Offbeat Mother and Daughter Strip Searched On Side of the Road

Discussion in 'News & Debate' started by Bworms1980, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Bworms1980

Bworms1980 Flame Bait

This happened a while back I believe but came across this story when my mother emailed it to me this afternoon and called cursing up a storm saying they would have had to arrest her for resisting arrest because she would not be able to stand there and watch someone hurt her kids, physically or mentally in this young girls case. Thanks mom. :happysad:

After the car search, deputy Gerald Knecht asked his supervisor, William Hayes, what to do. Hayes, head of the sheriff's office drug task force, is heard on a tape saying, "I ain't going to let my money walk."

FLORIDA, TALLAHASSEE - TALLAHASSEE � The attorney for a Delray Beach family who says they were illegally strip-searched on a North Florida roadside asked a jury Tuesday for at least $7 million in damages.

Rubin’s request came during his closing argument in a civil rights violations case before U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle. The case involves the allegations of a black family � Arnetta McCloud; her then-15-year-old daughter, Cynthia; and her then-16-year-old nephew, Marcus Frazier � that their constitutional rights were violated when they were pulled over and illegally detained for more than four hours by Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office deputies, who were white.

Arnetta and Cynthia also are suing for assault and battery, saying they were illegally strip-searched on a roadside in Jefferson County, east of Tallahassee.

Seven jurors � six white and one black � spent six hours deliberating the case Tuesday without reaching a verdict. They will resume discussions this morning.

Arnetta testified that a deputy lifted her shirt and searched inside her pants moments before forcing her daughter to disrobe from the waist down and using a flashlight to search the girl for cocaine. The female deputy who was called in from Leon County to search the women was not named as a defendant in the suit.

The five deputies who were named as defendants, including the now-retired Undersheriff Michael Joyner, denied there was any strip-search and said both women only were patted down.

They said Cynthia, who is now 20, offered to pull her pants down to show she was menstruating after a drug-sniffing dog alerted deputies to her seat in the car.

“These officers were out there on that dark road just like the McClouds,” defense attorney David Cornell said. “They didn’t have the luxury of listening to evidence for seven days like you (the jury). They believed what they did was within the law.”

Cornell urged jurors not to award any damages and to use “common sense” to determine the truth.

“Are the McClouds’ claims reasonable?” Cornell asked. “Do you really think she (Arnetta McCloud) would let her daughter walk away with the deputy after what supposedly had just happened to her?”

According to court testimony, the deputies first encountered the McClouds because an informant told them Arnetta’s husband, Freddy, was in the Jefferson County town of Monticello to sell an ounce of cocaine. After deputies gave the informant $450 to buy a half-ounce, he returned with the drugs and said Freddy McCloud planned to sell the rest later in Tallahassee.

Freddy McCloud and his family were pulled over by deputies around midnight on their way to the capital city. Several months later, Freddy McCloud was charged with selling cocaine, but the case was dropped when the informant refused to cooperate.

Deputies said the family was helpful during the search of the car and offered to let them search the home of Arnetta’s sister in Monticello.

“These officers were not out to violate anyone’s constitutional rights,” Cornell said. But the McClouds said they were subjected to racial slurs during the car search, while they were held in separate police cars against their will for more than two hours, and during a search of Arnetta’s sister’s home. None of the searches turned up drugs.

Source

You can read the whole story here, its a website pdf:
    Framing of Freddy McCloud

I think the problem with most of these police drug cases is that they so want to bust into a room filled top to bottom with drugs to get praised and attention and it doesn't matter who is hurt by it. I can't imagine what that young teen must have gone through and what the hell grown adults are thinking. Also the drug "informant" recanted because turns out although the police sent him to by drugs from the father of this family, the man didn't have anything to do with drugs, so Mr. informant bought drugs from someone else and said daddy McCloud sold it to him.
  2. UberSkippy

UberSkippy a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit

I find it interesting that based only on this one article you've already convicted the cops yet an empanled jury has yet to come to a decision after hearing far more testimony. I suspect you're biased against the police yourself and desperately WANT the cops to be guilty of a crime.

I'm not saying cops don't do shity things. I'm saying you're awfully quick to come to a judgement aren't you?
  3. Bworms1980

Bworms1980 Flame Bait

Actually the trial is over. I have nothing against good cops. It just upsets me when grown adults can't tell right from wrong and do things because they have the authority to. Doing that to a young girl on the side of the road is wrong regardless.
  4. Zeeky

Zeeky Flame Bait

So what decision did the jury end up coming to?