Old Mannford (Ghost Town): Massive hiking and Picture-taking excursion!

Discussion in 'Pix Pen' started by 3Dradio, Apr 1, 2008.

1. 3Dradio

3Dradio I seriously never change this shit. Premium

Both this photographic excursion and my previous "Road To Nowhere" photo-trip took place on or near Old Mannford, a ghost town. That being said, I suppose some historical clarification is in order:

Mannford was founded on the bank of the Cimarron river in 1906 just before Oklahoma's statehood in 1907. Until that time (and until roads and bridges were built) Thomas Mann's river fording service (hence the town's name "Mann's Ford") was the only way to cross the Cimarron river for 20 miles in either direction. That's a pain in the ass on horseback. Just to the east, the Cimarron ends and dumps into the Arkansas river.

In the 1950's, the Corps of Engineers conspired to build a dam at the mouth of the basin where the two rivers intersect to create what is now called Keystone Lake. The man-made lake meant the three towns in that basin would have to take drastic measures. The town of Keystone virtually disappeared off the map as it is now completely submerged by the lake. Cleveland (est. 1894) built a levy and remained in its original locale.

Mannford was forced to move as parts of the town would be underwater all the time, and the rest would be in danger of flooding. Townspeople pulled up their stakes and relocated to the new townsite 2.5 miles to the southeast. The original Mannford townsite (which was not submerged all the time) served as a state park and boat ramp until around 2001 when it was closed under mysterious circumstances.

This was an interesting photo opportunity that presented itself as we hiked to the original site.
    [​IMG]

It's a tree. Enjoy it.
    [​IMG]

This is also a tree, but it looks like the soil in which it was established has been eroded. Neat!
    [​IMG]

I believe it's called "lamb's ear", and I think it is edible.
    [​IMG]

Bits of crumbling foundation.
    [​IMG]

The foundation of Coonrod family home. They owned the bank (or something, right?).
    [​IMG]

The southeast corner of it.
    [​IMG]

This was just another opportunity which presented itself. That's a still-habitable area on the other side of the water where what used to be a race track is now little more than a run-down meth-infested trailer park.
    [​IMG]
  2. 3Dradio

Continued:

It's a shroom!

[​IMG]

Same branch I was standing on in another thread.
    [​IMG]

Another concrete slab that used to be somebody's house.
    [​IMG]

I think this is an herb called "Colt's Foot". I could be mistaken.
    [​IMG]

Plant green bottles. They will clear the air.
    [​IMG]

The old railroad bridge (makes you wonder why more people didn't die, doesn't it?
    [​IMG]

I like this root-bared tree more than the other one.
    [​IMG]

Oklahoma state tree: The Redbud.
    [​IMG]

WTF was this?
    [​IMG]
  3. Racist.
  4. THECOOK

THECOOK What's burning?

The next time that we go down there I`ll show you where grandpa lived. We should try and find his cellar. ;):D
  5. 3Dradio

You got a deal. I'll break out the machete to hack our way through all the downed trees, brush, and bullshit, and you bring that new bomb-ass camera you just bought.