WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

†Do Internet Relationships ever work?†

#1
Im back yet again but im kind of nervious about this relationship im having right now. No one knows this but ive been on like 4 online relationships only 3/4 times i was in love. But all of those for Internet Gf's broke up with me for some guy.

Fastward here i am 15 chatting with people on AIM and Myspace(It's addictive). Oh well one day this girl named Kristen tells me she loves me. Then all of a sudden i remember my past of how i use to have feelings for these girls online. But ive talked to Kristen before she and i are simaler in lifestyles and in personality(i know it's kind of weird but were simaler not siamiese twins.). So then i said "let's give it a try" and everyday we have IMED each other was awesome(my relationship has been going on for 3 days straight). We promised we would never break up. She lives in Cali i live in Arizona.

BUT THATS WHEN I started thinking. What if i can't keep up a conversasion, or if we can keep in contact... But yeah her aunt lives near me in AZ... But still i need help. I know im nervious and stuff but still this is tough. For me if anyone can help me it would be great.
 

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
7,550
406
302
#2
I think that Internet relationships have a much higher failure rate than RL ones. I've heard of them working out, they CAN, but I don't think it's likely. I would suggest that you actually meet the person before you call it a real relationship.
 

ericman123

CEO of the internet
288
2
0
#4
You're 15 years old..........might as well as give it a try man. Just be yourself and things might work out. If not, it's not like it's the end of your world.
 

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
6,775
281
118
#5
My... well I don't really know how I know him... he's 45 and he's the most immature person ever, really fun to hang out with :D

Well... he met a girl who lived in Japan through an online dating site, and they're married. So it can work out, but it doesn't more often than not.
 

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
4,165
5
102
#6
My idol is getting a divorce right now. Met his wife on the Internet. Rockstars are lonely too, you know. :thumbsup:
 

magnolia

Postaholic
4,093
61
112
#7
Ok, the shpeal.

My bf lived in Ohio and I live in Minnesota. (That's about a 14 hour drive.) We wanted to make it work. So he drove out here for Christmas and for my Prom and I flew out to his house over spring break. He decided to move to Minnesota and go to college with me. Now we're happily together and things are going great.

Now, he's 20 and I'm 18. At 15 it's going to be a lot harder to make this work. But if you two are determined to make this work you'll have to do what we did. You'll have to meet each other in person and really get to know one another. Buy a phone card and call her. (If she gives you her phone #.) There are ways to make internet relationships work, but it takes a lot of work and a lot of trust. Good luck to you two.
 

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
11,830
7,998
487
#8
No, Not with your age and circumstances.
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
1
0
#9
i have no idea if internet relationships work or not, but i did pick up on two things in your post.

firstly, to echo others here, you're 15. you really shouldn't be too worried about stuff like this, just be yourself and be open, someone will like that and you'll be in business. i remember being 15 and it was impossible to take advice but i wish i had, i wish i'd been a little slower in my decisions back then.
secondly, she has said she loves you. and you haven't met? this isn't right.. either she's playing games or is a little immature emotionally.

good luck.
 

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
585
0
0
#10
Do internet relationships work?

NO :thumbsdn:

Sorry, but I don't think that meeting people in manners such as these are smart. You could think you're talking to someone of your gender and one year younger that you but actually it's someone of the same gender fifty years older than you. This is not the voice of experience talking but just think about this before doing any of that. :(
 

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
1,488
23
102
#11
no way to internet dating. cross dressers. once found out I'd in fact been flirting with a guy, not a girl, for a month.. I will never ever, ever do internet flirting/dating/whatever again. ever. :eek: /shivers
 

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
446
0
0
#12
BRiT said:
No, Not with your age and circumstances.

Yep...exactly. Internet relationships can work out though. I met my husband in a chat room and we have been together for 10 years now. He's out of town tonight for work and I miss him like crazy.:(
 

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
1,723
4
38
#13
wwefan300 said:
Im back yet again but im kind of nervious about this relationship im having right now. No one knows this but ive been on like 4 online relationships only 3/4 times i was in love. But all of those for Internet Gf's broke up with me for some guy.

Fastward here i am 15 chatting with people on AIM and Myspace(It's addictive). Oh well one day this girl named Kristen tells me she loves me. Then all of a sudden i remember my past of how i use to have feelings for these girls online. But ive talked to Kristen before she and i are simaler in lifestyles and in personality(i know it's kind of weird but were simaler not siamiese twins.). So then i said "let's give it a try" and everyday we have IMED each other was awesome(my relationship has been going on for 3 days straight). We promised we would never break up. She lives in Cali i live in Arizona.

BUT THATS WHEN I started thinking. What if i can't keep up a conversasion, or if we can keep in contact... But yeah her aunt lives near me in AZ... But still i need help. I know im nervious and stuff but still this is tough. For me if anyone can help me it would be great.

One word, no...
 

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
4,165
5
102
#14
Again, to be a Repeating Randall here, just find yourself a local chick. Someone in your little hick town who you get along with good. Before you know it, you'll be getting more action that you'd ever imagine possible. :thumbsup:

And I fell ya, brother. I'm 15 too. But I've never deluded myself into thinking that at my age, I'd find the love of my life online. Just don't get into another one of these online "relationships" you have, and choose a suitable mate from your immediate surroundings. I mean, you go to school, right? I mean, I go to a fucking charter school (mostly independant study), and though it's fun to slack off all day and do your schoolwork while taking it easy, but it hurts the social aspect a lot. But you, you're fucking SURROUNDED by chicks, and about 12% could be yours. Or join a band. That's what I did. No matter how much your music blows , chicks love it. Go for it, and for Christ's sake, don't waste your life on the internet like we're all doing here.
 

Descent

Hella Constipated
7,686
165
157
#15
JLXC said:
I think that Internet relationships have a much higher failure rate than RL ones. I've heard of them working out, they CAN, but I don't think it's likely. I would suggest that you actually meet the person before you call it a real relationship.
Totally with JLXC on this, unless you live inside EverQuest nothing will ever happen right.

Hence why I'll never be in one ;).
 
1,456
2
0
#16
Alright, look man, three days straight is NOT a long time. Three months straight is still NOT a long time. If you've been talking to this girl and both of you are still interested and you've actually met and actually hung out a few times in three YEARS .. then you MIGHT have something.
 

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
6,588
2,430
337
#17
JLXC said:
I think that Internet relationships have a much higher failure rate than RL ones. I've heard of them working out, they CAN, but I don't think it's likely. I would suggest that you actually meet the person before you call it a real relationship.
dump her now i say, once you have had a real relationship then you will fall out of the feeling that you can date someone over the internet.
 
322
0
0
#18
fast food, ordering pizza online, 1-800-flowers, and now internet dates? the world is getting so lazy.

get away from the computer. find a real woman.
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
1
0
#20
slemaire195 said:
fast food, ordering pizza online, 1-800-flowers, and now internet dates? the world is getting so lazy.

get away from the computer. find a real woman.
in amsterdam they used to have a dial-a-dealer.. call him and he brings out weed or hash or E or whatever.. i think it was actually in the phonebook but it was definately high profile.. i imagine this is now an online service..