WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe 12 monkeys, 28 days later, resident evil...

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Everyone saw these movies.. In 12 monkeys 5 billion people die because of an ultra-deadly virus.

Currently there are secret labs all over the world where scientists play God with viruses. There is probably already some kind of deadly ass man-made virus out there, kept in military secret under military security. But it only takes one person with the drive to kill billions and the skill to get his hands on them to fuck it all up. With nanotechnology coming up, the deadliness potential of these viruses is going to be sick. So here's my question, do you think a 12 monkeys style scenario (minus the time travel) is likely to happen in the future?

Also, I know a couple of you are scientific amateurs, like Jamesp.. Yo. I heard that nanotech is going to potentially allow A.I. viruses.. like a robocop virus who fucking reproduces like hell and destroys all your inner tissues, takes about a few seconds and you're dead. Have you heard about this?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i totally agree that this is a horrific scenario, i'm not happy thinking about it..
but..
i love resident evil.. there's a part of me that would be pretty fucking pleased if my 'to do list' consisted of nothing more than shooting zombies in the face..

if the virus is a.i. controled, theyed target certain indivisuals? so it would be an assassination weapon, not mass destruction.

ps. resident evil owns

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
"12 monkeys, 28 days later, resident evil..."

I know the answer Alex: Name 3 movies that suck.

But to the topic:

Yes there are nasty viruses out there. Some of the worst we probably haven't even found. Marburg and Ebola are both relatively knew discoveries for us and occur naturally. Both are hemoragic fever typs firuses so you basically bleed to death. Neithe appears to be airborne but Marburg is about 50% fatal and ebola is between 90% and 98% fatal.

As far as nano-tech viruses I don't think so. There's always been this thing with nanotech that the machines would be able to be self replicating. But we're not talking about cells that can divide and multiply. We're talking about little robots that have to be built. I don't believe that the capability is anywhere near close to existing to build a robot that can build other robots out of the nutrients found in the human body. We have a hard enough time with developing an AI enough to allow a full sized robot to build a replica of itself in a factory full of spare parts.

There are a lot of scientists working with very dangerous virii. However I'd put money down that most of them are working to find cures, not to make weaponized forms of them.

I think the much larger threat will come from naturally occuring virii that mutate. Avian Influenza being the most likely culprit at the moment. Marburg or Ebola would also make very strong cadidates. All any one of those would have to do would be to mutate into an air born strain and you'd have one of those scenarios.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
RageAgainst said:
Everyone saw these movies.. In 12 monkeys 5 billion people die because of an ultra-deadly virus.

Currently there are secret labs all over the world where scientists play God with viruses. There is probably already some kind of deadly ass man-made virus out there, kept in military secret under military security. But it only takes one person with the drive to kill billions and the skill to get his hands on them to fuck it all up. With nanotechnology coming up, the deadliness potential of these viruses is going to be sick. So here's my question, do you think a 12 monkeys style scenario (minus the time travel) is likely to happen in the future?

Also, I know a couple of you are scientific amateurs, like Jamesp.. Yo. I heard that nanotech is going to potentially allow A.I. viruses.. like a robocop virus who fucking reproduces like hell and destroys all your inner tissues, takes about a few seconds and you're dead. Have you heard about this?

Yes there are, and bio warfare scares the shit out of me. We are ill prepared, nationally and on a global scale, to deal with this. Normal people like you and I are fucked, because do you really think they would even try to save us?

You are talking about nano-technology. I believe it does exist, but is in a development stage. Basically, it would be a germ sized robot that functions like a virus or malnoma, killing cells or protiens. The Perfect Assasin, untraceable it would dissipate in the blood stream or tissues after, say, a 24 hr period.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Worst case scenario for the virus would be that all game developers use Resident Evil 1 style controls in their games.

And Beavis and Butthead could accidentally carry it in their pants.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm not taking this seriously...I don't think we'd use these, the two World Wars taught us enough about secret alliances and such.

And the last thing humanity wants is another war...Or biological weapons used for the war.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Descent said:
Worst case scenario for the virus would be that all game developers use Resident Evil 1 style controls in their games.
or camera angles.. aaagh, that fucking zombie is there somewhere, if i could just turn enough to see him..

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Yep, it's possible for 12 monkey to happen any day, they have the viruses. It's not likely, because they generally don't let insane people work in those areas, but it's not impossible it'd get out.

I'm more scared of them letting some lab animal (for example the super mice) out and it causes world-wide havok as a result.

jamesp

In Memory...
UberSkippy said:
I think the much larger threat will come from naturally occuring virii that mutate. Avian Influenza being the most likely culprit at the moment. Marburg or Ebola would also make very strong cadidates. All any one of those would have to do would be to mutate into an air born strain and you'd have one of those scenarios.
Bird flu is a very real danger right now, as well as Marburg's disease and Ebola, but if any of these became airborn, you could expect casualties in the millions....tens oif millions. Hell avian influenza is already a threat to take out a significant percent of the population.

As to nano-assasins.....I doubt it. At the moment these little guys are, as DG already said, in the research and developement stage. And, thankfully, they are really only being researched to fix things, not break them. (i.e. nuclear power plants, brifges, and other sensitive structural damages.)

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
I truly doubt the military of any country would use a virus as a weapon simply because there is no control. I don’t think we need to worry about man made viruses when Mother Nature is far more inventive with them. I expect many more super bugs, SARS is a prime example of how defenceless wee are to such a threat.

Nano? Fuck off, this ain’t Star Trek. I don’t think we'll have to worry about that in our lifetime.

Eat a good diet to help boost your immune system, other than that, sit back and watch the world turn to zombies :D

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Piro said:
I truly doubt the military of any country would use a virus as a weapon simply because there is no control. I don’t think we need to worry about man made viruses when Mother Nature is far more inventive with them. I expect many more super bugs, SARS is a prime example of how defenceless wee are to such a threat.

Nano? Fuck off, this ain’t Star Trek. I don’t think we'll have to worry about that in our lifetime.

Eat a good diet to help boost your immune system, other than that, sit back and watch the world turn to zombies :D
I dont remember nano from Star Trek, ever. Its from Xfiles and Cowboy be bop and a few movies, but not Star Trek, unless its from deep space nine...mabye babylon five.

But its all possible, if not likely. You can not deny that.

Piro

dustinzgirl said:
But it’s all possible, if not likely. You can not deny that.
After reading the thread about the mighty mouse healing, I’ll just about believe anything is possible. I still doubt nano-technology will progress as far as stated above within our lifetime. Another frightening thought nether the less.

I think the Borgs(?) used nanos to convert people to their course in Star Trek. Not sure.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
dustinzgirl said:
I dont remember nano from Star Trek, ever.
Borg much?

Resistance if futile? Those guys? That one really hot chick from Voyager with the huge knockers and the very tight suit?

Kaabi

Flame Bait
I know, the viruses scientists are making are incredible. We should be focusing on the environment instead of killing each other.

Piro

UberSkippy said:
That one really hot chick from Voyager with the huge knockers and the very tight suit?
yea, those :D
Kaabi said:
I know, the viruses scientists are making are incredible. We should be focusing on the environment instead of killing each other.
as if that will ever happen...

Life is terminal. Be it Ebola, Some mutant bird flu, old age, getting hit by a Mac truck, Nature sending a hurricane/tsunami/earthquake/volcano/burning chunk of fucking rock from space to land on your city/town/dwelling and smash it to bits. If I worried about everything fucked up that scientists and the military was doing I would keel over of a heart attack or stroke out and have a aneurysm. If they cut loose a virus that can kill 90% of the worlds human population then it is just helping mother nature out with her system of checks and balances. If you are that scared of a virus then go lock your self up in a bubble and be like that kind in the movie. :) Thank you for your time and have a wonderful weekend.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Descent, did I say the military would use the viruses in the eventually of a war? NO.

In 12 monkeys, a scientist is responsible for the catastrophe.

I know that deadly man made viruses exist, and the fact they exist imply there is a slight (but real) possibility that one day, it goes out and kills people. Whether a madman gets his hand on it or it gets out by accident, there's still a possibility of it happening. And since we're in the fringe theory forum, I thought I'd share my fears of such a scenario happening. It would be devastating.

PS: you need to get laid

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
RageAgainst said:

OMG Conspiracy theory!! Never leave your house again!

jamesp

In Memory...
OMG moron, never touch your computer again!

Hatter

tea anyone?
All those sci-fi doomsday movies are further examples of how insecure the US is that something horrible will happen. Viruses contained in labs are not easy to spread. Despite what Hollywood may have engrained into your mind.

When smallpox was eradicated, it was preserved in a lab (in case it ever needed to be used in biological warfare - there's a comforting thought in itself). And there was one incident in the late 70's I believe, where it was set loose (not sure how).

It turned out that one person died, who was incidentally working in the lab, and the second victim, another examiner in the laboratory, killed himself.

Wow.

Hollywood: 5 billion
Real life: 2.