WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines 14 defining characteristics of Fascism

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
1,329
0
0
#1
By Dr. Lawrence Britt

Does this remind you of anything?

14 defining characteristics of Fascism

1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism - Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays.

2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights - Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of "need." The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc.

3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause - The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc.

4. Supremacy of the Military - Even when there are widespread domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized.

5. Rampant Sexism - The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Divorce, abortion and homosexuality are suppressed and the state is represented as the ultimate guardian of the family institution.

6. Controlled Mass Media - Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common.

7. Obsession with National Security - Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.

8. Religion and Government are Intertwined - Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed
to the government's policies or actions.

9. Corporate Power is Protected - The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite.

10. Labor Power is Suppressed - Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed.

11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts - Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts and letters is openly attacked.

12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment - Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations.

13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption - Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders.

14. Fraudulent Elections - Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.
 

Mr Cliche

The Chosen
54
0
0
#2
That's just fucking awesome, hook up with Noam Chomsky or something.
 

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
1,684
1
0
#3
who is the professor in california that they want to fire for his "leftist" comments? Ward or something?


I'm defecting to mexico
 
12
0
0
#6
voiceofreason said:
14 defining characteristics of Fascism.....
Wow.... very nicely done. That post says what I've been trying to say for a number of years now, but just don't have quite the knowledge to. But you forgot number 15:

#15. Following of blind idiocy. Every Facist regime thrives off of the support of a usually large number of blind idiots who would make tea with Comet if they were told to do so.
 

ferengi

Yay fire!
2,089
2
102
#7
Wow.
.
..
...
....
.....I HATE THE GOVERNMENT! :sword: :mad:
 

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
4,261
4
0
#8
ferengi74656 said:
Wow.
.
..
...
....
.....I HATE THE GOVERNMENT! :sword: :mad:
Meh, it is so "hip" to hate the government. I am going to buck that trend! I love the government! Take away my social security! Balk at a national health plan! Tax the poor, refund the rich! CMON BABY SAY IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT!
 

HunterXI

Ranting Liberal
12
0
0
#9
Oh yeah, screw Social Security, fuck 'Health Plans', shit on the Poor, and most of all, TAKE MY FREEDOMS, DAMNIT!

I swear. That's what Conservatives are on their knees begging for. *sigh*
 

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
1,329
0
0
#10
HunterXI said:
Oh yeah, screw Social Security, fuck 'Health Plans', shit on the Poor, and most of all, TAKE MY FREEDOMS, DAMNIT!

I swear. That's what Conservatives are on their knees begging for. *sigh*
They also like to bend-over...
 

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
1,218
0
0
#11
after a couple days of seeing this thread title I finally opened it up... and I found exactly what I thought I would find... I looked for a link in your original post, VOR, so I could see the page in its original form... but you didn't credit the author or provide a link.. so I looked it up .. and I could go through and debate every point and your implied/stated similarities to the current administration.. but I don't feel like taking that time right now..
.. so I will just remind you that when people were protesting at GWB's campaign stops.. when they were throwing things at his limo... none of them were tortured or executed... Mikey Moore still walks.... errr waddles his fat white rich ass around calling the Prez every name in the book... and even making up lies about the Prez... hmmm.. matter of fact.. I saw Farenheit 9-11 at Blockbuster ... that would never fly in a facist state...
the media is obviously not controlled by the government .. or we would never have heard of Abu Graib... cocaine use... drunk driving... missing WMDs... or AWOL from National Gaurd
being nationalistic doesn't mean someone is a facist....
natl security is an issue... remember 9-11...

*BTW.. the author of these 14 points has three other books out there.... all fiction...
 

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
1,329
0
0
#13
DanGeo23 said:
after a couple days of seeing this thread title I finally opened it up... and I found exactly what I thought I would find... I looked for a link in your original post, VOR, so I could see the page in its original form... but you didn't credit the author or provide a link.. so I looked it up .. and I could go through and debate every point and your implied/stated similarities to the current administration.. but I don't feel like taking that time right now..
.. so I will just remind you that when people were protesting at GWB's campaign stops.. when they were throwing things at his limo... none of them were tortured or executed... Mikey Moore still walks.... errr waddles his fat white rich ass around calling the Prez every name in the book... and even making up lies about the Prez... hmmm.. matter of fact.. I saw Farenheit 9-11 at Blockbuster ... that would never fly in a facist state...
the media is obviously not controlled by the government .. or we would never have heard of Abu Graib... cocaine use... drunk driving... missing WMDs... or AWOL from National Gaurd
being nationalistic doesn't mean someone is a facist....
natl security is an issue... remember 9-11...

*BTW.. the author of these 14 points has three other books out there.... all fiction...
I've credited the author - thanks SO much. We can all sleep better knowing that...

And all that shit your prattling on about Michael Moore doesn't mean a dam thing.

This is STILL the United States, even if the powers that be would destroy it, we still have rights here, at least for the moment...

The bottom line is that those 14 points are a mirror reflection of the current administration.
 

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
1,218
0
0
#15
blah blah blah...
I'm a facist..
and you're a socialist...

its funny how people have such a problem with our government that they label it as an evil facist regime... yet have no condemnation for brutal dictatorships...
 

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
4,674
46
0
#16
voiceofreason said:
I've credited the author - thanks SO much. We can all sleep better knowing that...

And all that shit your prattling on about Michael Moore doesn't mean a dam thing.

This is STILL the United States, even if the powers that be would destroy it, we still have rights here, at least for the moment...

The bottom line is that those 14 points are a mirror reflection of the current administration.
Basically thats what he said. Is this is America and you have the right to say that shit. However that right doesn't make it true...

:/

I don't know how you missed the simple point