WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

2000 Pro

Descent

Hella Constipated
I just loaded this shit on, and WHOA! This fucker is fast!

My GUI runs so much faster, I have to adjust my typing now, because there is no delay!

Also, it installed in about 7 minutes :).

I'm definitely going to keep using this. I'll evaluate it's stability...If it sucks, I'll switch back to Server 2003.

What are your experiences with this OS?

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
What are your experiences with this OS?
It was cool, in 1998. It's a great OS though, I know a lot of people who still run it. We still have a few servers running @k at work, they've always been stable. XP/2003 do handle memory and paging a lot better though. Not to mention, the GUI is pretty boring.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I actually prefer the GUI over the "candy land" GUI in XP/2003.

This GUI is also a fucking speed demon, which atumoatically wins points.

1998? It says (C)1999!

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
I actually prefer the GUI over the "candy land" GUI in XP/2003.

This GUI is also a fucking speed demon, which atumoatically wins points.
Who runs the default theme anyway? I like the new start menu, when used with a compact theme. My favorite so far is OpusOS. :thumbsup:

1998? It says (C)1999!
I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure it was out in 98. Eh, it's been a while.

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
businesses with a partnership with microsoft get software about a year before everyone else.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
Actually, it launched in February 2000.
I stand corrected then. Like I said though, it's been a while.
Hypertron said:
businesses with a partnership with microsoft get software about a year before everyone else.
OEMs don't, but members of MSDN do.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I've been using 2k since it came out. Stable as a bitch. :thumbsup:
Anyone who can't run 2k relatively trouble free, better pack up his computer and ship it back. He's too stupid to own one.

Descent

Hella Constipated
OH SHIT!

I had a driver crash, and now Add/Remove Programs stopped opening. What do I do to fix this? I'm running some third party shit that I really hate right now.

(Fucking motherboards. AC'97 Audio - "Auto." Funny how it didn't turn it off when it says "PCI Slot X - Multimedia Audio Controller." Yes, that was the Turtle Beach there.)

tzedek

Original Member
I love win2k, but why not just use XP and strip all the graphical shit out?

Descent

Hella Constipated
XP is so bloated that it's nowhere even near 50% as stable.

I'm running 98 right now though. This old K6-2 doesn't have enough RAM to run 2000 Pro well. It only has 96MB.

tzedek

Original Member
Descent said:
XP is so bloated that it's nowhere even near 50% as stable.

I'm running 98 right now though. This old K6-2 doesn't have enough RAM to run 200 Pro well. It only has 96MB.

:rolleyes: since you know what you are talking about lets hear an explanation

Descent

Hella Constipated
Well, upon boot, it only had 8MB of RAM free.

I had to use Cacheman in order for it to get another 20MB free...Of course, the machine was still slow then.

I never should have given all my big-ass SDRAM sticks to my buddy :(.