WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

31 flavors of flaming

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I thought it would be interesting to ask everyone to describe the best technique for flaming. No answer is right or wrong, because we all have our own style. It's kind of like a verbal martial art. Anywho grasshopper, try to put into words your flame style.

I'd say my flame style is actually an alter ego. If any of you knew me in my physical world, you would know me as someone who is responsible, eager to help people, pretty likeable, easy to make friends with. I'm fairly sure I come across that way even online, when I'm posting something serious or of any real substance. Which brings me to another part of the real me, I'm a bit of a class clown type, but not to the obnoxious extent. I believe that is how I developed my method for flamework.

In B&T and any other forum when I feel the urge for some brawling, I tend to be condescending, patronizing, arrogant, and like to surprise my opponent with something unexpected. I also like to study my opponent for weaknesses and use them against them. I tend to hold back a bit until the target of my fury starts to feel secure in their flamehood. Often I like to set verbal traps, saying things early in the thread in hopes to force my opponent into a particular direction. Once they've played into it, and taken the confrontation the way I want it to go, I spring with cat like precision, using their own words against them.
Then there are of course many instances when the old vanilla "you homo" in large font, bold with Italics, is very effective; if timed just right. One of the most important things is, not to get too personal. Everyone enjoys the challenge of B&T, but I don't like to come out of there feeling like I said something that hit home with somone. There are of course those occasions when someone drives you to, not feel so bad about it.

morelos

lexicon incognito
i often use the same setup; baiting someone into a simple trap or a contradiction. i'm lucky that i retain things very well; i can cross-reference relevant material and use it to bust a logical cap in someone's ass.

however my fatal flaw when i flame is that i try to structure it so OTHERS will enjoy it, as opposed to setting it up to maximize how retarded the target feels.

i have more fun flaming when people laugh at my target rather than my target just getting pissed off.

~ dan ~

Big E

burner of random shit
I use the retarted noob method of flaming that where I just start saying dirty words and then think Im cool.lol

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Ummm, I just type the first thing that comes to my mind....I dont put as much thought into it as you men, because I am a woman and we tend to think on multiple levels and therefore think faster and do not need a pre planned attack, unless it involves shopping (thats a joke boys).

:p

morelos

lexicon incognito
as you can see, from my signature, clearly your comment about thinking faster was false. :D

or perhaps you have so many thoughts simultaneously that they interfere with each other?

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
morelos said:
as you can see, from my signature, clearly your comment about thinking faster was false. :D

or perhaps you have so many thoughts simultaneously that they interfere with each other?
Option 2, thats why I have decision making problems, most women do. Men think on one wavelength. Not joking, it is a scientific fact.

morelos

lexicon incognito
dustinzgirl said:
Option 2, thats why I have decision making problems, most women do. Men think on one wavelength. Not joking, it is a scientific fact.
you know, i've heard this from so many people (all female), and nobody has ever given me a source, but i've noticed i've never seen anyone noticeably better than i am at multitasking-oriented things (such as driving, working on the computer while talking, other such dumb shit). i'd have to say my experience has been the contrary; that most men i know are better multi-focused thinkers than most women i know. i'd love to read some of those studies.

you know, it's also a "scientific fact" that bigger-breasted women are smarter than littler-breasted women. and that's also something i've seen to be the exact opposite of the truth.

~ dan ~

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Big E said:
I use the retarted noob method of flaming that where I just start saying dirty words and then think Im cool.lol
A classic, but highly effective.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
morelos said:

So it's not a matter of I/O speed or processing, It's a matter of filtering. Ahhh, yes, very interesting.

Lawdawg428

Ranter
i tend to say the first shit that come into my fucking skull but it is better when some one makes a dumb ass statement

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
Well...I did graduate at the top of my class at Haaarvard.Way back in...
..Oh,come now..umm,yes,yes...in 89.
I did eventually move on to be the best Stupidology graduate ever.
Nowadays I like to combine that knowledge with my martial arts studies.
A ninja like art of stupifacation.I find that it works rather well.

Never underestimate your own stupidity.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Lawdawg428 said:
i tend to say the first shit that come into my fucking skull but it is better when some one makes a dumb ass statement
Like taking a test, go with your first answer.

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
I've taken a personal liking to the "father figure" method. I act like from father to son or boss to employee. The flamee is my subordinate, and it's my duty to put him back in his rightful place for his own damn good. I also prefer to wait until the idiot shoots himself in the foot somewhere during a post before I come in and deliver my payload, it makes the job easier.

I'm also a big fan of big huge images like this one:

Or this one: