WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines 55mph

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
In light of the gas prices and the possibility of shortages does anyone think that it could be time for a mandatory 55mph limit again?
I just read in consumer report that since 1981 vehicles in the USA have increased in horsepower by 89% for cars and 99% for trucks.. this coupled with the congestion in most urban areas leads me to believe that the best long-term plan if we stay with gas engines is smaller vehicles (and this is likely to happen), but the best short term plan is to limit speed.. a lot less authoritarian than another option available, that of restrictive useage.
I already drive at 60 on the interstate, i'm fully aware of other roadusers and pose no danger, and before you attempt to shoot me out of the tree i'm hugging consider this, do you really need to get there that fast?

jamesp

In Memory...
I dont think the difference in gas between 55 and 85 mph is that big. Certainly it could not hurt, but I would just as soon get there faster than more efficiently.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
jamesp said:
I dont think the difference in gas between 55 and 85 mph is that big. Certainly it could not hurt, but I would just as soon get there faster than more efficiently.
i thought that too.. but there must be a reason why they made it 55 last time..

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
I remember some little blurb from physics class that said if you accelerate at twice the rate you need to use four times the fuel. Personally, I have tried to make my driving more fuel efficient by accelerating less intensly, driving slower than I would a year ago, and taking full advantage of downward slopes as a means to accelerate the car. I also have been driving much less. At $30 a tank it doesn't seem as fun anymore.

Hater808

The hate still Shapes me
One of the reasons the speed limit it 55. Is the aspaht you drive on has a top speed before it begins to get major wear and tear. They are usally set at around 80. On highways its concreate and strong that why the speed limit increases there. Antway my ploice offcer friend told me that. It sounds pretty accurate. Some times tou need to speed to stay away from stupid drivers that will hurt you. It all about the defensive driving :)

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
I don't want to school anyone but there was a survey dont by some magazine a wile ago, the differance between 55 mph and 65 mph was 1 to 3 mpg in a f150. It only takes 4 horse power to drive 55 mph on any highway, but it takes almost 10 hp to drive 65. As for the size of any given car or truck, its the driving habits that make a differance. I have a 1982 f250 that gets 20 mpg. It has a 16 gallon fuel tank, runs on gas, and I fill it up about every 2 weeks.

Some advice on saving fuel; When driving in the city, drive like you have an egg between your foot and the gas pedle, and use your cruse control on the highway. If you don't have cruse control, hold your foot as steddy as posible. DON"T try to accelerate down hill, your engine has to pull extra fuel into the engine to cool the cylinders. Just keep the same speed.

void said:
In light of the gas prices and the possibility of shortages does anyone think that it could be time for a mandatory 55mph limit again?
Holy shit, man! You're advocating that we create yet another law to save us from....from what??
What on earth would a mandatory 55mph speed limit do except increase revenue for city/county/state judiciaries?
Lower speed limits won't lower fuel prices, and people are still gonna speed. I say just let the idiots pay for the gas they use. I don't need another fucking law telling me what I can and can't do...

Siffeler

Banned - What an Asshat!
Hater808 said:
One of the reasons the speed limit it 55. Is the aspaht you drive on has a top speed before it begins to get major wear and tear. They are usally set at around 80. On highways its concreate and strong that why the speed limit increases there. Antway my ploice offcer friend told me that. It sounds pretty accurate. Some times tou need to speed to stay away from stupid drivers that will hurt you. It all about the defensive driving :)
umm... no the idea of a speed limit is to save lifes by making you drivi slower which is alot safer and your and aloud to drive faster on high ways because its
safer

hmm thought that was kinda obvious
ne way