WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Offbeat 75 Year-old Woman gets Busted for a Small Pot Plant on Her Balcony.

Slacker

Postaholic
She should know the difference between pot and a flower......

Link

ATHENS, Greece - A 75-year-old Greek woman has been charged with drug offenses after police in her a sleepy island village spotted a small cannabis plant growing on her balcony, authorities said.

Hariklia Griva, a widowed mother of four from Ayiassos, on the eastern Aegean Sea island of Lesvos, was arrested Wednesday and charged with growing cannabis with the intent of trafficking in the drug. She was released on bail of $2,480.

The retiree, whose late husband was a policeman, told police the 16 inch potted plant grew from seed dropped by her pet canaries. The birds live in a cage on the balcony overlooking a busy Ayiassos street - opposite the local police station.

"I couldn't believe it, when they told me I was being arrested," Griva said. "The plant must have grown from the bird seed. I had no idea what the plant was. I watered it regularly. I thought it looked quite nice.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
they are super strict in greece, contrary to most of europe.. all the brits i know who work in greece and cyprus for the summer every year just give up smoking for the duration..

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
This is rediculous. What 75 year old lady goes off distributing dope? They should've just told her what it was and she probobly would have agreed to let them distroy it without incident. But the law must be the same for everyone, I guess.

Slacker

Postaholic
void said:
they are super strict in greece, contrary to most of europe.. all the brits i know who work in greece and cyprus for the summer every year just give up smoking for the duration..

The Netherlands have coffee shops that let you smoke in them. But mainly in Holland. You would see people there doing it. But there was so many places doing it that I think the police just let it go.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Linksy said:
The Netherlands have coffee shops that let you smoke in them. But mainly in Holland. You would see people there doing it. But there was so many places doing it that I think the police just let it go.
cannabis is still illegal in holland, but it's tolerated.. you won't get in trouble if you behave and don't have too much, the coffee shops selling it are licenced and can (officially) sell up to 28 grams/ 1 oz per deal.. britain now has a level of toleration towards cannabis, again it's still illegal but the authorities are very reluctant to bother with it, it is so prevalant.. spain is very tolerant with it, switzerland is very tolerant with all drugs.. france, germany, italy less so but still no big problem.. i think the big difference between europe and the usa is that europe doesn't want all it's kids to have a police record for simply smoking a joint, america hasn't got to that point yet.

they should just trug test her and do a finger nail test.

see if she has indeed smoked and\or sold it...

such an old woman.

Slacker

Postaholic
slemaire195 said:
they should just trug test her and do a finger nail test.

see if she has indeed smoked and\or sold it...

such an old woman.
That would probally what happened. I don't think they would throw her in jail for finding pot on her balcony without seeing if it was actually hers or if it was there on accident.

Iron Newt

Banned - What an Asshat!
OMG! I dont mean to flame you guys but you are very ignorant. First of all, The Netherlands ARE Holland. Just so you know, In holland they know themselves as Niederlande, which was translated to Neatherlands, but the official name you Amerikans gave them is Holland. Also weed is legal in Holland, but you can not commercially sell large amounts of weed itself. Next, I am not sure about the other countries you mentioned, but Germany is one of the most uptight countries in the world about drugs. The police check cars from Holland like crazy for drugs. Anyway to add something usefull to the conversation,This is something . I dont care if that lady did it or not. I would gladly be the grandson of either of them :p

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Iron Newt said:
OMG! I dont mean to flame you guys but you are very ignorant. First of all, The Netherlands ARE Holland. Just so you know, In holland they know themselves as Niederlande, which was translated to Neatherlands, but the official name you Amerikans gave them is Holland. Also weed is legal in Holland, but you can not commercially sell large amounts of weed itself. Next, I am not sure about the other countries you mentioned, but Germany is one of the most uptight countries in the world about drugs. The police check cars from Holland like crazy for drugs. Anyway to add something usefull to the conversation,This is something . I dont care if that lady did it or not. I would gladly be the grandson of either of them :p
weed isn't legal in holland.. it's tolerated.
“For the record, trafficking in (importing or exporting) selling producing
possessing either hard or soft drugs are offences in the Netherlands. However,
the use of drugs is not an offence.”

Netherlands Minister of Justice
FAQ: Have Drugs Been Legalized in the Netherlands
http://www.minjust.nl:8080/a_beleid/thema/drugs/qenaa.htm#a2.

The penalty for trafficking soft drugs is 2 years imprisonment and/or a fine of
25,000 Guilders.

Netherlands Minister of Justice
FAQ: Drug Offense Penalties
http://www.minjust.nl:8080/a_beleid/thema/drugs/qenab.htm#b8.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=3074

google is your friend.

stuntboy

P-towns finest
Damn

damn thats fucked up
thats also invation of property
man let her go she's old :thumbsdn:

magnolia

Postaholic
way to go granny. I don't think they should have arrested her cuz she obviously didn't have a clue what she was growing. They should have just told her that she couldn't grow it and that it needed to be disposed of.