8 Years at WTF!? Story time

ib4

Error
Staff
SIGH(peaceful happy sigh)

I've been here 8 years now as of this month(July 30). I still love this place as much as when I first joined. I remember I was really wanting to find a good forum in 2014. I started at computers and my love for them when I was 14 years old. When I first moved out the hood and was finally living in a decent place with privileges. One of those privs was having a computer. DSL and being connected to the internet was brand new...I knew what dial up was from seeing it here and there at friends house using AOL and playing in chat rooms...but never my own at home. I remember my brother in law showing me how to use the search engine Yahoo as well as how to download music from Audio Galaxy. That was really dope to me, being able to download all the music i loved o___O.

In those years living with my sister, I spent a ton of time doing two things, playing outside with friends and being on the computer. I taught my self to be fluent using all of LAMP for web dev. The internet was just beginning to play around with CSS and Photoshop based layouts(see *** pic section at bottom of post), the good ol days eh? I played this virtual chat game called COKEMUSIC. Remember in the early 2000s if you bought a Coca Cola product, the drinks had a code under the cap? That was meant for the game they had at cokemusic[.]com. It was such a fun game. I looked forward to every day getting online, chatting with online friends, building my room, making music, playing in public areas to try and chart...

1658238706653.png

I discovered a few fan sites, one of them, the most popular, was doing so well, the MODs of the Coca Cola game partnered with them to give them exclusive upcoming info on releases. This fan site was a total custom LAMP web portal and custom forum. It was beautiful and such a well done project for that time of the internet. This website and this 16 year old kid that made the site is what I followed after to learn to do the same thing. I spent 2003-2009 at this website. We had many good times and it was a privilege for all of teens to have this cool spot to hang.

1658238892928.png.1658238939903.png

This website is what left that longing feeling to be apart of a good forum community. I saw many of the years but none of them hit right. Then in 2014 I don't even remember how I ended up here, probably like everyone else typing in WTF and seeing what comes up, I find WTF!? The first thing that hooked me was the art and style of the site. Below is a picture with my username in the online section, about 4-5 days of being here. I was hooked instantly once I signed in and start reading around and participating in conversation.

I was fortunate to have joined while there was still plenty of active convo. There was still a very clear feeling of a "time that once was" and many folks were no longer there. It was still enjoyable all the same to read old threads and convo and get an idea of the history and past of WTF!?. I was happy to have found such a unique forum community, I was happy to have an online home finally. Its been great all these years and sad to see the online involvement dissipate, but hey, that's what happens as the internet changes.

Cheers to 8 years, I hope WTF!? continues to survive in some kind of way! Thanks @BRiT @Jason for allowing me to be apart of the staff family, I appreciate it and love it. Thank you @BrIONwoshMunky @MaxPower @gehtfuct @Jane Deere @Swah (and at the time @Haresy) for being so welcoming and down right awesome when I joined the staff team.

1658239260367.png

***Snapshot of websites at the time when CSS and Photoshop were the way to make websites (LOL @ the affiliate section at the top right. That was all the rage making a few different size badges for your site and sharing them with other sites to gain cross traffic)

1658239555887.png

Last edited:

RebelBuddha

Kre8orOfChaos
Congrats on 8 years. Just made me realize I've been here 16.

This might be the only thing I've been committed to for as long. Well, aside from being a mostly insufferable smart ass red headed step child.

I lurk IRL.

Semper Fi Devil nuts.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
8 years and 16 years at WTF. I remember hitting those milestones myself. Ok, not really. I can't remember shit.

ib4

Error
Staff
I just realized I forgot to add, coincidentally at this time to(we got married a little before 2 years of me being here), I'm sure you all remember my constant photobombing of my wife and I?

Today we move out of our house...and she goes to her apartment and I go to mine :laugh:

• Separating for a year, if we do the work good, if not, divorce
  • all is good and amicable, we parent the same, she has her money I have mine, all is good--there will be no divorce war
  • I don't like to blame, all I'll say is there's things I don't want to deal with anymore(ex. we decide to do therapy individually then together, I did a 1 year 2 month run, she did a...1 month run)
  • Excited to feel some independence. I grew up poor, joined the military, got out and lived at my ex-gf place, then moved in with my current wife and her mom, then moves into an apartment together, went from nothing to very very lucrative and successful career. Never got to feel what its like to be an adult all on my own paying for things, my own place, etc. Excited for many of these things

BeautifulSniper

Lovely And Deadly
Premium
I just realized I forgot to add, coincidentally at this time to(we got married a little before 2 years of me being here), I'm sure you all remember my constant photobombing of my wife and I?

Today we move out of our house...and she goes to her apartment and I go to mine :laugh:

• Separating for a year, if we do the work good, if not, divorce
  • all is good and amicable, we parent the same, she has her money I have mine, all is good--there will be no divorce war
  • I don't like to blame, all I'll say is there's things I don't want to deal with anymore(ex. we decide to do therapy individually then together, I did a 1 year 2 month run, she did a...1 month run)
  • Excited to feel some independence. I grew up poor, joined the military, got out and lived at my ex-gf place, then moved in with my current wife and her mom, then moves into an apartment together, went from nothing to very very lucrative and successful career. Never got to feel what its like to be an adult all on my own paying for things, my own place, etc. Excited for many of these things
I'm glad to see your optimism! I hope everything works out!