WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines 9/11 Panel Upholds Iraq-al-Qaida Finding

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
WASHINGTON - The Sept. 11 commission is standing by its finding that al-Qaida had only limited contact with Iraq before the terrorist attacks.

The 10-member, bipartisan panel issued a one-sentence statement Tuesday saying it had access to the same information as Vice President Dick Cheney, who suggested strong ties between ousted Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein and al-Qaida.

That assertion was one of the justifications the Bush administration gave for going to war with Iraq. In a preliminary report released last month, the Sept. 11 commission cited contacts between Saddam's regime and Osama bin Laden but said there was no "collaborative relationship."

In an interview with CNBC, Cheney had said there "probably" was information about Iraq's links to terrorists that the commission members did not learn during their 14-month investigation. The commission statement Tuesday disputed that.

"After examining available transcripts of the vice president's public remarks, the 9/11 commission believes it has access to the same information the vice president has seen regarding contacts between al-Qaida and Iraq prior to the 9/11 attacks," the commission said.

The commission's vice chairman, former Democratic Rep. Lee Hamilton of Indiana, said on ABC's "This Week" that the panel "asked the vice president if he had information we did not have."

"Obviously, if there is some information, we need it," he said.

But Cheney's spokesman, Kevin Kellems, denied that the commission asked the vice president for additional information.

Since no information was provided, the panel wished to make clear that after some double-checking it was basing its findings on the same intelligence and material that Cheney had, Democratic commissioner Timothy Roemer said in an interview.

"Our position is firm, unchanged and committed to our previous finding," said Roemer, a former congressman from Indiana. "We have not discovered collaboration-cooperation between al-Qaida and Iraq in general terrorist activities across the world, against the United States."

Cheney - lying sack of shit...

morelos

lexicon incognito
voiceofreason said:
Cheney - lying sack of shit...
so, what you're really saying is a complicated version of, "no news."

~ dan ~

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
if U harbor terrorists.... (U finish the rest)... Umm... read the testimony of William Cohen... for a Iraq al Quieda link...

Self-serving media

morelos

lexicon incognito
i've got a better idea. here's the william cohen testimony.

http://www.fruzzetti.org:8080/extras/cohen.txt

why don't you find for me and quote exactly the statement that clearly states there is an iraq/al qaeda link.

~ dan ~

today you get to learn how to quote something if you want to convince someone that you're right about something. i'm gonna give you a chance to read through the ENTIRE TESTIMONY, which i gave you (and i skimmed it myself and found nothing). when you reply with some sidestepping, name-calling bs like you did earlier about clinton, as opposed to substantiating your claim given EVERY BIT OF documentation, i will not fly the BS flag.

but if you don't reply, or you make something up, or you decide to quote some vague implication and call it the 'proof' you're discussing, you're gonna get several of these: :bs:

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
DanGeo23 said:
if U harbor terrorists.... (U finish the rest)... Umm... read the testimony of William Cohen... for a Iraq al Quieda link...

Self-serving media
For God sakes! Go to Northern New Jersey, there are tons of terrorists there. Yes, the U.S. let's terrorists into this country - I guess we're "harboring" them. Perhaps we should attack ourselves.

Every country in the world has terrorists. Wake up...

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
Concurrently, the U.S. intelligence community obtained physical evidence from outside the al-Shifa facility in Sudan that supported long-standing concerns regarding its potential role in Sudanese chemical weapon efforts that could be exploited by al Qaeda. The al-Shifa facility had been under surveillance for some time because of a variety of intelligence reports, including HUMINT reports identifying it as a WMD-related facility, indirect links between the facility and Bin Laden and the Iraqi chemical weapons program, and extraordinary security – including surface-to-air missiles – used to protect it during its construction. The direct physical evidence from the scene obtained at that time convinced the U.S. intelligence community that their suspicions were correct about the facility’s chemical weapons role and that there was a risk of chemical agents getting into the hands of al Qaeda, whose interest in obtaining such weapons was clear.
I know what you will say.. "Indirect"... that just means they didn't find Saddams signature on anything...

more links from the facility

John McWethy national security corrospondant
Before the pharmaceutical plant was reduced to rubble by American cruise missiles, the CIA was secretly gathering evidence that ended up putting the facility on America's target list. Intelligence sources say their agents clandestinely gathered soil samples outside the plant and found, quote, "strong evidence" of a chemical compound called EMPTA, a compound that has only one known purpose, to make VX nerve gas. The U.S. had been suspicious for months, partly because of Osama bin Laden's financial ties, but also because of strong connections to Iraq. Sources say the U.S. had intercepted phone calls from the plant to a man in Iraq who runs that country's chemical weapons program.
A senior intelligence official who briefed
reporters at the time was asked which countries make VX using EMPTA. "Iraq is the only country we're aware of," the official said. "There are a variety of ways of making VX, a variety of recipes, and EMPTA is fairly unique."

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
voiceofreason said:
For God sakes! Go to Northern New Jersey, there are tons of terrorists there. Yes, the U.S. let's terrorists into this country - I guess we're "harboring" them. Perhaps we should attack ourselves.

Every country in the world has terrorists. Wake up...
you are right we have them here... we need to shutdown the borders and enforce immigration laws... check out everyone that comes in here.. citizenship lotteries obviously aren't helping us stay safe... but the Left and the Right will never shutdown the borders because of thier own self serving needs..

morelos

lexicon incognito
dangeo23 said:
Concurrently, the U.S. intelligence community obtained physical evidence from outside the al-Shifa facility in Sudan that supported long-standing concerns regarding its potential role in Sudanese chemical weapon efforts that could be exploited by al Qaeda. The al-Shifa facility had been under surveillance for some time because of a variety of intelligence reports, including HUMINT reports identifying it as a WMD-related facility, indirect links between the facility and Bin Laden and the Iraqi chemical weapons program
lololooll.. that's not even indirect. that's hearsay. let me trim the fat; read the bold type...

ok so let's organize this more clearly in our minds to understand what it says. i'm aware those are some long sentences.

it says "we found proof that we're not sure whether this facility in sudan could possibly be taken advantage of by al qaeda (note, that doesn't exclude the possibility of al qaeda sacking it in an attack to 'exploit' it). we've been watching it for a long time but we still can't clearly connect it to bin laden or iraq."

an entire paragraph of nothing. that's what these politicians do best.

~ dan ~

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
Ambassador Bill Richardson, at the time U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, and current Govener of New Mexico(D) on Wolf Blitzers show
"We know for a fact, physical evidence, soil samples of VX precursor--chemical precursor at the site," said Richardson. "Secondly, Wolf, direct evidence of ties between Osama bin Laden and the Military Industrial Corporation--the al Shifa factory was part of that. This is an operation--a collection of buildings that does a lot of this dirty munitions stuff. And, thirdly, there is no evidence that this precursor has a commercial application. So, you combine that with Sudan support for terrorism, their connections with Iraq on VX, and you combine that, also, with the chemical precursor issue, and Sudan's leadership support for Osama bin Laden, and you've got a pretty clear cut case."
Lieberman:
"I want to be real clear about the connection with terrorists. I've seen a lot of evidence on this. There are extensive contacts between Saddam Hussein's government and al Qaeda and other terrorist groups. I never could reach the conclusion that [Saddam] was part of September 11. Don't get me wrong about that. But there was so much smoke there that it made me worry. And you know, some people say with a great facility, al Qaeda and Saddam could never get together. He is secular and they're theological. But there's something that tied them together. It's their hatred of us."
everyone came to the same conclusion using the same intel...

morelos

lexicon incognito
"We know for a fact, physical evidence, soil samples of VX precursor--chemical precursor at the site," said Richardson. "Secondly, Wolf, direct evidence of ties between Osama bin Laden and the Military Industrial Corporation--the al Shifa factory was part of that. This is an operation--a collection of buildings that does a lot of this dirty munitions stuff. And, thirdly, there is no evidence that this precursor has a commercial application. So, you combine that with Sudan support for terrorism, their connections with Iraq on VX, and you combine that, also, with the chemical precursor issue, and Sudan's leadership support for Osama bin Laden, and you've got a pretty clear cut case."
only one mention of iraq. al shifa is in sudan. the military industrial corporation sold weapons to buyers. that's not 'harboring terrorists.' if it is, we're much more guilty. nicaragua, panama, iran, iraq, afghanistan... we've sold them all weapons.

no buying, and just because someone says sudan supports osama bin laden doesn't automatically mean osama bin laden is doing anything with the sudanese; he was exiled, mind you.

There are extensive contacts between Saddam Hussein's government and al Qaeda and other terrorist groups. I never could reach the conclusion that [Saddam] was part of September 11. Don't get me wrong about that. But there was so much smoke there that it made me worry. And you know, some people say with a great facility, al Qaeda and Saddam could never get together. He is secular and they're theological. But there's something that tied them together. It's their hatred of us."
100% genuine rhetoric hearsay.

"this guy said there was a connection and then pointed out a similarity; HE MUST BE RIGHT"

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
Thats a good one.. wish we had some good political cartoonists on the "good guys" side :)

only one mention of iraq
VX can be made in different ways.. the residue of the VX they found outside the Sudanese "asprin factory" that Clinton bombed... had a specific chemical that is apparently unique to the way that the Iraqis make it...

the military industrial corporation sold weapons to buyers.
truthfully I thought it was supposed to be an asprin factory not a Mil Ind corp...

just because someone says sudan supports osama bin laden doesn't automatically mean osama bin laden is doing anything with the sudanese
I know.. the Sudanese were prolly afraid to boot his ass out.. even though they offered him to the US and we played Hot potato with the idea and tried to get the Saudis to take him... but they were afraid too..

if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, shits like a duck, eats like a duck, flies like a duck.. it must be a dog....

**~AAAFLACK!!!~**

tzedek

Original Member
DanGeo23 said:
VX can be made in different ways.. the residue of the VX they found outside the Sudanese "asprin factory" that Clinton bombed... had a specific chemical that is apparently unique to the way that the Iraqis make it...

prove it.

tzedek

Original Member
DanGeo23 said:
the residue of the VX they found outside the Sudanese "asprin factory" that Clinton bombed... had a specific chemical that is apparently unique to the way that the Iraqis make it...

prove that i meant.

morelos

lexicon incognito
oh yeah, they verified the aspirin plant that clinton ordered bombed really was an aspirin facility.