WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

A Letter to the President

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dear Mr. President,
As I am sure you know, the recent disasters of both Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita have been devastating to all Americans. I, as well as most every other American, am thankful for both the monetary and the physical aid you have sent to the homeless and afflicted in New Orleans. However, this has raised a couple of questions in my mind.
What are you doing, or do you plan to do, about the legions of homeless and underprivileged Americans all over the nation? I am sure you are well informed about this subject so I will be brief. Los Angeles County alone, in 2003, was home to an estimated 82,096 homeless men and women (http://www.weingart.org/institute/research/facts/pdf/JusttheFactsHomelessnessLA.pdf). Obviously, this is an enormous problem, not just for those who are homeless or underprivileged but for those who are distressed and sympathetic to the homeless. Homeless shelters are overcrowded and often under funded, and police are often accused of brutality towards the homeless and “herding”, or the practice of simply moving the homeless elsewhere in order to sweep the problem under the rug. These conditions are unfit and appalling, and starkly confusing to those who believe in the American dream. Current federal and state programs are apparently failing, as these people are still grossly underprivileged. So, I restate my question. What are you doing, or do you plan to do, about the legions of homeless and underprivileged Americans all over the nation?

I have also been pondering another question. What are your plans for maintaining homeland security in the unfortunate event that America may be attacked while our troops are spread so thin between the Middle East and New Orleans? Of course these are very important pursuits for the U.S. Army, and I support our troops. I am merely concerned about the safety of our nation. Once again, I will not feign to be better informed on this subject, as you have such great resources at your disposal. Is our nation ready to defend against a foreign attack? I am sure you have a plan or strategy to keep our citizens out of harm’s way, but I am uneasy about the availability of American manpower.
Thank you for your time in reading this. I would greatly appreciate a reply.

(I would like to thank Magnolia for helping me brainstorm this. It was written for 11th Grade AP English.)

JCdecaux

Your Friend in the Fridge
great, i love the way you subtly call him a bit of an idiot without looking underinformed or like a rash ignorant hippy. Well constructed, and above all, of a respectable intellectual level.
A + says i. o

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Icarus, didnt you send a letter to the president... or senator... or some shit... a while ago? Is that just me making stuff up or does my memory still serve a function?

I'm trying to find the words that will describe how I feel about your letter. One on hand, the subject matter it covers is important. At the same time, I really don't like the tone. It is too wishy washy to invoke any emotions, and it's far too over-respectful to garner any sort of useable response.

Poor choise of words i think, but I just woke up after passing out with my contacts in so... damn I"m hungry.

Mini G said:
shhh.....can you hear that.....its the sound of no one caring
Shush, can you hear that.....it's the sound of me clicking the BAN button, then deleting all you spam from this fucking page.

KThxBye

Carry on, Icky.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
Sorry TB. Was just curious.

Icarus, it's a great letter and a great start. We should all write letters to the President, our Congressmen and give them a piece of our mind.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
tbsrk said:
Icarus, didnt you send a letter to the president... or senator... or some shit... a while ago? Is that just me making stuff up or does my memory still serve a function?

I'm trying to find the words that will describe how I feel about your letter. One on hand, the subject matter it covers is important. At the same time, I really don't like the tone. It is too wishy washy to invoke any emotions, and it's far too over-respectful to garner any sort of useable response.

Poor choise of words i think, but I just woke up after passing out with my contacts in so... damn I"m hungry.
Well, the assignment was being read by my teacher, and the goal was to question, not accuse. Of course if I was writing it for my own benefit it'd be strewn with profanity and SPED references.

And no, I don't recall writing a letter to a senator or president recently.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I like it. It's pretty well thought out, and comes from a more questioning angle, than confrontational.

If the president got 300 million of those letters, they would all go to the same place, the landfill. He'd never even see it, they'd just round file them. They don't care about what people think, contrary to public opinion. (I get the joke)

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
JLXC said:
I like it. It's pretty well thought out, and comes from a more questioning angle, than confrontational.

If the president got 300 million of those letters, they would all go to the same place, the landfill. He'd never even see it, they'd just round file them. They don't care about what people think, contrary to public opinion. (I get the joke)
About 30-40 people send letters to the president every year for this assignment, and the teacher says that he gets 2-5 responses from the president yearly.

JLXC

Premium
Icarus said:
About 30-40 people send letters to the president every year for this assignment, and the teacher says that he gets 2-5 responses from the president yearly.

BULLSHIT. They get form letters or some croney types or writes them. The president? Especially Bush? Wow that's fucking dreaming.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
JLXC said:
BULLSHIT. They get form letters or some croney types or writes them. The president? Especially Bush? Wow that's fucking dreaming.
They normally come about March, but yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they were all some secretary.

JLXC

Premium
Icarus said:
They normally come about March, but yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they were all some secretary.
I'm sorry I came off so harsh, but I hate it when teachers try and convince kids of total bullshit. You know how many schools write the President a year? Even if he only answered 2 per school, that would be his whole job.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
Yeah but how great would it be if EVERYBODY wrote. That would be millions of letters. :thumbsup:

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Icarus said:
Well, the assignment was being read by my teacher, and the goal was to question, not accuse. Of course if I was writing it for my own benefit it'd be strewn with profanity and SPED references.

And no, I don't recall writing a letter to a senator or president recently.
Well, then you accomplished your goal. Cheers.:thumbsup: