WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

A Moral Dilemma

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
H'okay. As a few of you know, I write for my school newspaper. Well, yesterday in class, one of our photographers came up to me and said "Want to be a male model?" I said "Hell yes!", half-jokingly. She made me promise I would (I am a bad person and I will promise a girl anything), and then explained what I would be doing...

They want me to basically pose half-naked to give examples of "dresscode violations". In the newspaper that will be circulated among our approximately 5,000-member student body. I will be shown with my pants down past my ass, wearing a skin-tight wifebeater, and with no shirt on (for a "bare or nude look"). I'm not very self-concious, but exposing myself to 5,000-ish kids is not my general style.

So... I made a commitment, it's for the newspaper which I have pledged loyalty to AND I promised the girl, but I don't want to whore myself out to all my classmates.

So... what should I do?

magnolia

Postaholic
dull_bullet said:
ask to have your face blurred out
That's what I was just going to say. Or have them black bar your face like they do in the magazines. That way only people very close to you can maybe pick you out. Depending on the angle.

Roll with it kid. If you're gonna do it, do it and don't give a shit what other people think. If you're gonna give a shit about what other people think, then wear a Ronald Reagan mask... :rolleyes:

magnolia said:
That's what I was just going to say. Or have them black bar your face like they do in the magazines. That way only people very close to you can maybe pick you out. Depending on the angle.
Shit, if your going to do something, do it all the way. If he's scarred, and needs he face blurred, he might as well not do it at all.

I say go for it. Fuck it, you did make a commitment.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
print out on some card stock a picture of the principals face make a mask :D nah dunno its up to you... do or dont do...

gummi_

Tenderony
Just do it for fun. If people care so much that your confident enough to do something like that, and are willing to mock you for it, they arnt worth your time anyways.

If you really dont like the idea, then you can always try the blur idea, or maybe simply ask for a less revealing 'dress code violation' picture.

I still say go for it and dont worry about what people think, though. Sure you might get a few comments from friends for a while, but it will die down eventually. Simply dont listen to all the randoms who feel they have to try and put you down for doing something they probably wouldnt have had the balls to do.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Go for it man. I agree with Taylor Blade... just do it. Sure some dude's will rip on you. But I betcha the chicks'll dig it.

Or if you're still afraid, rather than blur your face (which would look really tacky and only make it a bigger deal when everyone finds out it's you) have them crop the photos so they cut your head off. Lots of magazines do that and it works for them.

But really, like I said, just do it and bask in the glorry it brings you. And when someone gives you shit, remind them that they wouldn't do it which means your balls are bigger than theirs.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
UberSkippy said:
But I betcha the chicks'll dig it.
Well, that's where this becomes a double-edged sword. I am pretty skinny (5'10" and 130 pounds) but I'm wiry. I'm not ashamed of the way I look. The problem is...

Sure, some girls will probably think "ooh lah lah" (maybe not very many, but I've been told I have a nice chest/arms/abs), but I think a lot of girls will be put off by the whole thing. Kind of like... "Who does he think he is, posing in the newspaper with his shirt off? Does he think we all want to look at him without his shirt off?" That kind of thing might backfire on the ladies scale.

necro

Postaholic
Unforgiven said:
Are you getting paid? :happysad:
Unforgiven has the right idea :thumbsup:

But Icarus, my best bet is to say fuck it, if people give you any heap, just whip out your nuts and them to suck it. Or, just do it and punch the people that give you shit in the face. The worst that can possibly happen, is you will get laughed at for a while. Putting up with descent, I think you can handle that much. But on the bright side, you might get laid if the right woman likes it :thumbsup:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Icarus said:
Sure, some girls will probably think "ooh lah lah" (maybe not very many, but I've been told I have a nice chest/arms/abs), but I think a lot of girls will be put off by the whole thing. Kind of like... "Who does he think he is, posing in the newspaper with his shirt off? Does he think we all want to look at him without his shirt off?" That kind of thing might backfire on the ladies scale.
No, that kid of thing might backfire on the vapid bitch scale. The ladies will dig it dude. Ok, so some crusty slut cheer leader might say it sucks. The fuck does she know?

Say 10% of the chicks hate it. Ok, say 50% of the chicks hate it. 50% of the chicks in your school dig it. 5000 students, 2,500 chicks, 1,250 dig the photo spread.

Where else are you gonna get that kinda publicity? 1,250 chicks are suddenly thinking you're the shit? As long as you play it cool and don't get cocky you'll be this guy who's cute, doesn't mind a little attention but isn't some sort of cocky fuck. Yeah, you'll do well.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
UberSkippy said:
No, that kid of thing might backfire on the vapid bitch scale. The ladies will dig it dude. Ok, so some crusty slut cheer leader might say it sucks. The fuck does she know?
Well, some people that I am very close to have that sort of attitude. I mean, I don't want somebody to lower their opinion of me because of it.

UberSkippy said:
Say 10% of the chicks hate it. Ok, say 50% of the chicks hate it. 50% of the chicks in your school dig it. 5000 students, 2,500 chicks, 1,250 dig the photo spread.

Where else are you gonna get that kinda publicity? 1,250 chicks are suddenly thinking you're the shit? As long as you play it cool and don't get cocky you'll be this guy who's cute, doesn't mind a little attention but isn't some sort of cocky fuck. Yeah, you'll do well.
:D Pretty much sold! Not a for-sure kind of thing, but you raise some excellent points... :)

have them take the picyures from your shoulders down, no face blurrings or black bars. but on the other hand if you do show your face, and girls like it, just think of the possabilities.

necro

Postaholic
Icarus said:
Well, some people that I am very close to have that sort of attitude. I mean, I don't want somebody to lower their opinion of me because of it.
Fuck it. If they would alter their perception on you because you did something, er, charitable, then they aren't worth your time anyway. Go for it man.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Nymphchick said:
have them take the picyures from your shoulders down, no face blurrings or black bars. but on the other hand if you do show your face, and girls like it, just think of the possabilities.
If I just do shoulders-down, I get all of the guilt for being a whore, and none of the possible benefits.

Ok, you've heard all the pros and cons...now the only way for us to help you is for you to take promo pics and post them...
We'll be the judges :haha:

I say do it and ham it up. Make a total ass of yourself as a joke. That way you don't have to worry about the ladies thinking you're full of yourself and if someone tries to make fun of you it'll be pretty much a moot point. You should get one of those clown afro wigs and pose in hilarious ways.