WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines A trial that is 2110 American lives in the making

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The chief judge in Saddam Hussein's trial adjourned proceedings Monday until December 5 after defendants complained about their attorneys.

The defendants said they weren't pleased with court-appointed lawyers and they also wanted replacements for two attorneys who were killed recently.

The slayings of defense attorneys Sadoon Janabi and Adil Muhammed al-Zubaidi have made security a key issue in the trial. Former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark who is advising the defense team called security "totally inadequate."

Defendants also raised concerns about court processes, health care and death threats.

The eight defendants are accused in the 1982 slayings of more than 140 civilians in the town of Dujail, north of Baghdad, after an unsuccessful assassination attempt against Hussein.

In Monday's proceedings, Hussein argued with the judge and railed against Iraq's "occupiers."

Read More

Are we justified? By putting away this madman do we prove apoint of mercy to the Iraqi people, or a point of power to the world? Was this really worth 2110 deaths?Statistic taken from here.

Being in this situation was there anything else we could have done?

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I'm playing Devil's Advocate here.

What if they find him innocent, and want him to become ruler again? The USA would mentally implode.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
It is unlikely that the US built, funded and appointed court will see Saddam as not guilty. That trial is such a farce. Reminds me of the show-off trials Stalin used to arrange..
I say take it to international court. Too bad that then it would be a trial about Saddams ALL actions. This would also mean checking into the US sponsored and performed inhumanities during Iran-Iraq- war, and also it would have to put the USA-Iraq- war on trial (which by any international standards is highly illegal).

Also if Saddam is seen quilty and sentenced to death, it would mean another violation of international laws for the USA.

i could tell more, but I have done so in an earlier post, so I´ll leave it for now.

Easty

Click click boom
Fuck politics, I'm gonna go rub one out:D

In a way I agree with Retart. All things aside from the war in Iraq (rather one agrees with the war or not we cannot change the past) we should have Hussien tried before a world court. He is accused of crimes against humanity, and therefore is entitled to justice by humanity..Really it should be a concerted effort to show the world that humanity does not accept or tolerate tyranny. I think it would also help our foreign relations, and make the trial appear less bias.

elvissaves

Fresh Meat
Make Hussien the Defense Lawyer

I agree that the trial is a just for "appearances" and is the "Politically correct" thing to do. In a country, that is Lawless it is an attempt to restore some sort of order. however the problem is deeper. Iraq is like a child that has been repressed and abuse, it tends to grow up the same way because that is all it knows. If feel bad for a society that does not know any different. even worse for a society that knows differently, and doesn't not choose it. therefore in that mentality, anyone who defends Hussien could considered emeny. :rules:

Today in the News, I watch a breif interview with Senator John Kerry he said

"Until the president really acknowledges that that large presence is part of the problem, and begins to set a benchmark process for transferring responsibility to the Iraqis, we're going to continue with more of the same,"

The point is that how can we transfer responisibility to a "counrty" when there is none.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: