WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

a very suspicious flat-panel

Diesel

Clitpickle
I'm voting no. Crappy contrast ratio, slow response time, average brightness.

If you're ever going to use it for gaming, that response rate is going to kill your eyes.

A monitor is your primary physical interface to your computer. Using a sub-par monitor can lead to very real physical symptoms, such as eye strain, headaches, and dizziness. It's the one component you do not want to skimp on.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I know for a fact Envision makes the world's shitties CRT's.

Lemme tell you a story.

My old Acer 15" CRT died two years ago. I then shopped around, and I noticed CompUSA was selling an amazing Compaq Flat-Screen CRT monitor, for about 25% off!

17", 1600x1200, I heard somewhere Samsung made the tube.

I was sold.

But it had to go back. Shaky Image.

Second one was bad too.

I exchanged it for a 19" Envision CRT. What a piece of shit!

The image was warped, fuzzy, and the colors were washed. Returning shit there is a bitch.

I used it for eight months. During that time period, I discovered that roughly 50% of the EU's who bought Envision CRT's had this problem, according to reviews.

Those people included my friend and my Grandma.

At the end of eight months, it died. YAY!

I took it in, full of glee. I shopped online the day before, and found a great LCD.

The Norwood Micro (CompUSA brand), 15" 16ms LCD. I tried it out in store.

Whoa. Amazing monitor. Bought one right then.

They had roughly 80 lining the store shelves in overstock.

It turns out this thing is worth more than I thought.

It has an Acer (AUO) panel, and a NovaTek ADC that is so clear you would swear it was running off DVI.

Best monitor ever. Avoid it at all costs. Uber-Pricey, but I only paid $30 out of my own wallet for it, so that really is a good deal. My parents bought me the first one.

Oh yeah, my friend had an Envision 17" LCD, and it blew donkeys. It has pinstripes running down it and shit. His sister works at Best Buy so he got a $1200 23" LCD for $800 or something.

Rich bastard.

If you want a good LCD, get a Benq. Mine is essentially a pseudo-Benq, and I love it to death.

The box it came in also has a LAN handle. Perfect.

haha ok i guess i'm not getting that POS

so tell me...what's a good response time, cause i plan on some serious gaming.

Descent

Hella Constipated
16ms is good, 12 is great.

I have 16 is it looks about the same as my friend's uncles 12ms.

Benq, baby. The best out there in terms of image quality and panel quality. I've done side by side comparisons at LANs.

You also have to factor in your video card. If it can't handle 1024x768 or above, pitch it and get a real card, like a 9700 Pro All-In-Wonder or a 6600GT.

You'll hate playing a game at your monitor's non-native resolution. It's no fun, trust me. It's blurry as GehtFuct's vision when he's drunk.

Diesel

Clitpickle
Descent> Geez, why the hell are you always recommending the cheapest brands on the market? It's no wonder you're always having computer problems related to your hardware.
LANs are NOT good places to do comparison tests, especially when everyone is buying on the cheap like you do.

dull_bullet> If you're gaming, you want a fast response time. The faster, the better. You'll also want a good contrast ratio, the higher, the better.
As for brightness, the higher the number, the better. It's usually listed as cd/m2, also referred to as "nits".

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
all flat panel monitors are shit.

"If you're looking to make the switch from a CRT to an LCD, the EN5400 is a great entry-level option. With a new bezel and base design, this 15" display provides sophisticated features while maintaining plug & play simplicity. Because of its minimal footprint, the EN5400 opens-up valueable desk space."

yeah, arent all monitors plug and play?

Diesel

Clitpickle
dustinzgirl said:
yeah, arent all monitors plug and play?
The vast majority of current monitors are.
However, there are still a quite a few that still require an INF file in order to tell the OS what specific resolutions and refresh rates it supports.