WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Abercrombie & Fitch to pull tees after "girl-cott"

Status
Not open for further replies.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Retailer Abercrombie & Fitch said on Friday it would stop selling some of its T-shirts after a national boycott by teenage girls, who objected to slogans emblazoned across the shirts such as "Who needs brains when you have these?"

The teen-oriented apparel company, often criticized for its suggestive advertising featuring scantily-clad young models, did not specify which T-shirts it would pull but said in a brief statement that "We recognize that the shirts in question, while meant to be humorous, might be troubling to some."
Earlier this week, the Women & Girls Foundation of Southwest Pennsylvania launched a "girl-cott" of the store in protest over the T-shirts, launching an e-mail campaign and appearing on NBC's "Today" show to air their concerns.
Other T-shirts featured the slogans "Blondes are adored, brunettes are ignored," and "I make you look fat."
The latest controversy is not the first for the New Albany, Ohio-based retailer. Two years ago, Abercrombie & Fitch pulled its glossy catalogs that featured nude men and women after protests, and in 2002 it discontinued a line of T-shirts that Asian-Americans claimed was racially insensitive.
Abercrombie & Fitch on Thursday reported a 31 percent jump in its October same-store sales, a key measure of retail performance.
LINK
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

So, we lost some crass t-shirts
...but this is censorship - of a sort.

A good thing or a bad thing?

damn, i thought that they meant they were going to pull ALL clothing. guess i was wrong :(

i really do hate abercrombie. their shirts...they just annoy me to no end...

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
Whoever pays the amount of $ for those type of clothing is just a dumb fuck who doesn't have a brain!

Apparently they like controversy. I read an article a few months back where abercrombie by a group of individuals because they didn't get hired at their stores. Apparently they only hire good looking non-color, non-hispanic people.

They are usually on the news for no-such a good thing, but young rich kids keep on buying the clothing, so who really cares about the rest.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
fat brunette's with no tits unite...

I Hate The FCC

Homo est Deus
It's retarded that people got offended over that, nobody really gives a shit if your shirt says such things. Christ, talk about taking things too seriously. :rolleyes:

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
I Hate The FCC said:
It's retarded that people got offended over that, nobody really gives a shit if your shirt says such things. Christ, talk about taking things too seriously. :rolleyes:
Is almost as serious as the interwebs!

I Hate The FCC

Homo est Deus
ChilianFuckFace said:
Is almost as serious as the interwebs!
Almost, but nothing is as serious as the interwebs! Not even stupid shirts that nobody cares about!

CVN70

That's CPT. Forge to you!
Good! I'm glad!
Abercrombie is a fad and will probably slow down eventually.

But seriously, I went in there once. For one I can't hear myself think over the techno blasting, my nose is intruded by some cologne that smells like Windex, plus:

Their jeans look like they just pulled them out of a dumpster! They had holes and rips in them, ect.
Is this what you call fashion? Ha! Who would have ever thought that someone would pay upwards of $40 for a shirt? blah

CVN70

I Hate The FCC said:
lol, really. If they're so concerned why don't they go after the people making shirts that say "Well, it's not going to suck itself, is it?"

hahahaha

I live in a town full of those 'rich white kids' who buy those clothes. Went to school with 2500+ high school preps, like lemmings really. All trying to out-do each other with who's daddy bought them the most expensive car/clothes/ect. This article just about brings back those sweet memories of high school. Good thing I was the rebel who corrupted those innocent little wannabe ambercrombie models. ;) Give me a pair of jeans, a wife beater and white tee and call it a day. < 20$ at wallmart thank you very much.:thumbsup:

Oh my God, now we can have to watch out what our stuiped ass tshirts say, cause they might piss off some poor unpopular person!! Not that i would spend that kinda money on a t-shirt, but my point still stands.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
You don't (me) something that you have a choice over. Idiots. You (me) a monopoly.

How easy would it have been to found another shirt? It's their decision to wear the shirts... I don't exactly like them, and actually look down upon people who wear them, but still. It's their decision. If someone (me'd) all of the punk shirts, I'd be pissed off. They're hard enough to get a decent one as it is.

CVN70

fortemptation said:
;) Give me a pair of jeans, a wife beater and white tee and call it a day. < 20$ at wallmart thank you very much.:thumbsup:
Well said.

Jugular

volatile
I don't have any huge problems with Abercrombie, I do have a problem with retarded shirts that have lame slogans over the front such as "Whatever it is... I didn't do it!" or "Blondes tease, Brunettes please". They are so not-funny! Jesus Christ people!

and as a bonus you also get...

Anger's daily attire:

1. Either a- collared shirt with an undershirt or b-just a regular old white t-shirt that might say something like "New York" or "ACE Hardware" or some crappy 10$ shirt. Or band shirts such as Metallica.

2.Blue jeans/ Cargo shorts

3. Basketball shoes.

CVN70

Alright, and SINCE WHEN DO GUYS WEAR PINK SHIRTS?

It's insane, my cousin tells me at his school guys wear nothing but pink and popped collars.

Jugular

volatile
CVN70 said:
Alright, and SINCE WHEN DO GUYS WEAR PINK SHIRTS?

It's insane, my cousin tells me at his school guys wear nothing but pink and popped collars.
This the new style, I'd wear a collared shirt with an underhsirt, but not one with a popped collar, an definitley not a pink one.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
What? You haven't heard? Pink is the new black.
I had my hair dyed pink for a while :p

CVN70

What happened to an Aerosmith shirt?

CVN70

Boycott said:
What? You haven't heard? Pink is the new black.
I had my hair dyed pink for a while :p
I guess it's seen at school and I haven't been at school for awhile, nor have I been on land for awhile.

CVN70 said:
But seriously, I went in there once. For one I can't hear myself think over the techno blasting
If there is one thing I'm very proud of in my life, it's that I've never set foot inside an Abercrombie. Although every time I walk by it, I think I'm walking by a fucking rave.

Good riddance. I hope all these shirts get taken out into the woods and burned in a bonfire because Abercrombie fucking blows and so does everyone who shops there.

Status
Not open for further replies.