WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines abortion

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I'm going to make the random assumption that you're a Pro-Lifer. Which is fine. I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.

What I fail to understand is how most ProLifers are also Abstinance only supporters. Sex Ed in this country is mainly focussed on Absinance only. Hell, they weren't even ALLOWED to use the word Condom in my sex ed classes in school.

So explain to me this: How do you justify refusing to educate people and then refusing to allow them to correct their mistakes?

Abortion should be mandatory. We don't need any more people on this planet.

Bitch

Evil Fluffy says: I PEE IN YOUR SHOES!
Premium
ok #1 abortions don't usually happen when the baby is formed that much. If they do it's most likely because something is truly wrong.

#2 I'll admit these figures I had discovered in school are probably a little old but they mean something... most of those so-called pro-lifers believe in the death penalty and would consider abortion if it was developed from a rape. How hypocritical and judgemental is that?!?! If the baby is born from a violent act it doesn't deserve to live? If when it's an adult does a violent act it too doesn't deserve to live? (***NOTE: I'm not saying all pro-lifers believe this...there are a lot of decent pro-life people out there, but please consider the stereotype of being a pro-lifer). I find in the news lots of times pro lifers will bomb an abortion clinic causing harm to people that are just trying to weigh their options and doctors that have not done anything but their job. Some times those bombs actually kill innocent people that have no intention of getting an abortion. Also showing those pictures of mutilated babies is just offensive and disgusting. That's not how it goes and all it does is upset people.

#3 With past discussions on here and on other boards, people seem to have this fucked up idea that being pro-choice means that person will have an abortion. Funny thing is, most pro-choice people chose not to have an abortion because they don't want to end a life-to-be or a life just started (depends on how that individual sees a fertilized egg). Most believe that it's a life and it deserves to live. Others know it's a choice and whether or not they can afford to carry the life full term. It's a tough and very painful, personal decision. Also funny enough, most pro-choice people do NOT believe in the death penalty. Most believe that people learn from their mistakes and deserve a second chance or at least a chance to live out their lives in one way or another. Pro-choice people do not bomb, hit, throw things, purposely kill, or shove gross pictures in people's faces harassing them and upsetting them for a VERY personal choice they have made for themselves. The thing about being pro-choice is that whatever you decide, it's your decision. Pro-choice means, you understand that it's a personal choice for everyone and they you do not have a right to force someone to believe the same thing. I for one am very pro-choice and would also choose not to have an abortion. There are many people out there that can't have children that would be very good parents to a child that I carried but do not want. I am seriously disgusted by those that chose abortion as a form of birth control. Most everyone is including doctors, and any other decent human out there. That is the wrong decision. Abortion should only be used to correct a mistake, a possible defeat that may harm the mother or baby, or maybe outstanding circumstances cause the mother to make the decision to end the forming life (such as rape, etc...). Key word in pro-choice is CHOICE. Choose life! Pro-choice is more pro-life than pro-life in my book!

disclaimer: I respect anyone's opinion and those that claim to be either pro-life, or pro-choice. it's not up to me to make anyone believe the same thing as I do and nor would I ask it of anyone else.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
I am with UberSkippy, except with the sex ed part, my school's never had any sex ed classes. Sex wasn't realy discused in the school's I went to. I gess there reasoning was "if they don't know about it they won't do it." It didn't work though. When I was a senour, 3 of the 6 girls in my first class were pregant. And even though those pic's are sick, I don't want to imagin what those girls would have done if they had those babies.

I feel that this is a grey area. If a 13 year old girl get's raped by some 35 year old basturd, would you say she can't have an abortion? Yet I don't agree with a 25 year old woman getting an abortion cause she doesn't think her boyfriend will marry her.

Avoid the abortion, use a condom.

Jung

???
Premium
I'm pro-choice. I don't think the government should have enough influence on our personal lives to decide what women do with unwanted pregnancies, no matter what some people think will make them sleep better at night.

Smoltz4CyYoung

Banned - What an Asshat!
My opinion about this whole thread is as follows:

-I don't believe abortions are a good idea, unless (as stated many times), the child is a product of rape, has a disease, the mother AND father have no way of providing basic needs for the child or something of that nature.
-I agree, abortions shouldn't be a form of birth control
-I believe that sex is something that is special, and should be shared with a special person. If that person really is special, then you would want to have the baby.

In addition, I don't like the fact that some girls think "well, if something happens...there's always an abortion..." If you want my opinion, I do not like that girls are able to think that way.

MY STANCE: I agree that abortions are needed for the reasons I stated above, however I strongly disagree with girls having an abortion just because they do not want a baby. Don't go and get fucked then or use better prevention methods if you are so desperate for sex. I am FOR the death penalty, however I think that the government better be damn well sure that who they are about to kill is the right person and death is the right punishment. I don't want to hear any "Well at the time, he seemed to be the right choice..." bullshit.

Jung

???
Premium
Smoltz4CyYoung said:
-I believe that sex is something that is special, and should be shared with a special person. If that person really is special, then you would want to have the baby.
Too bad that doesn't always happen in the real world.

Regardless of your personal stance on abortion, personal feelings or religious motives aren't enough for you to meddle in other people's lives. I know it probably makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, and possibly righteous, to tell people what's best for them, but it's something you don't have the right to do.

P.S. You're banned, again.

I will not take a side one way or the other. I think that the goverment should not be able to regulate our freedoms. I would love to think that people would not use abortion as a source of birth control, but there are idiots everywhere though. I think that people should have the dose of reality I just gave them. Like war, abortion is a choice, but a choice with cause and effect. I think that if you are for war that you should see the effects of eight pounds of c4 and ball bearings can do to a human. or 25 rounds from a m16 on three round burst. Also remember that in pictures it is alot less grewsome than in real life, Trust me i know.

Jung

???
Premium
I think that people should have the dose of reality I just gave them.
As previously stated, you're only showing them a small part of the "reality of abortion." Most abortions take place in the early stages of pregnancy, and don't look anything like that. What you're doing is spreading propaganda, although it is somewhat realistic. That site, and your post, conveniently leaves out any description or explanation of the methods or trimester in which those abortions took place; the site claims to proclaim the "truth" about abortion, but skews it to fit their agenda. I'd hardly call that truth.

The site seems to be focusing on partial birth abortions, although they seem to want to portray all abortions that way. Although I am pro-choice, I'm against partial birth abortions - I think it's the first time in a fetus's life that it becomes close enough to being a living human being.

Like war, abortion is a choice, but a choice with cause and effect.
I'm sorry, but I really don't see the analogy here. War takes cognitive lives - people old enough to feel pain, fear dying and make a conscious choice to risk those things for a greater cause. Abortion eliminates life before it happens - there is a huge difference there.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Another issue to consider with the Pro-Life movement:

Forcing women to carry unwanted children to term creates a whole slew of other social problems. A woman carrying an unwanted pregnancy is less likely to receive proper prenatal care, is more likely to drink and smoke and generally not take care of the baby. She's going to give it up for adoption.

So by taking the choice away, there is a strong chance that the number of children born with mental, emotional and physical defects will increase. The cost of this falls back on society.

Allowing a woman to have an abortion for whatever reason she wants is far more palatable to me than forcing he unwanted fhild to grow up with that stigma and perhaps some serious health issues.

Jung

???
Premium
UberSkippy said:
Allowing a woman to have an abortion for whatever reason she wants is far more palatable to me than forcing he unwanted fhild to grow up with that stigma and perhaps some serious health issues.
That's part of my reasoning as well. Abortion should be safe, legal and unneeded. Obviously this isn't a perfect world though, and you're not going to magically stop people from having unwanted or unplanned pregnancies. But it's better to take care of those cases medically, with trained professionals in a proper facility, than it is to leave it up to a choiceless mother to result to drugs, abuse or some form of self-inflicted abortion.

Instead of offering these mothers a regulated and medical solution to their problem, we chastise them for their mistakes, which can open the door to all sorts of other problem. That's just a bad social policy no matter how you look at it. Unfortunately some people are more worried about their morals, and how they feel about someone else's abortion than they are the mother.

OmegaZeto

Eyeless Pilot
I believe abortion is wrong. I believe so because I believe that the moment an egg is fertilized by a sperm, that is a human being. Along those lines, abortion would be murder. I have no religious reason for this. It's just not right to kill what I see as a human being.
The circumstances leading to one human being having to care for another (in this case pregnancy, the mother caring for the unborn child) are NO excuse for killing them. That's like killing all the victims of Hurricane Katrina simply because you don't want to feed or house them.
Of course, none of this means anything if you have a distorted, ignorant view lconcerning unborn children. If you do not believe that a fetus is a human being, then where do you draw the line of when it DOES become one? When it's born? When it has so many cells in it? Because it is slightly more functional at some stage of development?
A sperm cell is only half of what is needed to make a human being. An egg cell is also only half. When those two come together, they immediately gain the power to become a full-grown human being. I believe that is the moment at which a Human is born.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
armyboy6310 said:
I will not take a side one way or the other. I think that the goverment should not be able to regulate our freedoms.
I think you just did take a side there. And the fact that you're willing to give up freedoms is frightening. Or are you just willing to give up freedoms you don't agree with?

armyboy6310 said:
Like war, abortion is a choice, but a choice with cause and effect.
All choices have cause and effects. But I guess you don't think there is an effect to war?

armyboy6310 said:
I think that if you are for war that you should see the effects of eight pounds of c4 and ball bearings can do to a human. or 25 rounds from a m16 on three round burst.
What, did your gun jam?

armyboy6310 said:
Also remember that in pictures it is alot less grewsome than in real life, Trust me i know.
Trust you? You know? Care to explain or is this just a random statement made on the internet to make people think you know what you're talking about?

Abortion is grewsome yes. Then again so is birth when you get right down to it. Are you against abortion just because it's gross?

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
armyboy6310 said:
Here is something all people should have to witness before they could get an abortion. http://www.precious-life.com/Abortion_Photos.htm Beware for the weak stomach people. This is some fucked up stuff. :mad:
Something all people should have to witness, before they make their own choice about what they want to do?
I personally believe, for my own, I don't believe in abortion, I think what happens there's a reason behind it, but that's my own view on it.
That doesn't mean that I go around telling others they can't do it, If they have good cause for what they think is best than, well I can't stop them.
It's better than making the child and the mother suffer from what could be if the mother were to keep the child, or even give it up for adoption.

Jung

???
Premium
OmegaZeto said:
I believe abortion is wrong. I believe so because I believe that the moment an egg is fertilized by a sperm, that is a human being. Along those lines, abortion would be murder.
Biologically speaking you're incorrect. As a result, your notion that abortion is murder is illogical.
Of course, none of this means anything if you have a distorted, ignorant view lconcerning unborn children.
Just because YOU think an egg becomes a human upon fertilization doesn't mean it's correct. So I'd study some biology before you start rationalizing those who would disagree as ignorant. You might be surprised who the ignorant one is.
If you do not believe that a fetus is a human being, then where do you draw the line of when it DOES become one? When it's born?
Fetuses become human beings in the last trimester of pregnancy when they're fully developed. This is why we differentiate between the words egg, fetus and baby. Up until the point the fetus is fully developed it lacks the two main qualities by which we quantify life, those being cognition and the ability to survive on its own. At the point most abortions take place the fetus is not at a stage of development to posses either quality; in fact, biologically, it's nothing more than a parasitical ball of nerves and tissue. Whether or not you consider that "life" is strictly a matter of opinion.

OmegaZeto

Eyeless Pilot
junglizm said:
Biologically speaking you're incorrect. As a result, your notion that abortion is murder is illogical.
Just because YOU think an egg becomes a human upon fertilization doesn't mean it's correct. So I'd study some biology before you start rationalizing those who would disagree as ignorant. You might be surprised who the ignorant one is.
Fetuses become human beings in the last trimester or pregnancy when they're fully developed. This is why we differentiate between the words egg, fetus and baby. Up until the point the fetus is fully developed it lacks the two main qualities by which we quantify life, those being cognition and the ability to survive on its own. At the point most abortions take place the fetus is not at a stage of development to posses either quality, in fact, biologically, it's nothing more than a parasitical ball of nerves and tissue. Wether or not you consider that "life" is strictly a matter of opinion.
Bullshit. You just basically said "you're wrong, I'm right", and gave not one good reason. Good job.
Your bullshit about "cognition and the ability to survive" is so ignorant it made my head spin. So the old folks who lost their minds to alzheimer's and can't feed themselves any longer should be killed?

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
You know, I once had an argument with some jarhead about condoms. He said that if you use a condome your just as guilty as someone who has an abortion. And he also said that if your girlfriend uses birthcontrol, that is just as bad. I think this opnion is closed minded, as he wouldn't see anything other than what he thought.

I think what somepeople are trying to say is, a fetus turns into a baby at the point where if it is born premature, it can still live. Two weeks after an egg is fertalized, you can see the heart. That does not mean that it is a child.

OmegaZeto, I think you started with the I'm right you're wrong thing. The only thing I got out of your post's is YOUR opnion, nothing else. How is that a good point. I'm not saying that your opnion doesn't matter, just don't attack someone elses just cause you don't agree with them.

I have a feeling that this thread is going to get realy interesting.

Jung

???
Premium
OmegaZeto said:
Bullshit. You just basically said "you're wrong, I'm right", and gave not one good reason. Good job.
Did I miss YOUR proof or "good" reasons? :rolleyes:

At "the moment an egg is fertilized by a sperm" the egg becomes a zygote, at this point in it's evolution it's nothing more than a mass of cells - a stage prior to the formation of any cognitive abilities, much less reactionary reflexes or the ability to sustain its own existence. So biologically you're incorrect. Now, your opinion may be that this is a human life, but factually speaking that's neither here nor there.
Your bullshit about "cognition and the ability to survive" is so ignorant it made my head spin.
That comment is horrible ignorant for a number of reasons: 1) You dismiss anything not in agreement with your opinions as ignorant, 2) you offer no proof of my ignorance other than your opinion, 3) you seem to seriously lack a grasp of biology, and subsequent factual proof concerning your claims.
So the old folks who lost their minds to Alzheimer’s and can't feed themselves any longer should be killed?
Did I say that? Is your argument really so weak that you need to put words in my mouth to attempt making a point?

At the point someone would fall victim to Alzheimer’s they were already humans beings, capable of cognition and surviving on their own. You can't seriously try to compare tissue, prior to becoming life, to life that's deteriorating. Can you? If so, wow.

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
those pictures are of babies that are over 3months old (alot)
and you aren't allowed to have an abortion after 3months of pregnancy..
You can see how developed those babies are, they are about 24 to 30week old babies, so those abortions are made illegally..

http://www.wprc.org/trimester2.phtml
these are pictures of babies that are about 14-18weeks...

EDIT: that is all I have to say.. :happysad: