WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

About Me...

Descent

Hella Constipated
I would have to say that I, James Stager, am a dreamer of epic proportions. I like everything to be the best, I try my hardest to achieve what I want to, and I have plans that are so huge most people would abandon all hope of ever reaching any of them.

My ultimate goal is to be one of the most renowned video game designers in the industry. I have always loved video games, and my obsessive love for them has caused me to want to create my own. I have been designing video games for years, yet never actually producing them. Ever since I was in fourth grade, I have been drawing out ideas for video games at an alarming rate. However, very few actually make it past the cutting board, and into what will eventually become a game. I want to wait until the time is right to begin the final stages of design and function. Once an idea has matured to it's final stages, and if the design has gone without a hitch, only then will I select it to be the elite of my designs.

When I get out of high school, I plan to start up a game company with my online friend (whom I know very well) Scott Sherry, my real life friend Justin D'Agostino, and Robert Lee (I have not asked him yet, however). Since we will be small, poor, and we won't have the best programmers, we will be stuck using old technology. However, while technology can make a game stand out, gameplay is what is really the most compelling. Pong is just as fun to play now as it was in 1975, and all it has is three lines, four numbers, and a dot on the screen.
The game we would most likely do first would be R&D (Research and Development), a game about aliens invading Earth with the intent to kill (It later turns out the whole alien project was created by the government, and you have to assassinate the key leaders). The game starts out fairly simple, by attempting to rid the base of all alien invaders. During the game huge twists in the plot would force Jason Creach, the main character in the game, to destroy the one thing holding the people of Earth together, the Terran World Government (TWG). The plot is still in the works, and I plan to distribute copies of the plot to my friends just to see if they can improve it. This game would be a first-person shooter, but it would be unlike most. It would be truly unique, both in terms of gameplay and story.

There would be many obstacles to overcome, though. We would have to get the correct software to make the game, which could take a while. We then have to work on designing the levels, characters, weapons, et cetera, until we have enough data to create them on the computer. Then we have to find a way to distribute it cheaply. After that, we just sit back, relax, and let the money roll in.

I can't wait until I start my multi-million dollar gaming empire. It will be the greatest game company the world has ever known!

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
Friend, if you want to start a game company and have any thoughts of nationwide distribution, you need a truckload of money or be in cahoots with a software company. Creating a game takes designers (you), script writers, graphic designers, computer programmers, game musicians, voice actors, software producers, and this is just what I know of. Talk to someone who works in game manufacturing if you are serious about this. I don't want to rain on your parade, I just want to make sure you can see all that you need.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Yeah, I know about all that...We would have to use open source audio files, I think...

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
if ya wanna do it right do like im gonna do...go here http://www.digipen.edu/ its a lil exspensive but you get the education that you need to be a game designer. Your also pretty much garenteed a job from any major game design company after you graduate considering that it is the only game design school in america.

Jung

???
Premium
Hypertron said:
considering that it is the only game design school in america.
not by far.

imo you'd do better getting a full CS degree, from a respectable university. CS will encompass programming and you can take 3d design courses as well. at any rate, good luck man, starting your own company isn't the easiest thing to do. i have a lot of respect for those willing to risk everything for their dreams. as much as i'd like to start my own busisness, family life won't allow it right now. maybe in the future, though.

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
junglizm said:
not by far.

imo you'd do better getting a full CS degree, from a respectable university. CS will encompass programming and you can take 3d design courses as well.
i mean its the only school specificly for that it only does game design and nothing else.

Jung

???
Premium
not trying to nit pick, but i would have to disagree. i could be wrong though, i never really looked into trade schools.

edit: collins college comes to mind though.(from commercials)

Descent

Hella Constipated
I'm going to be the next fucking John Romero. Go fuck a monkey skull, and suck it down!

In case you haven't noticed, John is my idol.

*Rep point for Masters of Doom reference*