WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Discuss Abstinence or Moderation??

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
This in reference to weed but you could really substitute anything here, i'm of the opinion that it takes a stronger person to smoke in moderation than to simply abstain from smoking at all. i thiink i read it in a dr seuss book once, but if you can prove otherwise, please dont hold back.

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
bigck3000 said:
This in reference to weed but you could really substitute anything here, i'm of the opinion that it takes a stronger person to smoke in moderation than to simply abstain from smoking at all. i thiink i read it in a dr seuss book once, but if you can prove otherwise, please dont hold back.
I think your wrong, it takes a stronger person to refuse weed who was once a pothead, but in some cases, It takes a stronger person to refuse weed. Not everyone is a pothead, and most people don't want to touch it even if they are around it, even if you consider them weak. If you do want to smoke, that doesn't really make you stronger, I think it makes you weaker, because your giving in to peer pressure,stress, school, and whatever.

magnolia

Postaholic
I personally feel that abstinance is better than moderation in any case. That way u can't get hooked or into too much trouble.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
no no no...i mean it takes a stronger will not a stronger person

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
eh, you know what i mean.

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
bigck3000 said:

Nop wrong! When you want to Hit the weed, reach for an apple instead! And your friends will never say "dude quit bogart'n the Granny Smith's"! ;)

moe

Clitpickle
bigck3000 said:
no no no...i mean it takes a stronger will not a stronger person
stronger person, stronger will power are the same thing. it actually takes a person with strong will power to stop smoking, or to stop anything for that matter, all together than to do it in moderation. mainly because while smoking, even in mod., you still have a cruch, you dont fend as much and crave for it(cravings are the same as wanting), so its easier on the body and mind.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
yea but to expose your self to it, and then pull back for a couple weeks and then do it again, shows that you have control over it where as, if you completly abstain, its like, if you were to smoke, it would take over you so you just cover your eyes and pretend that its not around. this isnt for the people who have quit, this is for the people who are on the fence about quitting, i'm offering an alternative.

PS. i'm not putting down anyone here who has quit, you all have that support group tone about you, if you quit for personal reasons, thats cool, if your one of those preachy smokers who sits there and complains about what weed does to you as they smoke, then this one is for you

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
Refusing to smoke is the same as pretending that something doesn't exist? Wow, that's news to me. I guess I'm pretending that alcohol, cigaretes, cocain, heroin, and a slew of other things don't exist either. Look, just because someone doesn't want to get involved in someting doesn't mean they have less will. It means they know that if they start, it's going to be a strain for them to stop.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
bigck3000 said:
Absintence is easier than moderation for me. Everyone in my family smokes, I do but only on occasion (like, once a year on holidays). It is harder, because it is so readily available if I chose to do it all the time. I used to smoke and do alot of other drugs every day for several years. It is easier for me to say no 99% of the time than to say yes 20% of the time, because once you say yes, if you have an addictive personality like me, then you get caught up in the cycle. I dont think there is anything wrong with marijuanna use, i just dont want to lose what I have because the government has taken it upon themselves to say that I am not aloud to partake in this.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Being that it's your opinion, and every person's different in relation to how herb effects them; I don't believe it's possible to prove the contrary or the parallel.
You'll have some people that can quit cold turkey without a thought. Some will have problems. Being that there's no chemical addiction involved, the results fluctuate.
Psychological addiction would be a whole other ball game, and that would have to be evaluated on a case by case, basis.

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
That's like saying it takes more skill to play in the street and not get hit by a bus, then the skill it takes to not get hit by that same bus while playing on the playground.

I know lets talk about how to run with scissors, with non-slip shoes, or in socks on a hard wood floor..

Whee..

MsPunK

Tenderony
i started going out with my boyfriend two years go nearly exactly. he smoked ALOT. im not with im now btw. anyway so he got me into smoking, and i MEAN SMOKING. we smoke like, a quarter a day sometimes and got soo fucked and totaly mashed our brains. ive never been able to quit cold turkey. im gettin better tho. pot is bad. its evil. i cant believe people want to legalize it, make it public for kids to go oooh lemme have some!!it caused me to quit college, twice, and i know some ppl will say it wasnt the weed, but it was, in my case. people tht want it can have it. i went throught all sorts of differents stages, first, withdrawal when itried to stop, so i decided to somoke sometimes. but that didnt work. now, i have no money , and i smoke hardly anything, but i still smoke. i think enless you quit totally it will go on forever. i smoke alot more cigs now because im not stonin all the time. also, my bong got stolen at a party so i cant really smoke grrr, but i must say it is soo good to be able to say "im not a full on waster anymore" . i realised ppl knew me as the girl who smoked shit loads. but not any more. STAY AWAY FROM THE EVIL WEED!!! also if anyone has any tips on how to quit smokin please tell me.
~~~~~~K

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
A couple tips that stopped me from smoking bud:

1.) Sell all your bud smoking utinsels or give them to a friend.
2.) Don't hang out with friends that smoke.
3.) Instead of using money for bud, use it on something more productive. (Such as movies, skydiving, parts for your car, whatever you want.)
4.) It effects your family, friends, and of most importance, yourself.
It also lacks the ability to do certian things, such as drive, pay attention, and whatever you need to go through the day.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
lilstonerkat said:
i started going out with my boyfriend two years go nearly exactly. he smoked ALOT. im not with im now btw. anyway so he got me into smoking, and i MEAN SMOKING. we smoke like, a quarter a day sometimes and got soo fucked and totaly mashed our brains. ive never been able to quit cold turkey. im gettin better tho. pot is bad. its evil. i cant believe people want to legalize it, make it public for kids to go oooh lemme have some!!it caused me to quit college, twice, and i know some ppl will say it wasnt the weed, but it was, in my case. people tht want it can have it. i went throught all sorts of differents stages, first, withdrawal when itried to stop, so i decided to somoke sometimes. but that didnt work. now, i have no money , and i smoke hardly anything, but i still smoke. i think enless you quit totally it will go on forever. i smoke alot more cigs now because im not stonin all the time. also, my bong got stolen at a party so i cant really smoke grrr, but i must say it is soo good to be able to say "im not a full on waster anymore" . i realised ppl knew me as the girl who smoked shit loads. but not any more. STAY AWAY FROM THE EVIL WEED!!! also if anyone has any tips on how to quit smokin please tell me.
~~~~~~K
put the bong down. tell your friends you dont smoke. get rid of your parephenelia. stop buying weed.

Lexx_D

Who gives a Fuck?!?!
I started smoking about 12, smoked and did everything else under the sun till I was 18. Quit cold turkey everything when I joined the Army. Now that im out I smoke, but I know I can quit cold turkey whenever I want (ive done it like 6 times w/ np).

The best thing would be just not to smoke. Ive really never (me personally) seen any affect on me when I quit.

Now if you want to talk addiction lets talk about the goverments new prescription herion......

Oxycontin......have alot of friends that had to beat this habit. Withdraw is EXACTLY like herion very very nasty. Ive seen people spend a week in bed trying to kick it, throwing up every 15min with horrible, I mean horrible stomache pain. BE AFFRAID, BE VERY AFFRAID.....

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
with the exception of max and a few others, most kids sound like they just got in trouble with their mommies. i'm not saying its bad if you dont smoke, i'm saying that for people who smoke, in my eyes, its harder to do it in moderation than to simply quit. but max, i didnt think about it being relative, i've always thought that weed has pretty much the same effect on people as far as their "addictions". thanks for the insight though kids and take it easy, i'm not trying to drag you back into the hells of a weed addiction, i know they're hell, god knows i feel your pain. *sniffles*

breakology

Kiss my Converse
Lexx_D said:
Oxycontin......have alot of friends that had to beat this habit. Withdraw is EXACTLY like herion very very nasty. Ive seen people spend a week in bed trying to kick it, throwing up every 15min with horrible, I mean horrible stomache pain. BE AFFRAID, BE VERY AFFRAID.....
I thought Oxycontin was only prescribed for serve and constant pain. Do a lot of your friends suffer from severe and constant pain? Or are they abusing pharmacuetical drugs. Just curious ....