Accidental Mustard Gas

The Enlightener

Hoodrat
This summer I worked on a farm and there was a milker washing machine that you had to put the soap in to clean the milkes and acid to sanatize them. Well I had just started working there and I didn't know that you had to wait a certain time period between useing the soap and acid. This is because it makes a weak compound of mustard gas because most of the energy in the reaction is released in the form of heat. The soap was dichlorodiethyl sulfide or ClCH 2 CH 2 which is an industrial soap.The sanatizing acid was sulfur monochloride or S 2 Cl 2 which when mixed together make mustard gas or (ClCH 2 CH 2 ) 2 S which is a weak form of mustard gas. :bomb:
Wholly shit did it smell to thats how i recognized it and the i looked at the labels and found that when the chemicals mix make mustard gas. Nobody or anything was hurt by it but it could have been very bad.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
The Enlightener: I guess you learned your lesson. Read the instructions before mixing any chemicals.

tbsrk said:
TERRORIST!! Where's Homeland Security?
Don't worry, they are probably out eating donuts... or those are different guys? :confused:

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
The Enlightener said:
dichlorodiethyl sulfide or ClCH 2 CH 2

You definitly did not pass Chemistry buddy.

2,2'dichlorodiethyl sulfide's correct chemical formula, and correct name, is:

bis-(2-chloroethyl)sulfide
C(4)H(8)CL(2)S

Interesting to note: The above chemical is mustard gas. :thumbsup:
Clicky for the chemical information

I am picky about this because I am a chemistry major. :D :thumbsup:

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
tbsrk said:
For (sulfide) to exist, doesn't oxygen have to be present? SO3?

But a sulfide is One Sulfur, that has an oxidation number of -2, and contains another element such as 2 Hydrogens. Combined they create H(2)S, or Hydrogen Sulfide. SO(3) is known as Sulfite Ion.