WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Accidentally fucked up at the ATM.

ThisIsBananas

Silly Face!
I had a check for $55 and put it in the ATM. The ATM misread the check and asked to confirm if it was really $5. I accidentally hit the yes button, and the ATM took the fucking check. Now I'm potentially out $50. I will go to the bank tomorrow and see if they can get this fixed. I have the proof of payment that it was really supposed to be $55, and I can print out the receipt that shows my fake deposit of $5.

Has anybody ever done this and got it fixed? I'm stupid and probably fucked. Always pay attention at the ATM.

• Face Palm
Reactions: BRiT

ThisIsBananas

Silly Face!
Shouldn't matter what you tell it. Checks are checks for a reason. If the ATM received the check, it's likely been scanned. Should be relatively easy to fix.
My account says it's not there. It's OK though, like Jane said, I have the proper documents and will get this fixed tomorrow.

• Agree
Reactions: Crazizniac

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
My account says it's not there. It's OK though, like Jane said, I have the proper documents and will get this fixed tomorrow.
Checks aren't 'really' there for about 3 business days. Essentially, you asked the bank for a loan while the check clears. Your account would have shown a $550 deposit if you filled it out incorrectly that direction as well. The bank processes the check, not the amount you tell it. https://www.thebalance.com/basics-of-how-checks-clear-315291

If the check was written out of your same bank, it's quicker, because the Federal Reserve isn't involved and the bank can verify funds internally. Otherwise, your bank requests the funds through the fed, the fed asks the other bank, and then completes the transaction.

This is important if you overdraft your account. If you deposit a check, your funds aren't real until the check clears which can mean extra fees. If you cash that same check, and then deposit the money, it will be immediately available.

It's the whole account balance v. Available funds stuff.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: ThisIsBananas