WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

ACPI Help

Descent

Hella Constipated
I have no clue why, but lately my old ASRock K7S8XE+ motherboard has been getting pissy with ACPI.

I'm running the latest BIOS (The HoneyX and Guni hacked one that has more stability and features than the official one), and I have tried messing around in the BIOS.

The problem is that the board will no longer power off on it's own...I have to manually unplug the cable. The same goes for powering it on...

This is driving me nuts! I need help quick...I don't want to buy a new board just because my current one decided to wank on me...

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
have you done the stupid shit first like pulling the cmos bat or clearing the cmos with a jumper if provided?

Descent

Hella Constipated
I loaded BIOS defaults, but I'll try clearing the CMOS jumper next. I think I already did that though...

Broken

The power button? Can you see it? Can you short it to make sure it's just not defective?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Even with the power button not plugged in, the little bastard turns on on it's own.

I also tried clearing the CMOS. No luck.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Is there a setting in the bios or cmos or whatever that allows you to answer the "Power on after power fail?" question?

Broken

Pull the power supply connection to the system board. Remove all the expansion cards and disconnect all power to everything. Pull the cmos battery, press the power button and hold it for like ten seconds. Then replace the cmos batt and plug the PS to the system board and see if it still self powers.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Or to simplifiy things, just plug the PC into a socket that is switched. Light switch on, PC on... Light switch off, PC off... Just make sure the switch goes off/on not on/off.

Broken

No... LoL make sure it's not the Network card trying to WOL or PXE if not intergrated. Plus the power supply drains to the systemboard (Flea power) so if it's an expansion card waking on Flea; removing the connection to the Sysbrd, drains the flea power. Also you are sure that you lose CMOS settings.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
No, no, no.

Forget the CMOS....heres what you do....look down into the case, get a feel for it, then turn around and find the phone book, open it up to "Computer Repairs" and call the first one you see....or the one who has the spiffiest ad on the page.

OH SHIT....I almost forgot....If you dont have your phone fully charged or a cold beverage ready...your almost fucked.

Hope I helped.....ttyl, LOL, JK, ROFL, LMFAO, OMG. :)

Descent

Hella Constipated
Yeah...I'm tired as fuck now, I'll try this tomorrow.

Thanks, everyone.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Just tried what Broken said...STILL a no go.

Is there anything else I could try?

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
Heres what you do.
Hit the 'reset' button and start in M-dos mode. :thumbsup:
lol, I don't know.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Okay...can somebody with some REAL solutions post please?

Fugly

Tenderony
Go to a computer help forum not a place full of turd monkeys?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Fugly said:
Go to a computer help forum not a place full of turd monkeys?
Jesus fucking Christ...stop being an insecure pussy, or I can assure you, you WILL be banned.

You should try picking on people your own size, because people like me and Broken will rip you apart. You don't contribute jack SHIT to this forum but flames against superior members who can fucking own your little ass anyday.

Please, just get a fucking life.

Anyway, I'm gonna get a Chaintech motherboard to replace this thing (It has an NForce 2 Chipset and SATA, w00t!), because this motherboard is a pain in the ass, and I have been trying to ditch it for a while.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-045&depa=1

Fugly

Tenderony
SHouldn't flame outside bait and tackle son its against the rules. But dont worry I moved your quote to somplace better.