WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Adobe to buy Macromedia

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Adobe, maker of Photoshope, Illustrator, and the annoying as all hell PDF format is poised to gobble up MacroMedia. MacroMedia (publisher of Dreamweaver, Fireworks) is a big web/graphics company...

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Computer document company Adobe Systems Inc. said Monday it agreed to buy multimedia software firm Macromedia Inc. for about $3.4 billion in stock, in a move designed to extend its lead in the market for creating and distributing digital documents.

Adobe (Research), best known for its Acrobat Web document-sharing software, said the deal would help it meet rising customer demand for wider-ranging applications with audio and video options, which are compatible with hand-held devices.

Macromedia (Research) gives Adobe access to the dominant animated graphics software on the Internet, which is also aggressively expanding into mobile phones.

The deal, set to close in the autumn, would likely yield cost savings, said Adobe's Chief Executive Bruce Chizen, without giving further details.

Adobe said it was unable to provide any estimates on future earnings under generally accepted accounting principles due to uncertainty over restructuring costs related to the deal, but said it would be break-even to slightly accretive to earnings in the first 12 months on a non-GAAP basis.

Under the terms of the deal, Macromedia shareholders will get 0.69 shares of Adobe, worth $41.86 at Adobe's closing price of $60.66 on Friday on Nasdaq, for each Macromedia share. That is a 25 percent premium to Macromedia's closing price of $33.45 on Friday, also on Nasdaq.

Chizen will stay in his position as CEO, Adobe said, while Macromedia President and Chief Executive Stephen Elop will become president of worldwide field operations at the combined company.
Full Article Text

Previously, Adobe absorbed Aldus creator of the PageMaker desktop publishing title. Who's next?

OH EMM EFF GEE!!!@!@ That sucks. although, i wonder if adobe is gonna make flash more complicated, that's what the seem to specialize in doing. Oh well, time for the animators to hop to and update their software.

Jung

???
Premium
I think this is horrible for both companies, and for consumers. I see Adobe as being good at what they've always done, but they fail to innovate. Meanwhile Macromedia has been innovating so fast it's hard to keep up. I just think there are way too many product lines for a single company with Adobe's traditionally stingy management to effectively keep fresh. It'll take some wise organizational maneuvers to make this work.
dull_bullet said:
although, i wonder if adobe is gonna make flash more complicated, that's what the seem to specialize in doing.
I don't really see where you're coming form with that. Sure, Adobe products have lots of features, but that's a good thing. If designers don't bother to actually learn the software, well, it's their own damn fault. Adobe products are pretty streamlined and easy to learn.
Oh well, time for the animators to hop to and update their software.
If anything, I think Actionscript could be updated to be full OO, have more standard libraries and just become an overall better language. Flash itself is NOT hard at all, nor is Actionscript. I just think too may people think they're going to get by with making little pictures and dragging them around like gif animation. That might be fine if you limit yourself to motion tweens and small projects, but it's useless in creating any real world web app.

I hate flash though, it's the downfall of the web. :thumbsdn:

I think people underestimate how long it will take to learn flash, like people i know act like they know everything about flash even though they don't know really anything about it. BUt then again, I don't know how to use flash either....

god damn...just when i was starting to actually get the damn flash
then they will make photoshop twice as expensive now...
great....

Descent

Hella Constipated
Internetz Time Machine said:
Today, Adobe announced that it will be buying many new software companies. id Software, Volition Inc., Microsoft, Apple, Symantec, Midway Games, Activision, AOL, Time Warner, and RadioShack will now all be under Adobe's wing.

The following comes after Adobe CEO Gread E. Bastage won 3.4 TRILLION dollars in the International Mega Wins BIG JACKPOT LOTTERY.

This is expected to better the computing industry for years to come...

*GUNSHOT*
Now THAT would suck. Adobe seems to buy everyone these days...

Boycott

Soul Doubt
OMG thats great news... The only thing I didn't like about Flash was the way the drawing tools sucked... With Adobe features in a flash creating program, I can see a lot of awesome flash movies on their way ;) Stick Figures No More!

Jung

???
Premium
Boycott said:
The only thing I didn't like about Flash was the way the drawing tools sucked.
Explain. Although I hate Flash, it's drawing tools aren't that bad, I actually like them. You can already import raster images from Fireworks and Photoshop too.
With Adobe features in a flash creating program, I can see a lot of awesome flash movies on their way ;) Stick Figures No More!
I don't really understand this either; you can do anything in Flash/Fireworks that you can in Illustrator.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Adobe loves product overlap. Whenever they come up with an innovation intended for one of their titles, it always seems to end up in some form in their other applications. That way they have more of a pretext to publish new versions of their titles more frequently. You can be sure that the next releases of After-Effects and Flash will have several features incommon.

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
Adobe already bought Macromedia...for 3.8 billion or something like that don't remember the exact amount.