WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines After Katrina, Ophelia?

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
7,540
685
257
#1
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Holy crap.. Ophelia might hit the american coast.

Icecaps melting into the ocean disrupt the salt-water currents wich can cause hurricanes. An increase in ocean temperature is linked to an increase in Hurricanes and their intensity.


Global warming is a direct cause of Icecaps melting, and there's no denying it's happening.

Stop burning coal and emitting that much CO2 you stupid tools.
 

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
4,475
2,799
332
#2
Psst. Coal and CO2 went out of style in the '80's. 1680's. Nowadays it's all crude oil and propane.

Stop burning crude oil and emitting that much propane you stupid tools.
 

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
7,540
685
257
#3
Nailbomb said:
Psst. Coal and CO2 went out of style in the '80's. 1680's. Nowadays it's all crude oil and propane.

Stop burning crude oil and emitting that much propane you stupid tools.
Most of the US energy production still comes from coal, but yeah, what a bunch of stupid tools. The day after tomorrow isn't science fiction.
 

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
7,540
685
257
#4
Ophelia is now a hurricane and its eye is only a hundreds of kilometers from the coast. 120 mph winds are hitting jacksonville, right now.
 
1,723
92
112
#8
RageAgainst said:
That's just offbeat, but true that, vive le québec :thumbsup:
Bah, la Quebec est pathetique! And fuck the fossil fuel industry!
 

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
7,540
685
257
#9
canadian_pov said:
Bah, la Quebec est pathetique! And fuck the fossil fuel industry!
Amazing how a thread about hurricanes linked with global warming is just about to degenerate into a nationalistic Quebec vs Canada thread!

Have you seen breaking point tonight?
 

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
585
0
0
#13
Global warming is a natural process. The burning of fossil fuels increases the rate that global warming will ocur; but even if the burning of all fossil fuels ceased global warming would not stop. The only way to stop the inordinant amount of hurricanes (and eventually the next ice age) is to make the planetary climate colder. As yet, I know of no way to do so.
 

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
7,540
685
257
#14
ReiMeishin said:
Global warming is a natural process. The burning of fossil fuels increases the rate that global warming will ocur; but even if the burning of all fossil fuels ceased global warming would not stop. The only way to stop the inordinant amount of hurricanes (and eventually the next ice age) is to make the planetary climate colder. As yet, I know of no way to do so.
Give me a freaking break. Naturally, it takes thousands of years for global average temperatures to raise by one or a few degrees, long enough for wildlife and nature to adapt. But yet with the industrial revolutions and huge amounts of human-wasted CO2, we manage to raise unnaturally the global temperatures by the same amount in only half a century. Wildlife and nature don't have time to adapt to this. Give me a fucking break with global warning being a natural process, it's not an excuse because 50 years and 1000 years makes a HUGE difference when it comes to +1 degree.
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
1
0
#15
RageAgainst said:
Give me a freaking break. Naturally, it takes thousands of years for global average temperatures to raise by one or a few degrees, long enough for wildlife and nature to adapt. But yet with the industrial revolutions and huge amounts of human-wasted CO2, we manage to raise unnaturally the global temperatures by the same amount in only half a century. Wildlife and nature don't have time to adapt to this. Give me a fucking break with global warning being a natural process, it's not an excuse because 50 years and 1000 years makes a HUGE difference when it comes to +1 degree.
i think the whole mess i slargely because the fuckwits at the top all think they're going to get 'raptured' so they really don't give a dead rats ass what happens to ol' momma earth..
i've said it before and i'll say it again.. can we have the rapture now please and get rid of those fucks..
 

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
585
0
0
#16
RageAgainst said:
Give me a freaking break. Naturally, it takes thousands of years for global average temperatures to raise by one or a few degrees, long enough for wildlife and nature to adapt. But yet with the industrial revolutions and huge amounts of human-wasted CO2, we manage to raise unnaturally the global temperatures by the same amount in only half a century. Wildlife and nature don't have time to adapt to this. Give me a fucking break with global warning being a natural process, it's not an excuse because 50 years and 1000 years makes a HUGE difference when it comes to +1 degree.
You were speaking in absolute terms. Industry exponentially increased the rate of warming, yes, but even if all industry stopped global warming would still exist. There would not be any global cooling. As for adaptation, nature THRIVES on higher temperatures and larger amonts of CO2. Not good for animals, VERY good for plants. And if plants do well the rest of the ecosystem soon follows. The problem is when the global temperature is so high that arcitc ice melts and flows into the gulf stream. This rapidly lowers the global climate temperature and causes an ice age.
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
1
0
#17
this is all the proof we need..

]
 
322
0
0
#18
Sure, scientists go in a lab and perform a global warming experiment. But that's just it--there in a lab. You can create an example of G.W. and use ozone in a lab, but how can you create a copy of the earth's ozone layer? By making a model of the ozone layer and subjecting it to what we think causes Global Warming problems (CFCs, CO2, etc), do you think it is 80% accurate? Can they take into account every single volcano that erupts? (underwater, above, etc) The variables they use in a lab are only the ones they know about, and the ones that they can manage to recreate show the "effects" of global warming.

do you enjoy electricity? do you enjoy driving? would you really like to just shut everything down because scientists think that America is destroying the ozone layer and causing 10% of the global warming? Even if it "continues rising" and gets to 15% in 100 years, that's only 0.0005% of rising each year. So in my 27 years of existance, the average temperature has gone up 0.0135%, and i'll probably die before it hits 4% if it even does.

Also, take into account WHERE the temperature are taken. A temperature taken from a wide open field is generally lower than a temperature taken from Los Angeles, New York, etc. When taking a temperature, take it away from buildings - they radiate heat and affect temperature readings.

Without global warming, earth's average temperature would be 0 degrees. No one can live at 0 degrees.

I'm not finished-i have to go
 

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
7,540
685
257
#19
slemaire195 said:
Sure, scientists go in a lab and perform a global warming experiment. But that's just it--there in a lab. You can create an example of G.W. and use ozone in a lab, but how can you create a copy of the earth's ozone layer? By making a model of the ozone layer and subjecting it to what we think causes Global Warming problems (CFCs, CO2, etc), do you think it is 80% accurate? Can they take into account every single volcano that erupts? (underwater, above, etc) The variables they use in a lab are only the ones they know about, and the ones that they can manage to recreate show the "effects" of global warming.
Dude, have you ever heard of the theory of relativity.. E=MC2.. You think Einstein proved that in a fucking LAB??

CO2 DOES cause global warming and there's no arguing on that. Billions of tons of CO2 produced does have an effect. You DON'T need a lab to figure that out.

And you think temperatures are taken right beside BUILDINGS? Do you really think that scientists didn't ALREADY think about it? Maybe you should go tell them, cause they didn't already figure it out.

"Without global warming, earth's average temperature would be 0 degrees. No one can live at 0 degrees."
Once again, you sound like a fucking tool. Without Global Warming, earth's average temperature would STAY THE SAME. It would raise by 0 degrees every year, but it wouldn't be 0 degrees.

Yes, I like electricity and driving, and guess what, you don't need to pollute to have both. There's tons of ways to produce electricity, you don't have to burn COAL. And hybrid cars are being more and more developped and produced.

You have no clue what you're talking about.
 
72
0
0
#20
void said:
this is all the proof we need..

]
Nice one void, now, you have one w/ correlations between temperature and the # of politicians residing on mother earth? :mad: