WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

AIM "Triton" Beta to show off new XML technology

Jung

???
Premium
The new AIM Beta launched today. Apparently the new client is build with nothing but javascript, DOM and an XML like language called Boxely. There's some pretty interesting information on Boxely and the new beta at Joe Hewitt's site; he's the creater of Boxely, and former AOL/Mozilla developer.

This seems pretty cool, as cusomizing AIM (removing ads/etc) will be easier than ever now.

Here's a screenshot from Joe's site:

Jung

???
Premium
Figured out how to remove ads. You need to edit this file: C:\program files\common files\AOL\Aim Beta\services\imApp\ver0_1_12\content\blab.box. On line 682, delete or comment out the following code.

<hbox s:hAlign="center" s:vAlign="center" s:maxHeight="auto" s:overflow="hidden" s:height="90" collapsed="true">
<binding objectSource="objPrefs" targetProperty="collapsed" path="buddylistShowAds" method="oneWay" sourceTransformer="toolkit:not" targetTransformer="toolkit:not" />
<vbox>
<aolBuddyListAd id="ad"/>
</vbox>
</hbox>

No ads...

Sorry, code tags don't work anymore. :cry:

Jung

???
Premium
gurlgonewild said:
when you figure it out, let us know!
I already posted how to remove ads. If you can think of anything else to be removed/edited let me know and I'll try. I'm not going to make themes or anything though.

Descent

Hella Constipated
ARGH! That royally pisses me off. No Windows 2000 support.

Must be due to XP's improved GDI code...

Descent

Hella Constipated
Screw_Ball said:
WINDOWS 2000?
I'm quite partial to it, actually! My machine is somewhat up to date (Duron 1.8, 9700 Pro, 1GB RAM, soon to have an AMD 3000+ XP), but 2000 Pro is really not dated at all at the core level!

XP is actually a Windows 2000 Pro core with graphical improvements...It's also not as stable, IMO. Server 2003 has all that and bag of chips, and is even more stable than 2K, but it's more system intensive.

Jung

???
Premium
screw_ball said:
WINDOWS 2000?

:rotflmao:
What about it? It's a great OS, secure as any Microsoft OS, and pretty damn stable too. You'll rarely find something that won't work on it either.
Descent said:
XP is actually a Windows 2000 Pro core with graphical improvements
There's a LOT more than that, although most of it is "under the hood."
It's also not as stable, IMO.
Sure it is, most people don't have any problems. You, however, have problems with everything. In that regard, I think it's a user error.
Server 2003 has all that and bag of chips, and is even more stable than 2K, but it's more system intensive.
I've ran and managed 2k3 servers for about two years now, and I honestly haven't noticed any added stability over our 2k boxes. I guess you're just guessing here, or comparing 2k pro with 2k3 server, which is silly at best.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
Sure it is, most people don't have any problems. You, however, have problems with everything. In that regard, I think it's a user error.
I still can't figure out why XP hates me :D. Maybe if I gave it another go I'd like it now. You see, I actually have a legit copy I bought at launch.

Actually, I'm going to load it on tomorrow, I think...

I think the final straw that kept me from running it again was when 3Dfx's OFFICIAL Voodoo 3 drivers for XP Pro crashed WinLogon.exe a few times before it actually ran. My nVidia TNT2 Pro and my Radeon 9600XT (Now sold!) had the same issue. This was on both Home and Pro, with all updates installed.

Junglizm said:
I've ran and managed 2k3 servers for about two years now, and I honestly haven't noticed any added stability over our 2k boxes. I guess you're just guessing here, or comparing 2k pro with 2k3 server, which is silly at best.
Meh, you keep forgetting I'm talking about Server 2003 as a Workstation. It's stable to the point where I've never actually had a program crash due toa fault with Windows such as a memory leak, etc., it's always been the program's fault. You know, buggy ones such as Descent Mission Builder or the Counter Strike: Source public beta. Programs with their own crappy runtimes and shit.

Server 2003 SP1 includes a software emulated version of that fancy new "Execute Disable Bit," or at least it's own technology. It actually saved my FreeSpace 2 install from the dreaded 3Dfx Glide detecting bug in the FS Launcher about three times :occasion:.

Junglizm said:
There's a LOT more than that, although most of it is "under the hood."
You sure? The kernel itself is identical from what I've heard, but I'm probobly wrong. You help administrate SA, anyway.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
I still can't figure out why XP hates me :D. Maybe if I gave it another go I'd like it now. You see, I actually have a legit copy I bought at launch.
Same here, I own two copies of XP (pre SP1), that's really the only reason I use it.

If you really want though, you can disable all the unneeded services pretty easily. You can export registry after and import it into any new installs after that.
Meh, you keep forgetting I'm talking about Server 2003 as a Workstation.
You seem to not realize that there is NO SUCH thing as 2003 "Workstation," it's a name someone slapped on a how to guide after disabling some services, enabling audio and a few other things. You're comparing a server OS to a desktop OS, apples and oranges.
You sure? The kernel itself is identical from what I've heard, but I'm probobly wrong.
I honestly can't explain the differences, it's been a while. I read on MSDN about all the "core" changes when XP was still Whistler though, and trust me, there are a lot of differences.