WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Airport screener misses butcher knife in purse

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
NEWARK, New Jersey (AP) -- A security screener at Newark Liberty International Airport failed to spot a butcher knife in a passenger's pocketbook and was removed from the post for retraining, officials said.

Katrina Bell, 27, had cleared security and was waiting with her sister to board a flight on Saturday morning when she discovered she was carrying a knife.

Bell had put the knife in her bag "just in case" before going on a blind date earlier that week, her sister and travel companion, Tikisha Bell Gowens, 30, said in The Sunday Star-Ledger of Newark.

"She said to me, 'Oh my God, I have this butcher knife in my pocketbook,"' Bell Gowens said. "My first thought was, 'They're going to think we're terrorists."'

The North Carolina women immediately told airport personnel, who summoned police and officials of the Transportation Security Administration, which employs the screeners.

The women were not charged.

The screener was removed from the checkpoint and will undergo remedial training, TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis said.

"The knife was in a cluttered handbag," Davis said. "It was characterized to me as difficult to detect."

The incident was only the latest embarrassment for screeners at one of the airports from which some of the September 11, 2001, hijackers took off.

In December, baggage screeners at the airport lost a fake bomb planted in luggage by a supervisor during a training exercise. Despite an hours-long search, the fake bomb made it onto an Amsterdam-bound flight.

Two security supervisors were fired after the incident.

On Saturday, officials asked Bell to go through security again with the knife in her pocketbook. It was discovered during the second check.

"Suppose someone else had this knife and their motive was to hijack the plane?" Bell Gowens said. "Come on, now. We had a butcher knife. How do you miss that? How many years do you need to get this right?"

fuck_you

Banned - What an Asshat!
osama's more confident for his next attack now.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Some liberal extremist snuck a box of boxcutters and pocket knives through airport security, and then ditched them in the plane's bathroom.

He said it was "to make a point".

Icarus said:
Some liberal extremist snuck a box of boxcutters and pocket knives through airport security, and then ditched them in the plane's bathroom.

He said it was "to make a point".

That's really fucking sick. Going through airport security is already a pain in the ass due to the bullshit that happened 9/11, and yeah, they still miss shit, but all they can do is tighten it up more once something like that is missed. That makes it suck more for us.

But once nothing happens for a while, things to tend to go unnoticed more often. Lazy trusting bastards.

Bah, I have mixed feelings on it.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
What would've happen if he would've detected it before she realized her mistake? would she have been charged? Because I mean, anyone with bad intentions could go and try to bring a knife, and then if it's found they could just say "oooh am i foolish i forgot it after my blind date last week".. but if it's NOT found.... you get the point.. So basically if they find it can you just claim your innocence by saying "shit my bad" and act really stupid?

Another thing..... Let's say terrorists do special training in kung fu or something.. They could just hijack by kicking ass? What's the big deal with weapons, can't someone with good fighting skills kill you as easily as a terrorist with a blade?

Rage against said:
Another thing..... Let's say terrorists do special training in kung fu or something.. They could just hijack by kicking ass? What's the big deal with weapons, can't someone with good fighting skills kill you as easily as a terrorist with a blade?
See, now we're getting into history. The bestest of the best have always been able to win without weapons existing. Other than their own two fists. And maybe feet.

Then the weaklings used their intelligence to make a way to defeat these strong men. But perhaps intelligence and "fighting skills" are just two different weapons. Always clashing.

I dunno. Nevermind. It always ends up a pissing contest. No one wants to geht along.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
HavokChylde said:
No one wants to geht along.
The thing is, we can't geht along with all the inequities on this planet. The hungry want some food and the fat want it all (metaphor, kinda)

Rage against said:
The thing is, we can't geht along with all the inequities on this planet. The hungry want some food and the fat want it all (metaphor, kinda)

Well, I suppose greed is just a human trait that a few carry, and fuck over all of us nice one's with.

Bastards.