WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Alpha Tropical Storm? bahahah

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
For the first time in meteo history a tropical storm is named in greek alphabet. Why, oh why? You know the answer, yeeep, the seas are warming. One could prove right now that the warmer the water, the higher the probability of hurricanes. Under a certain water temperature, hurricanes can't physically take place. The more it goes warm, the more the hurricanes, and the stronger.

So I repeat: right now, for the first time in history, we're using Alpha for the next hurricane and so on. Well Alpha has already taken place and is just a tropical storm for now. How many more after?

How many next year? what if it's worst than this year, and it makes more damage.. It's because the ocean gets hotter. Then all those saying "global warming is a stinking pile of bullshit" will be idiots. If it magically stops, then hoorah. But the ocean do warm up more abruptly than some would like to ignore.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
First, I'm glad you're not farmed anymore.

Second, couldn't agree more. People REALLY REALLY want to believe that no matter what humans do it has no impact on the world itself. Talk about head in the sand huh?

Noalear

uberNemesis
Global warming also happened back in the midieval ages, it was actually worse than what we are experiencing now. Apparently they switched to hybrid cars just in time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_climate_optimum

http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/n...lim06.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/04/06/ixhome.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/886494/posts

And if you want more, just whack it in google, only a few thousand pages.
Want to know why hurricanes are happening more and more often? Because God hates america. Just kidding.. thats bullshit- god doesnt exist. Its because... more and more hurricanes are being spawned. Thats why. Maybe the Gulf is shaped the way it is because that shit kept happening. Thats entirely possible, right? Or has earth ALWAYS been exactly the same. Shit happens, global warming in a myth. Its easy to point blame at things you yourself didnt do.

Shit happens, grow up and think for youself.

global warming my ass! toss some more stirophome(SP?) on the fire, its still freekin freezing in the north!
all kiddin aside, ya there is so many storms, hurricanes, etc goin on right now, scarey, i'd never make it cause i'm a baby.
my heart goes out to all affected.

jamesp

In Memory...
Okay, many people spew off gibberish about global warming without any knowledge of what's entailed. Yes, all the green house gasses and other nifty little particles that have been added to the atmosphere are causing energy from the sun to be trapped and act like an insulator for the plane, causing everything to get warmer. But, did you know that the winters are getting colder. Within the next fifty to a hundred years the temperature along the gulf stream could lower by eleven (or so) degrees, well, that would mean that the trade winds off the coast of Afrcia would not be able to to maintain the gulf stream. It would, theoratically reverse, throwing off the world's climate for a really long time, possibly even leading to a new ice age. If the glaciers don't melt first....:(

Noalear

uberNemesis
Well we better get to fuckin drivin a shitload more, I like i how it is and apparently were just making an insulator. So the more insulator, the better, energy comes in but doesnt go out, okay, some of it will get reflected. But the winters will be normal and the summer will be pretty much unbearable. I live in Arizona, Ill make it fine- Im used to crazy temperatures. Trust me it only takes a couple weeks to get used to 115*F. At first your like "Okay! Time to go" but then once your body goes hey! I dont actually have to do anything anymore, you go "Hey.. i kinda like the sun keeping me warm for myself! "

So get used to it, the giant solarshades and misters I mean.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
there is talk that wilma and alpha could combine and hit the eastern seaboard as a combined storm..
this is bad. :thumbsdn:

The atmosphere as of Sunday morning holds potential for the development of a powerful storm off the Atlantic Seaboard of the United States early next week. While this would be true to some extent without the existence of Hurricane Wilma and the newly-dubbed Tropical Storm Alpha, which represent a great reservoir of tropical warmth and moisture, it only ratchets up the potential. Two players here are key. First, a sharply dipping jet stream will be thrusting southward from central Canada and tapping a cold pool to spin up low pressure south of the Great Lakes Sunday and Monday. The other player, none other than Hurricane Wilma, will pull away from Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula in time for a crossing of the Florida Peninsula Monday. It is Monday night and Tuesday when things could get crazy in the meteorological sense. The strong northeast-trending jet stream will scoop up Wilma, with possible contribution from Alpha, as the low shifts from the Appalachians to the coast. If Wilma were to follow the western edges of its forecast window and begin to draw in the cool low from the west, an explosive deepening could result, culminating in a deep and fully merged storm raging south of Nova Scotia Wednesday.

http://headlines.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?article=6

I'm not liking the looks of that map. I know your description says Nova Scotia will get blasted, but I live in Rhode Island so I'm wondering how much of that is going to hit here. Hmm...

And as for global warming causing hurricanes, we had problems like this in the 60s too(record breaking hurricanes and what not). The earth just goes through its phases, I think.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
TheLampIncident said:
I'm not liking the looks of that map.
pretty safe bet that you'll get a lot of rain.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
jamesp said:
Okay, many people spew off gibberish about global warming without any knowledge of what's entailed. Yes, all the green house gasses and other nifty little particles that have been added to the atmosphere are causing energy from the sun to be trapped and act like an insulator for the plane, causing everything to get warmer. But, did you know that the winters are getting colder. Within the next fifty to a hundred years the temperature along the gulf stream could lower by eleven (or so) degrees, well, that would mean that the trade winds off the coast of Afrcia would not be able to to maintain the gulf stream. It would, theoratically reverse, throwing off the world's climate for a really long time, possibly even leading to a new ice age. If the glaciers don't melt first....:(
And why is the gulf stream getting weaker? Duh, the ice is melting up north, and ice water is unsalted, and it messes up the ocean streams, wich in turn messes up the climate, making it devastatingly cooler.

And why are the ice caps melting? Because of global warming.

There! So before everything in our lattitudes become ice, we could educate ourselves and do something, or ignore the problem and say stupid shit about the medieval climate.

oh yeah, and theres no super-vacuum to "clean" up the atmosphere, and the billions of tons of shit gas we produce won't magically disappear

jamesp

In Memory...
Not only do most people see global warming as some distater on the horizon that will eventually turn out planet into a desert, but they do assume that we can just clean it up in a little while, when we decided to. Truth be told, I seriously doubt that anything really can be done. There has been terrible damage to the ozone, that can't just be fixed.

RageAgainst: I said that the summers are getting hotter, just as everyone says, but the winters are getting colder. So we're dually fucked.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
global warming is a problem if you make the assumption that mammalian life on this particular planet is important.. i don't.. but then i suffer from apathy of the ego.. once you calm down some and realise you are just a carbon based twinkle in the eye of the universe it all gets a little easier to cope with the fact that we don't really matter any more than a potato does..

taking lsd can help you make this leap of rationale..

Jung

???
Premium
RageAgainst said:
For the first time in meteo history a tropical storm is named in greek alphabet. Why, oh why? You know the answer, yeeep, the seas are warming.
To clarify on your vague explanation.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml
Since 1953, Atlantic tropical storms have been named from lists originated by the National Hurricane Center and now maintained and updated by an international committee of the World Meteorological Organization. The lists featured only women's names until 1979, when men's and women's names were alternated. Six lists are used in rotation. Thus, the 2004 list will be used again in 2010. Here is more information on the history of naming hurricanes.

The only time that there is a change in the list is if a storm is so deadly or costly that the future use of its name on a different storm would be inappropriate for reasons of sensitivity. If that occurs, then at an annual meeting by the WMO committee (called primarily to discuss many other issues) the offending name is stricken from the list and another name is selected to replace it.

Several names have been changed since the lists were last used. Four names from the 1995 list have been retired. On the 2001 list, Lorenzo has replaced Luis, Michelle has replaced Marilyn, Olga has replaced Opal, and Rebekah has replaced Roxanne. Three names from the 1996 list have been retired. On the 2002 list, Cristobal has replaced Cesar, Fay has replaced Fran, and Hanna has replaced Hortense. Two names from the 1998 list have been retired. On the 2004 list, Gaston has replaced Georges and Matthew has replaced Mitch. On the 2006 list, Kirk has replaced Keith. Here is more information on the retirement of hurricane names.

In the event that more than 21 named tropical cyclones occur in the Atlantic basin in a season, additional storms will take names from the Greek alphabet: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and so on.

On the global warming issue, look at the larger picture; the last 30 years or so have been in a lull, it's just getting back to the way it used to be. Plus, every major meteorologist I can find claims that although it is causing a slight increase in intensity, it isn't causing an increase in the number of storms. At least not relative to the larger picture. Some people are choosing to be very nearsighted on this issue...

I consider Kerry Emmanuel to be a pretty big name in hurricane science, check out his thoughts: http://wind.mit.edu/~emanuel/anthro2.htm

void said:
pretty safe bet that you'll get a lot of rain.
Wonderful. The ground's already saturated because we got rained on for over a week, now this...

*puts on scuba gear*

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
So burning fossil fuels create more CO2 and deplete the ozone layer, causing global warming. How long have we been burning fossil fuels at the rate we do now? The gasoline engine was invented 120 years ago, and mass production of the Model T began in 1908. The depletion of the world's oil reserves is widely debated, and obviously the reserves will be exhausted within this or the next generations lifetime. Really it's a blip on the geological time-period map. Cattle and sheep produce methane which add to the problem, according to some experts. So what can we as the people of Earth do to reverse this trend? Not a whole freakin lot. Will the world run out of oil and coal and natural gas before the world becomes a "global desert"? Undoubtly. Developing alternative forms of energy as soon as possible is essential, but Global Warming is not the No.1 reason we need to do that. The question about Global Warming comes down to do you believe that 100 or 200 years is enough to ruin the Earth when it's been around for roughly 4.5 Billion years?

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
FYI: The world used to be pretty much tropical, about 45 milliion years ago. After that, it was all ICE. So, while I agree with the effects of global warming, it is also a natural pattern.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/03/0326_020326_TVredwoods.html
Arctic Redwood Fossils Are Clues to Ancient Climates
Bijal P. Trivedi
National Geographic Today
March 26, 2002

Axel Heiberg Island, at 82 degrees north and just a stone's throw from the North Pole, was once a great vacation spot—during the Eocene epoch, about 45 million years ago. Lush redwood forests, ferns, flowering plants, and a huge variety of animals, now extinct, once thrived here.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
tw33k said:
The question about Global Warming comes down to do you believe that 100 or 200 years is enough to ruin the Earth when it's been around for roughly 4.5 Billion years?
the earth will be fine, she's a tough cookie.. but the 'life' fragiley supported on earth's crust will either have to rapidly adapt or face extinction..

i vote the latter for humans, let the bugs have the planet.

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
The biggest problem with the world now is the rampant extinction of many species of plants and animals. Biodiversity is what makes the Earth viable to plant and animal life, and we're killing it off at an incredible rate with over-development. Some people see a forest and all they see is somewhere to build more fuckin over-priced homes on tiny lots. They feel deer and squirrels and raccoons and other wildlife "infringe" on their land. Bears and other large animals need to be eradicated because they are a danger. They're not a danger as long as they have somewhere to live away from human interaction. We don't have to pave over the whole damn Earth.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
dustinzgirl said:
FYI: The world used to be pretty much tropical, about 45 milliion years ago. After that, it was all ICE. So, while I agree with the effects of global warming, it is also a natural pattern.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/03/0326_020326_TVredwoods.html
Arctic Redwood Fossils Are Clues to Ancient Climates
Bijal P. Trivedi
National Geographic Today
March 26, 2002

Axel Heiberg Island, at 82 degrees north and just a stone's throw from the North Pole, was once a great vacation spot—during the Eocene epoch, about 45 million years ago. Lush redwood forests, ferns, flowering plants, and a huge variety of animals, now extinct, once thrived here.
Don't you realize that the natural pattern of warming is supposed to take place in a scale of thousands if not millions of years and now we face the problem that the scale is now reduced to decades?

This causes adaptation problems for many animal species, the tree line is rapidly moving up north and polar bears are fucked, along with many other animals.

The relatively fast warming can also cause a new ice age that wouldn't have taken place so soon, wich could greatly damage life.

junglizm said:
On the global warming issue, look at the larger picture; the last 30 years or so have been in a lull, it's just getting back to the way it used to be. Plus, every major meteorologist I can find claims that although it is causing a slight increase in intensity, it isn't causing an increase in the number of storms. At least not relative to the larger picture. Some people are choosing to be very nearsighted on this issue...

I consider Kerry Emmanuel to be a pretty big name in hurricane science, check out his thoughts: http://wind.mit.edu/~emanuel/anthro2.htm
First of all, the oceans are hotter now than 30 years ago and temperature definitely have something to do with hurricanes. Looks like your little natural pattern could very well be broken by "Man's hand".

As for the number of storms, this year is a record, and i bet you 10$ that next year will be worst.

You can't produce billions of tons of CO2 AND massively cut trees, and expect everything to be just fine. I think this year's many hurricanes are just the tip of the "iceberg" of problems that we'll have to face in the upcoming years.

R

RedOctober

Nobody mentioned that the Amazone territory is dry now. All the rain is falling north of it. Climate is just shifting north.