WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

AMD and Intel to pit cpus against each other

Sal

Banned - What an Asshat!
http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=169600316

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD) on Tuesday (August 23) issued a challenge to Intel Corp. to conduct a head-to-head competition of dual-core server microprocessors.

AMD's proposed dual-core duel would be a live, public performance evaluation between server platforms based on the dual-core Opteron 800 Series or 200 Series processors and the corresponding Intel product.

Should Intel accept AMD's challenge, the duel would take place at a public venue to be announced in the coming weeks, with testing conducted by a neutral, third-party testing lab.

"Since we launched Dual-Core AMD Opteron processors in April 2005, we've won every major industry-standard benchmark for x86 servers. AMD64 dual-core technology provides industry-leading performance, is easy to upgrade and is energy efficient," said Marty Seyer, corporate vice president and general manager of the Microprocessor Solutions Sector at AMD (Sunnyvale, Calif.), in a statement.

"We are giving our competitor a fair and open opportunity to challenge our clear market leadership in a public setting,” he said. “The gauntlet has been thrown down, it is time to cut through the hype, and demonstrate who the industry's leader in x86 dual-core processing is today."
What do you guys make of this, and, if it happens, who do you think will win?

Jung

???
Premium
The Opteron 27x series will beat The Xeon Ds hands down. It's not even a competition.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
And if you read the rest of the stories, Intel won't play. Infact Intel's CEO made a nasty French joke when pressed about the issue.

Clickity I know the reg isn't the best tech site out there but damnit, they do focus on the funnier shit sometimes.

Jung

???
Premium
UberSkippy said:
I know the reg isn't the best tech site out there but damnit, they do focus on the funnier shit sometimes.
I actually like the Register; they're sort of like Kuro5hin in that they always add humor into the articles. Besides, how can you not like a site that hosts the BOFH?

Sal

Banned - What an Asshat!
UberSkippy said:
And if you read the rest of the stories, Intel won't play. Infact Intel's CEO made a nasty French joke when pressed about the issue.

Clickity I know the reg isn't the best tech site out there but damnit, they do focus on the funnier shit sometimes.

Does that mean AMD wins then?

Jung

???
Premium
How could AMD 'win' if Intel didn't even accept the challenge? Unless you're counting on a win by forfeit, that's ridiculous. However, in reality, AMD's server CPUs own the market. Period. There is no competition.

On a side note, that "what's wrong with Itaniums" comment is hilarious. Oh, you mean the most expensive x64 chip on the market today, which is also horribly antiquated? :lol:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
junglizm said:
I actually like the Register; they're sort of like Kuro5hin in that they always add humor into the articles. Besides, how can you not like a site that hosts the BOFH?
True, the BFOH makes it worth reading all by itself. Frankly, I think it's a good site as far as it goes. I'm not entirely sure they're always on top of it but even then they do a good job of things. ANd you're right about the humor... why does IT shit have to be so borring?

Sal said:
Does that mean AMD wins then?
As far as marketing points go they do.