WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines American Racism

I live in a nation that calls itself the melting pot, a place where everyone pretends they are accepting. I, myself, am a white American- and I can't wait to get away from this culture of veiled racism.
I was raised to accept everyone, in a non-religious household. So, when I started dating an Indian man I didn't find any issue with it. We have some cultural challenges we face, but nothing that we can't move beyond together.
Yet, in this nation of acceptance, everyone I know has had something to say about my relationship. My roommate worries that he'll ask me to cover my head, my friends worry what people will think when we're in public together, my co-workers have danced around outright calling him a terrorist. I've been asked if he smells bad and if he's controlling. A man I know actually told me that I'm too cute and shouldn't have to date a foreigner.
No, he will not ask me to cover my head. He values my culture as much as I do his. I don't give a damn what people think when we're in public, and he is most certainly not a terrorist. He comes from the land of Ghandi and Mother Teresa. He smells better than most American men I've come across. If anyone in the relationship is controlling it would have to be me- I get my way most often. And, believe it or not, I actually WANT to date him.
In a land that is so divided on all fronts even this subtle racism has to come to an end. The people judging me and my relationship are the same people who claim to accept everyone. The culture of fearing anyone with darker skin than the average republican-rightie has got to end. Just as not all white men are evil war-mongers, all brown people are not terrorists.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
I've seen people refer to middle-eastern people as "sand ******s" or "towel heads". Then I told them they were being racist, and they denied it :confused:

Some people are too dumb and narrow-minded for words.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Let's be fair then. Many whites fear the darker colors, and many of the darker colors fear the white. Racism cuts both ways and I agree with you that it is rampant in America. Humans cannot deal with difference, they always pretend to, but just be different and you get to see a whole new evil side to it all. Lose a limb, interracial date, anything that makes narrow minded people think you are so different than "the norm" and they come after you. It sickens me.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
I understand you heather. I too had to deal with such situations. I had this "white" girlfriend whose parents hated me because I was hispanic. They wouldn't even say hi to me. I treated that girl like a queen. I was the best thing that happened to her. Now, she is dating with idiot, who I heard abuses her and makes her cry. In my situation, I couldn't take the abuse, and I had to leave her. :thumbsdn:

people call me a terrorist etc. all the time, and it reall offends me. some people are just too ignorant :thumbsdn:

Jack

Personable
Some fuckin' hillbilly called me a "spic" today. I'm an Irish-Swede with black hair. Welcome to Indiana, Racism Capital of the Upper-East-Central-Midwest.

Hater808

The hate still Shapes me
Come to Hawaii, here the white people are discriminated against :thumbsup: Here the white people are called names. I have lived here all my life and it serves as a nice taste of reality. Being the minority helps pit people against you. As said above people don't like things they don't understand or are different.

Hater808 said:
Come to Hawaii, here the white people are discriminated against :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:? Please tell me you're being sarcastic. Like that's any better than racism towards Hispanics, African Amercians, Indians, etc. Discrimination towards anybody is wrong.

Hater808

The hate still Shapes me
Totally sarcastic, racism wrong anywhere but the norm in america, being 75 white, is that poeple of color are discriminated, but here it's the other way around only 15-25 are white. Just thought I'd share that with the other wtfer's, since they were being discriminated for being different.

Hater808 said:
Totally sarcastic, racism wrong anywhere but the norm in america, being 75 white, is that poeple of color are discriminated, but here it's the other way around only 15-25 are white. Just thought I'd share that with the other wtfer's, since they were being discriminated for being different.
That's cool. I wasn't attacking you. I kind of figured you were being sarcastic, but I wanted to make sure. ;)

yea...being different is something that a lot of people can't handle. When it comes to racism, i think it's all split down the middle. There's just as much white people that discriminate blacks. Or Just as much blacks that discriminate hispanics. Or Hispanics towards the whites. And Blacks to the whites, and so on and so on. There isn't one race out there that hates another race more. The reason why it's like to me is because it seems like one person thinks that THAT person is racist. If you ask me thats a rascist thought. Color of the skin doesnt really apply thease days. You can pretty much have any skin color and we wont care less about it. Its more of the way people are and the way they act. Mabey in the civll war days skin was a big deal. Its no excuse in todays world. You know what i wish? (and please dont take me the wrong way on this), I wish there was only one race. Regardless what race it is. Weather it'd be africans, Asian, White, Hispanic....i just wish there was only one of them....but thats what ppeople are trying to do though. Get rid of all the other races and have one seporior race. If we had only one race to begin with...i think that would make a big difference in this hell whole we call earth. Im white myself and I can say that I'm deffinatly not rascist. I grew up in prolly one of the most diverse towns you can know. I have many friends of many different kinds of races. Whats the kool thing about it is that they dont act the same. They act like they act and people here respect that. Of course your going to see a few rascist here and there (black, white and hispanic) but noe theless its a very respectful town.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
dull_bullet said:
people call me a terrorist etc. all the time, and it reall offends me. some people are just too ignorant :thumbsdn:
You're from middle-east? That's cool, I didn't know. Are you muslim or christian or atheist or what?

Back on topic, one thing I like from different ethnics is girls. One of the things I like about multiculturalism is you get to see all kind of really nice girls with different color and shapes. I saw two hispanic girls today, they even spoke in Spanish wich is rare up here, and they were hot as hell.

I also love middle-eastern women, love their color :thumbsup:

RageAgainst said:
You're from middle-east? That's cool, I didn't know. Are you muslim or christian or atheist or what?

Back on topic, one thing I like from different ethnics is girls. One of the things I like about multiculturalism is you get to see all kind of really nice girls with different color and shapes. I saw two hispanic girls today, they even spoke in Spanish wich is rare up here, and they were hot as hell.

I also love middle-eastern women, love their color :thumbsup:

somewhere in between Islam and atheism...

haha come to texas, you can get all the hispanic girls you want!

OMGROFFLECOPTER said:
You're white and you're going out with an Indian.

No further elaboration on anyones part needed.

Verdict: disgusting.

?!?

what the hell. It shouldn't matter that she's white and she's going out with and indian. hell, i'm middle eastern and i might go out with a white, or some oriental, or colombian.

It's not your right to judge.

OMGROFFLECOPTER

Banned - What an Asshat!
Sure it is. I'm going to refrain from calling you childish names, though they are plenty. But stick with your own kind, no need for whites to be corrupted. That only makes halfbreed, half decent children. If Ignorance was a heat rash, im sorry for popping your Bliss(ter). Haha. I'm so fuckin clever.

Kalmageddon said:
You know what i wish? (and please dont take me the wrong way on this), I wish there was only one race. Regardless what race it is. Weather it'd be africans, Asian, White, Hispanic....i just wish there was only one of them....but thats what ppeople are trying to do though. Get rid of all the other races and have one seporior race. If we had only one race to begin with...i think that would make a big difference in this hell whole we call earth.
People would just find something else to discriminate about. Its the fear of the unknown, really.

OMGROFFLECOPTER said:
Sure it is. I'm going to refrain from calling you childish names, though they are plenty. But stick with your own kind, no need for whites to be corrupted. That only makes halfbreed, half decent children. If Ignorance was a heat rash, im sorry for popping your Bliss(ter). Haha. I'm so fuckin clever.
Stick with your own kind?? WTF is that supposed to mean? Your making it seem like they're not fuckin' human or something. It's people like you that make people like me go on a rampage. I'm white. To me all woman are beautiful...no matter what race. I went with a black chick before and there was nothing wrong with it.

You're probally the same kind of person who hates gays and lesbians and quite frankly, narrow-minded. And if you're going to compare ignorance with a heat rash then you must be the biggest walking, talking blisster ever. "Life is too short to be pissed off all the time."

The town I live in is mostly white. Mostly people of dutch origin.

We have a few black people, though not many.

So, needless to say, I grew up living a very sheltered life. All I knew of other races were what I heard from people. Some good, a lot bad. It wasn't until I moved to surrey for 6 months last summer that I realized a lot of the stuff I heard was not true.

Surrey has a huge musilim population. A lot of brown people there. At first I thought they were... I dunno... strange. Remember that I've never had interaction with them before. But, as I worked among them, I began to admire their culture. I found it fascinating. Even though I couldn't understand them when they tried to talk to me, I got the basic idea of what they were trying to say.

They're very nice people.