WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

and the next Ipod is...

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/23471

Wall Street Journal columnist Walter Mossberg is one of the first to see, touch and feel an iPod nano -- Apple's newest digital media device with color display, and flash-based storage of up to 1,000 songs. His verdict: "I am smitten" and it "has the best combination of beauty and functionality of any music player I've tested."

Mr. Mossberg reported (online subscription required) he has been testing a model for a few days and that the newest handheld music player "exceeds Apple's performance claims."

The longtime WSJ technology reviewer said the nano is not only small, but "stunningly skinny" at 0.26 inches, or "about the thickness of five credit cards stacked on top of one another."

In tests, Mr. Mossberg said "the nano's battery lasted a bit longer than Apple claims (of 14 hours) -- 14 hours and 18 minutes. And I was easily able to pack around 1,200 songs, plus a couple dozen photos, into the US$249 (4 gigabyte) model.

"I found no significant flaws or downsides," he wrote. "The only quirks are that the headphone jack is on the bottom, because there isn't room for it on the top; and to make room for the jack, the standard iPod connector port that hooks up to many accessories has been placed off-center. But neither of these oddities matters much. In fact, the bottom-mounted headphone jack makes the optional lanyard earbuds possible, and keeps the screen oriented properly when you're wearing them."

Although knowing full well that the nano uses flash-memory to store audio and not a mechanical hard drive like the standard iPod, Mr. Mossberg tested its abilities by dropping it several times from a height of some three feet, only to find "it didn't miss a beat."

Mr. Mossberg mentioned Apple's new ROKR mobile phone with iTunes capability, but said he believed Apple "clearly considers the new iPod nano a much bigger deal for now. In fact, it hopes that the nano's slender size and ample capacity will blunt the belief that people don't want to carry a separate phone and music player."

His conclusion: "There are dozens of small, flash-based music players, but I haven't seen any that combine the nano's size and features...All I can say is: It sure is small and it sure is cool."
horray. A new ipod, just what we all need.

I'm happy with my $150, 30 gig nomad, thank you.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
I gots a 2.5 gig rave player... me is happy..

yay for touchpads too small for your fingers!

they should have stopped at the 4th generation ipod. it's too played out now.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
I'm in the market for an iPod ... anyone got any ideas for me?

Just links or anything will do

Jung

???
Premium

Boycott

Soul Doubt
I'll look around in stores around here... I'll most likely be able to find something nice :) I didn't know if any of the special models or newer ones held any better capabilities or not... Thanks for the advice :) Most likely saved me some money

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Look for the 30 gig color screen iPod on Amazon, it costs $13 more than the 20 gig one. $13 for 10 extra gigs of memory, can't go wrong :thumbsup:

The 60 Gig isnt worth it, it would take forever to fill that thing, and pictures on and ipod = pointless

Jung

???
Premium
Phantom said:
it would take forever to fill that thing
Not if you have a lot of music; I currently have about 4 times the amount of music I can fit onto my 30GB iPod.

Most people dont have that much, so for most uses it would take forever to fill. If he needs that much then fine he should get it.

Jung

???
Premium
Phantom said:
Most people dont have that much
A lot of my friends do. Some people rip their CDs, you know. I can't be bothered to dick around with CDs when I'm at or near a computer.

The 60GB version is pretty expensive, but it gives you room to grow... and allows you more space to use lossless files. (because most mp3s sound like shit, and most people are clueless when it comes to creating them.)

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
I'm more of an album guy. I'd probably end up ripping all my CDs onto my iPod. Or, I could just save a few hundred dollars and buy a 20$ CD player. :thumbsup:

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
Boycott said:
I'm in the market for an iPod ... anyone got any ideas for me?

Just links or anything will do
they're great little things, i have a ipod mini, and it hasn't let me down, depends how much music u have really

.!.^.^.!.

'United by Fate'
Ye man, technology going to fast these days, they bring out like two similar inventions in like one week. Why make a new ipod? I doubt it does nothing new, which previous ipod's cant do. Aslong as they store and play music im happy... dont kno about you lot :)

iPod nano is supposed to replace the iPod mini.

but shit, why?

they need to make an iPod with BLUETOOTH. Wireless Headphones could be built on the same principal that BT earpieces are. 15-30 feet to walk around, it would be so perfect to have in an office so you could just walk around. an excercising too. the little FM transmitter is a piece of shit.

And now that apple uses the USB cable to sync AND charge (no more firewire), it's a pain in the ass to go all the way to my bed and get the wire, and come allllll the way back just to sync one song. iPod Bluetooth.

and they should let the 20gig have a black face.

maybe not bluetooth. it totally would suck.

maybe just a better FM transmitter then. they've already got that FM thing that you stick on the top to broadcast FM, maybe they could just build that in and start using those aftermarket batteries that get 280 hours.

Jung

???
Premium
You're going to lose a lot of fidelity when sending ANY audio signal over FM. If you don't care about quality, then yeah, it's a viable option, but I like my audio to sound good.