WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

angels & demons

Black Flame

Mayhem on the Loose
393
0
0
#1
i'm starting to read a book my mom bought and lent to me. it's called angels & demons by dan brown. i spent a lot of my class time at school reading it because it's so good. there are so many interesting facts in there, and i've really been motivated to do more research on religion, scientific theories etc. not that i wasn't interested in it before... maybe i just don't get out much, but i think it's just because i sometimes have picky motivational habits... i suppose.
so anyway! back on topic... i've always considered the possibility of science and religion being connected in some way. of course i couldn't explain in what way because.. well i'm not a physicist or symbologist of any sort. this gave me a better view on things, and i'm wondering what all of your thoughts are on whether we, as human beings, aswell as all events the universe holds is, or could be, connected in some way. or if you believe they are two seperate things, and take either side of which. the sides being science and religion (or spirituality).
it would be better if the people who replied to this have read, or generally know of, angels & demons, or even the sequel, the da vinci code. which i definately plan to read next.
hopefully this isn't a thread that has really been bashed in the head too many times. at least not one that talks about these two things but tieing/tying (sp?) in with this particular book. or any other books you think relate and care to mention! knock yourselves out.
 
48
0
0
#2
I have read the Davinci code, a definate must-read for all. I have not read Angels and Demons but from this post I am intrigued to.
 

Black Flame

Mayhem on the Loose
393
0
0
#3
definately. thank you for being literate! this has been up since yesterday and you're the only reply thus far. which is funny because there's people in here who boast about being so intellectual and knowledgable etc but put up a good thread about a good book and no one replys. wtf? i'm actually quite disappointed. i was hoping for some stimulating conversation here... *sniffle*
 
23
0
0
#4
I have read the Da Vinci Code, but not Angels and Demons. Dan Brown is an excellent writter but not everything he puts into his novels are accurate. And, on the subject of science and religion being connected, I belive it is. Why is PI 3.14? Why not 5.72? Why are there X and Y chromosomes in our DNA and not X, Y, Z?
 
24
0
0
#5
I've read both the DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons. They're excellent. As stated above, they are not entirely factual. They're based in fact. (i.e. the Illuminati does exist) however they are still fiction.

Both books did raise some interesting questions for me personally.

Has anyone read any of his other books? I just started Deception Point (I'm only about 5 pages in right now). The characters are entirely different, and I'm not sure what exactly the plot is yet. I'm having a hard time deciding if I'll like this one as much as I liked the other ones I read. I think the symbology and the religious aspect, as well as the setting (France and Italy) are what drew me to the other books.
 

Black Flame

Mayhem on the Loose
393
0
0
#6
what makes the illuminati 'still fiction'? or do you mean the books themselves are still fiction. there's actually quite a lot of factual stuff in there, i'm starting to do some research bit by bit. i'm sure you just mean that the story and adventures are not real. of course no one can really be sure of some things, such as high intelligence underground research facilities among other things. i like that the book just raises so many questions that are pleasurably mind-boggling to think about!
and... you never know, maybe there's a robert langdon out there secretly trying to save the world or something from impending doom... or something. :p
did you know that they have actually discovered anti matter? i remember hearing about that quite a while ago... haven't really heard much else since though. makes me wonder.
 

Black Flame

Mayhem on the Loose
393
0
0
#8
that's really cool. good site! i can never usually find reliable sites for info on the internet. i try to rely on books more... should i be lucky enough to find good ones. of course i usually go to some of my adult friends for good books rather than a library because there's a lot out there that you'll not find in a library. especially good ones on conspiracy.
Black Flame said:
definately. thank you for being literate! this has been up since yesterday and you're the only reply thus far. which is funny because there's people in here who boast about being so intellectual and knowledgable etc but put up a good thread about a good book and no one replys. wtf? i'm actually quite disappointed. i was hoping for some stimulating conversation here... *sniffle*
that's odd... someone gave me bad rep for that post and left no comment or name... i guess i insulted them? heehee, cool! :)
anyway, thanks for the contribution to this thread to those who have given it, though it's not a lot. thanks anyways ;)
 
24
0
0
#9
Black Flame said:
what makes the illuminati 'still fiction'? or do you mean the books themselves are still fiction. there's actually quite a lot of factual stuff in there, i'm starting to do some research bit by bit. i'm sure you just mean that the story and adventures are not real. of course no one can really be sure of some things, such as high intelligence underground research facilities among other things. i like that the book just raises so many questions that are pleasurably mind-boggling to think about!
and... you never know, maybe there's a robert langdon out there secretly trying to save the world or something from impending doom... or something. :p
did you know that they have actually discovered anti matter? i remember hearing about that quite a while ago... haven't really heard much else since though. makes me wonder.
what i was getting at is that though based in fact (i.e. the illuminati does exist, etc...) the stories themselves are fiction. don't get me wrong, they're still awesome, thought-provoking books, but there's a lot of people having trouble separating the facts from the fiction.
 

Black Flame

Mayhem on the Loose
393
0
0
#10
lysbyth said:
what i was getting at is that though based in fact (i.e. the illuminati does exist, etc...) the stories themselves are fiction. don't get me wrong, they're still awesome, thought-provoking books, but there's a lot of people having trouble separating the facts from the fiction.
haha, yes well i would have figured that to be obvious but i suppose not considering apparently a lot of people have trouble separating these obvious fictions from facts. blarg. people are odd.
 

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
585
0
0
#11
Funny you should mention this, check out my "Tie your mind around this" thread.