WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Animal-Human Hybrids Spark Controversy, C&P thread

tzedek

Original Member
Scientists have begun blurring the line between human and animal by producing chimeras—a hybrid creature that's part human, part animal.
Weissman has already created mice with brains that are about one percent human.

Later this year he may conduct another experiment where the mice have 100 percent human brains. This would be done, he said, by injecting human neurons into the brains of embryonic mice.

Before being born, the mice would be killed and dissected to see if the architecture of a human brain had formed. If it did, he'd look for traces of human cognitive behavior.....

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/01/0125_050125_chimeras.html

ferengi

Yay fire!
That would suck... Imagine mice as smart as human beings. Would they be protected under our laws as being human, or would they still have no rights? Would they escape the lab and breed into a new race of super-mice bent on world conquest? It'd be scary giving an animal, ANY animal, a human brain...

swizeguy

How dare you!?
Thats pretty messed up.. makes you wonder where its gonna end...
Whats the point? where will we ever really need human/mice hybrids?

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Someone is giving these scientists way too much money. A bunch of Dr. Mengalas.

Perhaps they could use their "big" brains for something useful...

chucktheskiffie

Way too hyper...
if mice joined the workforce it would be time to leave, cause you always know that there will be some unlucky bastard that will have to work for a rodent...

wait a minute!!!!

mice with 1% human brain???
mice like cheese!

mmm...cheese's posts denote he only has 1% of the human brain... and his name speaks for itself.

THEY'RE COMING!!! AND THEIR JOINING WTF.COM TO PREACH STUPIDITY!!!

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Scientists and genetic engineers aren't doing these combinations to just create wierd monsters. No University is going to fund a mad scientist. These seemingly pointless human-nonhuman hybrid experiments are performed because other species have nice attributes that ours doesn't: nature didn't give them to us, we have to create them ourselves. I don't know about rest of you, but I think breast cancer, prostate cancer, testicular cancer, balding, Alsiemher's, aging, Down's Syndrome and long list of problems can kiss my ass. We need cures for these things. These hybrids are part of R&D effort to achieve them. You'll be grateful when their efforts yield results, so give scientists the who trying make it happen a break.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
Woodreaux said:
Scientists and genetic engineers aren't doing these combinations to just create wierd monsters. No University is going to fund a mad scientist. These seemingly pointless human-nonhuman hybrid experiments are performed because other species have nice attributes that ours doesn't: nature didn't give them to us, we have to create them ourselves. I don't know about rest of you, but I think breast cancer, prostate cancer, testicular cancer, balding, Alsiemher's, aging, Down's Syndrome and long list of problems can kiss my ass. We need cures for these things. These hybrids are part of R&D effort to achieve them. You'll be grateful when their efforts yield results, so give scientists the who trying make it happen a break.
They are kind of crossing the lines to be honest? Who knows if someone will push it to far. THEN WHAT?