WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Animal Rights

ferengi

Yay fire!
This might get long, so bear with me.
Anyone else think that animals need to be given better protection under the law? I mean, I think if someone sets a defenseless kitten on fire or stomps a puppy to death they deserve more than a pissy little fine. Since humanity is the most intelligent of all species, some people just assume that all other species are here just for our amusement or to use for whatever we want, regardless of whether or not it causes them pain.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those PETA nuts who thinks you should be hanged for stepping on an ant and shit like that :rolleyes: But I do think that as the dominant species of this planet, we have a responsibility to look after and care for the lower creatures, not exploit and torture them at every turn.
I'm not against eating animals, but I AM against the conditions in which the animals are kept in at slaughterhouses. Their deaths are made way too stressful in most cases, and I don't trust that the meat I'm getting is completely sanitary.
Comments?

tzedek

Original Member
well then. I feel the same way you do. Mass-murderers get more rights than any animal ever has. Im not a big fan of the whole production area either, but unless you want to pay 3X for food than thats how it has to be. i do really wish animals were treated better in any case. :(

sanitary?

you may be right but who wants to uphold the death penalty for vehicular homicide on your neighbor's endangered kitten? and if you can't stomach what is being sold maybe you should slaughter it yourself make it kosher dude

ferengi

Yay fire!
I'm particularly fond of horses. Not quite sure why, I just get a sense of well-being whenever I'm around one.

tzedek

Original Member
horses scare me... too big and menacing

ferengi

Yay fire!
They can be intimidating sometimes, but a lot of the time they can be very affectionate just like a puppy dog... That is, of course, if they're treated right.

who'd want a flaming kitten anyway?

if i were to set a living thing on fire it wouldn't be a defenseless domesticated animal of course they r all defenseless against flammable substances

tzedek

Original Member
spill14me said:
if i were to set a living thing on fire it wouldn't be a defenseless domesticated animal of course they r defenseless against flammable substances

what would it be then...

i think animals r better than ppl only because they r innocent
if we had that left we'd be food also tho

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
ferengi74656 said:
This might get long, so bear with me.
Anyone else think that animals need to be given better protection under the law? I mean, I think if someone sets a defenseless kitten on fire or stomps a puppy to death they deserve more than a pissy little fine. Since humanity is the most intelligent of all species, some people just assume that all other species are here just for our amusement or to use for whatever we want, regardless of whether or not it causes them pain.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those PETA nuts who thinks you should be hanged for stepping on an ant and shit like that :rolleyes: But I do think that as the dominant species of this planet, we have a responsibility to look after and care for the lower creatures, not exploit and torture them at every turn.
I'm not against eating animals, but I AM against the conditions in which the animals are kept in at slaughterhouses. Their deaths are made way too stressful in most cases, and I don't trust that the meat I'm getting is completely sanitary.
Comments?
People abuse animals at every turn. Whether it's locking a dog in the house and not allowing it to piss for 9 hours a day, caging a bird so it can't do the one cool thing it was born to do, or making every meal they eat cause the suffering and death of some creature.

Mankind is the worst sort of "animal" there is...

ferengi

Yay fire!
spill14me said:
y do horses make you feel better about life ferengi?
i assume u don't work w/mr. ed
I don't know. I've just had a soft spot for 'em ever since I was a kid.
I sorta had a rough childhood (I won't go into details) and a horse was the first animal I ever came into contact with when I was like 6. It was so affectionate toward me and immediately I felt a bond. I know it probably sounds kinda corny... but ah whatever.

and these animals need to eat so, square one? or should we take the pain we rend upon ourselves to make reparations, possibly lending some of our bad habits to the animal kingdom at large?

breakology

Kiss my Converse
Does that mean my fly swatter is inhumane? What about roach motels and rat traps? Inhumane also?

ferengi

Yay fire!
Like I said, I wouldn't take it THAT far. Flies are pests that only live 24 hours anyway, so swat away. Roaches and rats are disease carrying vermin. Feel free to dispose of them at will :rolleyes:

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
voiceofreason said:
People abuse animals at every turn. Whether it's locking a dog in the house and not allowing it to piss for 9 hours a day, caging a bird so it can't do the one cool thing it was born to do, or making every meal they eat cause the suffering and death of some creature.

Mankind is the worst sort of "animal" there is...
Why so bright and chipper today?