WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, is your new home.

Annoying pop-up ads.

I got them with internet explorer, I am now getting them with firefox. Yes, I do have a pop-up blocker. But, even though I'm using firefox, the ads still use internet explorer. Quite annoying, really.

I was scanning for spyware once, and it found something called ClickSpring, which it wouldn't delete. Now when I scan, it doesn't pick that thing up anymore.

Any suggestions?

If you're getting pop ups from IE when you're using Firefox it's obviously spyware. Boot into safe mode and scan with Spybot and Adaware.

Failing that, Google HIjackthis, run it and post the log.
Spyware Doctor Activity Report
Generated on 27/07/2005 3:57:10 PM
Spyware Doctor Homepage PC Tools Homepage Technical Support
Scans (basic information only):
Scan Results:
scan start: 27/07/2005 3:57:20 PM
scan stop: 27/07/2005 4:04:56 PM
scanned items: 57308
found items: 22
found and ignored: 0
tools used: General Scanner, Process Scanner, Hosts scanner, LSP Scanner, Registry Scanner, Cookie Scanner, Browser Defaults, Favorites and ZoneMap Scanner, ActiveX Scanner, Disk Scanner

Infection Name Location Risk
Tracking Cookie(s) dykstra@adknowledge[1].txt Medium
Advertising dykstra@burstnet[1].txt Low
Common Components for GAIN dykstra@dist.belnk[2].txt Elevated
Tracking Cookie(s) dykstra@banner[1].txt Medium
Rogue Anti-Spyware Products dykstra@trk.pcsecurityshield[2].txt High
Specific911 Hijack dykstra@orbitz[2].txt High
Advertising dykstra@com[1].txt Low
Tracking Cookie(s) dykstra@free.wegcash[2].txt Medium
Rogue Anti-Spyware Products dykstra@www.pcsecurityshield[1].txt High
Tracking Cookie(s) dykstra@programs.wegcash[1].txt Medium
Specific911 Hijack dykstra@www.orbitz[2].txt High
Tracking Cookie(s) dykstra@www.burstbeacon[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) dykstra@indextools[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) dykstra@funtigo[1].txt Medium
Advertising dykstra@66693905[1].txt Low
Common Components for GAIN dykstra@belnk[1].txt Elevated
Tracking Cookie(s) dykstra@xiti[1].txt Medium
Common Components for ClickSpring Items HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{9EB320CE-BE1D-4304-A081-4B4665414BEF} Elevated
Common Components for ClickSpring Items HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{9EB320CE-BE1D-4304-A081-4B4665414BEF}\iexplore Elevated
YourSiteBar HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{42F2C9BA-614F-47C0-B3E3-ECFD34EED658} High
YourSiteBar HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{42F2C9BA-614F-47C0-B3E3-ECFD34EED658}\iexplore High
PurityScan C:\WINDOWS\system32\wcpsvit.exe Elevated

Other Sections:

Copyright © 2003-2005. Distributed by PC Tools. Legal Notice