WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Another amazing thread about Mikado!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I know. I talk a lot about Mikado. For over a year I've been telling you all about my Mikado adventures and all, but there's stil so many things I would like to share with you. You don't have to thank me. Its my passion, its my life.

:rotflmao:

Some background

Mikado is an ancient game, it problably came from asia where they played it with bamboo sticks.

But back then it wasnt called Mikado.

Mikado as we know it today comes from Hungary and was transported to the USA in 1936.

Mikado is an outdated term for: The Emperor of Japan.

Mikado is also an British/Japanese comic operetta.

The truth is that no one really knows where it comes from.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules

The classic Mikado game consists of 41 sticks.
They are coded with different values that have
a total of 170 points and are around 15 cm long.
name | traditional wood type | coding1 | coding 2 | value | number of the sticks

• Mikado, walnut, blue, 20 points, 1 stick
  • Mandarin, cherry, yellow/black, middle wide two narrow stripes on the ends, 10 points, 5 sticks
  • Bonzen (jap. bouzu), oak, orange, five stripes, 5 points, 5 sticks
  • Samurai, beech, green, three stripes, 3 points, 15 sticks
  • Kuli (chin. guli) / Worker, ash, red, two stripes, 2 points, 15 sticks
The sticks are bundled and taken in one hand that touches the table/ground. The release creates
a circulary jumble. Now one stick after another should be taken up without moving/touching others.
The take away could be by hand, possibly through pressing on a stick's tip or if already picked up
a special stick (Mikado/Mandarin) could be used as a helper, possibly to throw up another stick.
It is allowed to stand up on but not to leave the own place. A bad throw could be rerun and the rules
should be kept strict in repect to moving sticks to enjoy the game.
On a fault the turn ends (the last stick taken is not counted). The next player bundles and drops
the sticks again. After several rounds normally 5 the one with the highest score is the winner.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rule Variations
  • the starting player could be determined with a die
on a player's turn:
  • the sticks are rebundled and dropped
  • the stack is taken over from the previous player
allowed helpers:
  • only the Mikado if the player has at least one of all other sticks (Kuli, Samurai, Bonzen, Mandarin)
  • Mikado (traditional)
  • Mikado / Mandarin (simplified)
  • Mikado / Mandarin / Bonzen
the last stick taken when the stack moves:
  • added to the score
  • not added
  • not added and drop immediately (stack take over variant)
The exact sequence of Kuli, Samurai, Bonzen and Mandarin may double the points of a turn.
A player who does not use the correct helper may lose all points of the actual turn.
Normal Mikado
As described above. Its normally made out of 1 wood type like beech.
Sizes:
  • standard: length 17 cm, mm thick
  • large: length 28 cm, mm thick
  • super: length 50 cm, 8mm thick ( I own the Super Mikado :thumbsup: 41 sticks, FUCKING OWNED )
the large and super variants may use the 26 sticks Giant Mikado variant. ( 26 sticks is for losers :thumbsup: )

Mini Mikado
Made of 31 toothpicks painted in the middle.
The game has a total of 135 points. name / coding / value / number of the sticks:
  • Mikado, 1 blue stripe, 1 stick
  • Mandarin, 3 yellow stripes, 5 sticks
  • Bonzen, 2 orange stripes, 5 sticks
  • Samurai, 3 green stripes, 10 sticks
  • Kuli, 2 red stripes, 10 sticks
Rules and values are the same as with normal Mikado sticks.

Giant Mikado
This type is thought for outdoor use.
There are 26 sticks with a length of 93 cm and 10 mm diameter.
The game has a total of 200 points. name / value / number of the sticks:
  • Mikado, 50 points, 1 stick
  • Mandarin, 10 points, 5 sticks
  • Samurai, 5 points, 10 sticks
  • Kuli, 5 points, 10 sticks

Philosophy of Mikado

Its all about making choices.

The chaos of Mikado sticks represents your life. You know what you want, but you can't
just take it like that. You have to have a plan, you have to be calm and concentrated.
You have to set out a goal and make subgoals to get there.

You have to take your time, because when you fuck up one move it will affect all your
other, future moves. There's no way back.

And since you don't play the game alone, you have to be flexible. Remember, sometimes
you win, sometimes you lose.

Thats life.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Well I guess this proves one thing. No matter how well educated I am on the topic of Mikado. I still think it's as queer as a three dollar bill. :thumbsup:

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
johnny kuntz said:
Philosophy of Mikado

Its all about making choices.

The chaos of Mikado sticks represents your life. You know what you want, but you can't
just take it like that. You have to have a plan, you have to be calm and concentrated.
You have to set out a goal and make subgoals to get there.

You have to take your time, because when you fuck up one move it will affect all your
other, future moves. There's no way back.

And since you don't play the game alone, you have to be flexible. Remember, sometimes
you win, sometimes you lose.

Thats life.

whoa...johnny kuntz giving a valid and insightful analogy....

it really is a cold day in hell.

keebs

Particinator
MaxPower said:
Well I guess this proves one thing. No matter how well educated I am on the topic of Mikado. I still think it's as queer as a three dollar bill. :thumbsup:
:rofl: thank you for that Max, that made my day, and i love the refrence to a three dollar bill

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
Missing Rule:

I read through the rules and couldn't find out how many bong hits your have to take for dropping each color. I assume that's the only reason one would play this game, or just in case your Mail-order bride turns out to be a Hungarian/Mandarin fucking half priced end of the month dork sale item. Free shipping and handling.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
But Wait! There's More!

The Variants:

Mini Mikado
made of 31 toothpicks painted in the middle.
The game has a total of 135 points. name / coding / value / number of the sticks:
  • Mikado, 1 blue stripe, 1 stick
  • Mandarin, 3 yellow stripes, 5 sticks
  • Bonzen, 2 orange stripes, 5 sticks
  • Samurai, 3 green stripes, 10 sticks
  • Kuli, 2 red stripes, 10 sticks
Rules and values are the same as with normal Mikado sticks.

Giant Mikado
This type is thought for outdoor use. There are 26 sticks with a length of 93 cm and 10 mm diameter. The game has a total of 200 points. name / value / number of the sticks:
  • Mikado, 50 points, 1 stick
  • Mandarin, 10 points, 5 sticks
  • Samurai, 5 points, 10 sticks
  • Kuli, 5 points, 10 sticks
Rules and markings are the same as with normal Mikado sticks. The play is more enjoyable on a plane and fixed ground.

Monster Mikado
This was a project [1] (http://www.claas.com/uk/aktuell/vision/vision02/mikado.html) by "Werner Holz" to create the largest pickup sticks game. 41 eight meter long tree trunks were used instead of sticks and weighed around 3.5 tons. The Guinness Book of Records includes a record about 5 meter long sticks.

self made Mikado
you'll need:
  • round bars of beech or pine wood
  • colours: red, green, orange, yellow, black, blue
  • sticky tape
  • ev pencil-sharpener

Now let's get out there and Mikado! Mikado! Mikado!

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
This game made me cry in elementary school.
We played for punches because we thought it would be manly.
*right.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
everything sucks, eh geht? :rolleyes:

here's an avatar just for you, sweetie; wear it with pride, biatch! :thumbsup:

/me enrolls in a local mikado tournament :rotflmao:

LiberatioN said:
everything sucks, eh geht? :rolleyes:

here's an avatar just for you, sweetie; wear it with pride, biatch! :thumbsup:

/me enrolls in a local mikado tournament :rotflmao:
this thread sucks :happysad:

mmm...cheese

Banned - What an Asshat!
MaxPower said:
There are actually 3 dollar bills as well as 4 dollar bills.. . They are just to rare for me to get into my collection...

Status
Not open for further replies.