WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Another generic operating system poll

Operating System?

• Total voters

ArrowHate

Banned - What an Asshat!
discuss

I use Windows XP for gaming, Suse for anything else, and Knoppix when Windows blows over.

Descent

Hella Constipated
ArrowHate said:
discuss

I use Windows XP for gaming, Suse for anything else, and Knoppix when Windows blows over.
I use 2000 Pro, soon to be Server 2003 for my gaming machine, and I'm picky about DOS gaming machines because they need to run Descent, which has no framecapping. Therefore, I can go no higher than a P-166 or the game will be too fast. Judging by your PyroGX assault craft avatar ArrowHate, you would no what I'm talking about. So I usually run a Windows 98 Lite install, but lately I want to go back to a PC-DOS 7.0/Windows 3.1 install to emulate my childhood. <3 Nostalgia.

Jung

???
Premium
Jesus, would you stop flaming already? Neither of you are exactly noobs, so stfu already. :rolleyes:

XP for gaming.
Debian for everything else at home.
Mac OSX 10.4 Tiger on the Power Book.
Knoppix hard disk install for MythTV.
FreeBSD, Solaris and Server 2003 at work.

ArrowHate

Banned - What an Asshat!
Descent said:
I'm picky about DOS gaming machines because they need to run Descent, which has no framecapping. Therefore, I can go no higher than a P-166 or the game will be too fast. Judging by your PyroGX assault craft avatar ArrowHate, you would no what I'm talking about.
I played Descent 1 on a Mac system when I was younger. It wasn't that fast.
Then, I had Descent 2 on Windows 98, with a pretty damn good 'puter, and it ran pretty fine. I have Descent 3 on this one and it runs PERFECT.

AND I played Descent Freespace, and the demo of freespace 2.

So you could say I'm a casual Descent player.

And isn't it a Pyro GL? I thought the GX was from Descent 3.

Descent

Hella Constipated
ArrowHate said:
I played Descent 1 on a Mac system when I was younger. It wasn't that fast.
Then, I had Descent 2 on Windows 98, with a pretty damn good 'puter, and it ran pretty fine. I have Descent 3 on this one and it runs PERFECT.

AND I played Descent Freespace, and the demo of freespace 2.

So you could say I'm a casual Descent player.

And isn't it a Pyro GL? I thought the GX was from Descent 3.
The GX is the "classic" craft - the GL is Descent 3's "souped up" version. The gay-ass one with the visor like cockpit that I hate.

BTW - I have FS1 and a full copy of FS2. Much superior to Star Wars, hell, the acting is a mile better. It's a shame Interplay had to fuck it up and run Volition, Outrage, and Black Isle Studios into the ground. And then they have the fucking nerve not to sell the rights to FreeSpace back to Volition, so they could make a cheap buck and release a $100 1,000 pressing limited edition in February '04 to make a cheap $100,000 to bolster their faltering finances.

Their French division has gone under, so just cross your fingers and wait. We MAY see Descent 4 and FS3, and although FS3 has been confirmed by Volition in terms of "making it," Outrage shows no interest in Descent anymore. Shit.

ArrowHate

Banned - What an Asshat!
Descent said:
The GX is the "classic" craft - the GL is Descent 3's "souped up" version. The gay-ass one with the visor like cockpit that I hate.
Yeah. The GX cockpit kicked ass, although the GL's cockpit had a nice rain effect and opening/closing animation. I wonder if the D3 Black Pyro (the old GX) has the same cockpit from D2?

Descent said:
BTW - I have FS1 and a full copy of FS2. Much superior to Star Wars, hell, the acting is a mile better.
Now Star Wars was good in it's own way - they didn't need great acting.
I personally liked FS2 better. Huge lasers rock

Descent said:
It's a shame Interplay had to fuck it up and run Volition, Outrage, and Black Isle Studios into the ground. And then they have the fucking nerve not to sell the rights to FreeSpace back to Volition, so they could make a cheap buck and release a $100 1,000 pressing limited edition in February '04 to make a cheap $100,000 to bolster their faltering finances.
Their French division has gone under, so just cross your fingers and wait. We MAY see Descent 4 and FS3, and although FS3 has been confirmed by Volition in terms of "making it," Outrage shows no interest in Descent anymore. Shit.
Well, I liked Freespace better because of the freedom, y'know? You could go anywhere you like. Too bad it's not that original.

ArrowHate

Banned - What an Asshat!
and about Descent running too fast, I can still play it on my 1.4 ghz P4 with a nVIDIA Geforce FX 5500 card. It's a solid 60 FPS.

Descent

Hella Constipated
ArrowHate said:
and about Descent running too fast, I can still play it on my 1.4 ghz P4 with a nVIDIA Geforce FX 5500 card. It's a solid 60 FPS.
Using D1X? Or the 3Dfx Glide version? I personally use the latter. I use Zeckensack's Glide Wrapper to emulate a 3Dfx card, but it's starting to get pissy with Descent, especially when I try to exit the mine and nothing happens - which is engine based, because I used to make maps and I know how it works. I'm personally about to invest in a Voodoo board.

ArrowHate said:
Well, I liked Freespace better because of the freedom, y'know? You could go anywhere you like. Too bad it's not that original.
I disagree - it's more sim like as opposed to StarFox or Wing Commander. I also love the fact that I still cry at some points in the series.

BTW - The demo of FS2 sucks balls compared to the full version.

ArrowHate

Banned - What an Asshat!
Descent said:
Using D1X? Or the 3Dfx Glide version? I personally use the latter. I use Zeckensack's Glide Wrapper to emulate a 3Dfx card, but it's starting to get pissy with Descent, especially when I try to exit the mine and nothing happens - which is engine based, because I used to make maps and I know how it works. I'm personally about to invest in a Voodoo board.
3Dfx.

descent said:
I disagree - it's more sim like as opposed to StarFox or Wing Commander. I also love the fact that I still cry at some points in the series.

BTW - The demo of FS2 sucks balls compared to the full version.
I haven't had a chance to buy it yet - I'm only 13, and I make the money for everything I own (except the computer, of course.)

Descent

Hella Constipated
ArrowHate said:
I haven't had a chance to buy it yet - I'm only 13, and I make the money for everything I own (except the computer, of course.)
I'm 16...going on 17. I played Descent when it first came out. I was six.

Now let's all geht back on topic.

ArrowHate

Banned - What an Asshat!
Descent said:
I'm 16...going on 17. I played Descent when it first came out. I was six.

Now let's all geht back on topic.
I played Descent on the Mac in my 4th grade class. Everyone else must have been jackasses. They all played on the lowest level, used cheats, and couldnt even strafe.

I used the Hotshot difficulty, could strafe, and only used cheats if I was absolutely stuck.