WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Anti-Malware / Rootkit / Exploits / Etc.

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
Hey,

So I just built a new PC for myself, and I'm updating some software I use...

What security/privacy tools do you guys use for everything other than anti-virus?

• 1UP!
Reactions: ThisIsBananas

ThisIsBananas

Silly Face!
I have a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 10 laptop. I just use Windows Defender on both and never had any problems.

The laptop also had MalwareBytes on it, but I deleted it because it kept popping shit up when I was playing games.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: MaxPower

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
The best anti-shit is a well aware user, you know.
I feel not the need of those kind of software because I'm not into warez and shit anymore so I hardly download potentially dangerous files.

Reactions: CoprophagousCop

ThisIsBananas

Silly Face!
I feel not the need of those kind of software because I'm not into warez and shit anymore so I hardly download potentially dangerous files.
When I pirated games when I was younger, I don't remember getting any viruses. People also claim to have gotten viruses from advertisements and flash applications, but I've never gotten any either.

I've read that people that pirated games eventually realized they came with keyloggers and mining programs automatically running for other people. I've never experienced this because I haven't pirated games in 10 years.

Jung

???
Premium
Never got a virus this way. A lot of time you'd have to disable your scanner to run the patcher because you'd get false positives from heuristics.

• WTF!?

CoprophagousCop

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Premium
I do not store my private/important data on my computer's hard drive. (After all, my data seems to outlive my computers these days.)

I have my modem plugged into its own power strip so I can turn it on and off when I want.

I run software that restores my hard drive every time I reboot. (When will this be done with hardware?)

If web browsers did not contain loopholes, that is, the ability to run third party machine code, we would not have to worry about getting viruses unless we purposely run machine code that we purposely download. (See -=iNsANe=-ADJ's comment.) If we want our web browsers to play videos, take screenshots, ... that functionality should be built into the web browser itself.

• Face Palm

ThisIsBananas

Silly Face!
Yeah, I don't want the entire internet controlled by browser creators. If somebody wants to create something on the internet, they shouldn't need the browser developer's permission and assistance to make it.

I also don't want my hard drive restored every time I reboot. Don't want to lose recently saved data.

• Face Palm

CoprophagousCop

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Premium
I don't think it's really feasible to keep up-to-date codecs in the core browser, or account for all that are out there. There's always some trade off when you open up api to 3rd parties.
The codecs could be written in a high level language and compiled by the web browser. Instructions that could potentially mess with someone's computer would not be supported. This would also have the advantage of not having to have separate codecs for the various processors.

Yeah, I don't want the entire internet controlled by browser creators. If somebody wants to create something on the internet, they shouldn't need the browser developer's permission and assistance to make it.
The web browsers would only control what gets run automatically. If you want to run a third party application, you can always download it and run it from outside of the browser.

I also don't want my hard drive restored every time I reboot. Don't want to lose recently saved data.
That is why I save my data to external drives. I can connect them just before I want to save something and disconnect them once the save is complete.

That's more paranoia than Mr. Robot
Who? A couple of times I was browsing the web and a window popped up with a human voice (once male, once female) saying that my computer had been compromised and that I should call a 1-800 number and not turn off my computer. This window prevented me from doing anything else. I honestly could not tell if this was part of Windows 8 or if it was malware. Fortunately, all I had to do was power my machine off and on again. Problem solved.

Also, for a while certain videos linked from msn.com would turn the video playback to a solid green rectangle. Even after I closed the web browser and went to different websites, the videos would all appear as solid green. I do not know what caused this, but I knew how to fix it. :)

Also, I am able to test out software before I decide to permanently install it. If I feel a little uncertain about some software, I can download and save the installation program. Then I can install the software temporarily went I want to use it. (I knew a guy who would play free, limited use time, demo versions of games over and over again. Rebooting the computer wiped out whatever the games were storing on the computer to prevent them from being played again.)

Also, my computer does not get full of a bunch of worthless cookies. For example, every time I watch a video someone posts on this site and then later I go to Youtube, Youtube suggests videos related to the one I watched here. I do not want to see these disturbing video suggestions every time I go to Youtube.

Also, I can leave a mess of temporary files around and they automatically get cleaned up. :thumbsup:

ThisIsBananas

Silly Face!
The web browsers would only control what gets run automatically. If you want to run a third party application, you can always download it and run it from outside of the browser.
That could still get tracked.

That is why I save my data to external drives. I can connect them just before I want to save something and disconnect them once the save is complete.
Things could still get tracked in the external drives. When you download something, it could still have spyware and keyloggers and shit included. It doesn't have to be in the browser itself to track you.

Scooter

Roll me up and smoke me when I die.
A couple of times I was browsing the web and a window popped up with a human voice (once male, once female) saying that my computer had been compromised and that I should call a 1-800 number and not turn off my computer. This window prevented me from doing anything else. I honestly could not tell if this was part of Windows 8 or if it was malware. Fortunately, all I had to do was power my machine off and on again. Problem solved.
I like to listen to CBS Sports Radio but the AM radio reception where I live is terrible, so I listen to it on the internet. CBS Sports streams through radio.com and that's exactly what happens. I have Windows 10. Ctrl+Alt+Delete and then Shut Down using the keyboard is what I did. Something is fucked up there. I tried to do a search to see if I could find something about radio.com but came up empty handed.

The local AM station streams through their site but it shuts off from time to time. If some little radio station can stream through their website, why can't CBS Sports Radio stream through their site instead of through radio.com?

Does anyone else use radio.com and have issues with it?

• Helpful
Reactions: Crazizniac

ThisIsBananas

Silly Face!
Who? A couple of times I was browsing the web and a window popped up with a human voice (once male, once female) saying that my computer had been compromised and that I should call a 1-800 number and not turn off my computer. This window prevented me from doing anything else. I honestly could not tell if this was part of Windows 8 or if it was malware. Fortunately, all I had to do was power my machine off and on again. Problem solved.
I've accidentally gone to websites that have done this when I was using Windows 10. They prevented me from leaving by popping up a message every time I tried to leave. I think it was Chrome that gives the option to disable pop ups if they keep quickly popping up, so I was able to leave without having to restart my computer.

Does anyone else use radio.com and have issues with it?
Never heard of it.

Jung

???
Premium
The codecs could be written in a high level language and compiled by the web browser. Instructions that could potentially mess with someone's computer would not be supported. This would also have the advantage of not having to have separate codecs for the various processors.
I prefer the unix philosophy of picking one job and doing it well. There's no reason to bloat a browsers with plugins.

• Face Palm

ThisIsBananas

Silly Face!
I prefer the unix philosophy of picking one job and doing it well. There's no reason to bloat a browsers with plugins.

I prefer my browser having more features, and being able to add more with plugins and extensions.

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
that's a phishing javascript, it trends more on phones. It need to be clicked in order to get to the phising site. So, no worry.

Also, for a while certain videos linked from msn.com would turn the video playback to a solid green rectangle. Even after I closed the web browser and went to different websites, the videos would all appear as solid green. I do not know what caused this, but I knew how to fix it. :)
codec-fuckup, just reboot

Also, I am able to test out software before I decide to permanently install it. If I feel a little uncertain about some software, I can download and save the installation program. Then I can install the software temporarily went I want to use it. (I knew a guy who would play free, limited use time, demo versions of games over and over again. Rebooting the computer wiped out whatever the games were storing on the computer to prevent them from being played again.)
virtual machine?

Also, my computer does not get full of a bunch of worthless cookies. For example, every time I watch a video someone posts on this site and then later I go to Youtube, Youtube suggests videos related to the one I watched here. I do not want to see these disturbing video suggestions every time I go to Youtube.

Also, I can leave a mess of temporary files around and they automatically get cleaned up. :thumbsup:
always incognito mode&ccleaner :D

anyway, do whatever you want

Bacon

Fresh Meat
Hey,

So I just built a new PC for myself, and I'm updating some software I use...

What security/privacy tools do you guys use for everything other than anti-virus?
If your going to use windows 10 there is antivirus within the operating system. If you want to something different I'd suggest bit defender there is free version and it's light wight and doesn't weight down the operating system when it does virus scan.