WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Anti-Virus software

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
So, what anti-virus software are you using and why?

I just got a new system and didn't want to load it down with McAfee and IMO Norton just plain old sucks. I also didn't want a package deal since I already have a good firewall and spyware software that I'm perfectly happy with so I did a little research and am now running a trial version of AVG.

It's quick, doesn't bog down loading of web pages, got good reviews for stopping viruses and is just anti-virus software. I'm liking it and am pretty sure that when the trial version runs out I'm going to go ahead and buy it.

tzedek

Original Member
I dont use any. Im ballin out of control. Im going to pick up kaspersky sometime though

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
tzedek said:
I dont use any. Im ballin out of control. Im going to pick up kaspersky sometime though

Lots of free anti-virus software out there that performs well. No reason why you shouldn't have something on your machine and a whole lot of reasons why you should.

AVG has a free version that you can get here

tzedek

Original Member
countrygrl said:
Lots of free anti-virus software out there that performs well. No reason why you shouldn't have something on your machine and a whole lot of reasons why you should.

nah, im ballin out of control. Im living life on the wildside

Jung

???
Premium
countrygrl said:

I've never seen a free anti virus software that was worth a damn. Quite the contrary; I've cleaned many a person's computer when AVG or the like failed to do their job. You definitely get what you pay for, and when it comes to security I'm not going to rely of freebies.

In my experience Kaspersky is the best, followed by NOD32, then Symantec Corporate.

I don't run any anti virus software on my Linux box of Mac though. <3

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
I've seen too much get by Norton to consider it to be good antivirus software. Often their dat file updates are a day late and a dollar short. When I LUV YOU hit people running norton with updated dat files got hit pretty hard and the software didn't do half of what it needed to clean it up. McAfee was on the ball pretty good. Releasing updated data files as fast as you could expect as the virus mutated. McAfee cleaned up a lot better than Norton did too although for some reason once a machine got hit by I LUV YOU it never seemed to be right again even with a complete format of the hard drive.

The reviews that I read on AVG pro said that it caught more virii than Norton. I didn't read about the free version of it because I can't use it anyway.

Avast has good reviews for detecting, elimnating and cleaning up viruses. I'm not saying that it's the best because I don't know but I would rather see somebody running a not so good antivirus program that none at all. They should at least catch any of the older viruses out there floating around.

Not much choice in av software for Linux and even less choice for getting rid of it once you get one on a Linux box. From my experience, the nasties on Linux won't take it all the way down though. They just make it extremely unpleasant to try to do anything on the machine that is infected.

I had an employer who had extremely poor security habits that allowed his Linux server to be hacked into and a whole heap load of viruses to be placed on it. It served it purpose fine as long as you didn't have to boot it. That's all I'm going to say about that because it could lead to a very long, loud rant and I'm sober right now. ;)

Jung

???
Premium
countrygrl said:
I've seen too much get by Norton to consider it to be good antivirus software.
Symantec corporate != Norton!
McAfee was on the ball pretty good.
Imo, and from experience, McAfee has always been a huge piece of shit.
although for some reason once a machine got hit by I LUV YOU it never seemed to be right again even with a complete format of the hard drive.
That seems highly unlikely. Placebo?
The reviews that I read on AVG pro said that it caught more virii than Norton. I didn't read about the free version of it because I can't use it anyway.
Admittedly Norton isn't the best, but AVG is far from top of the line. Reviews vary a lot though. The two I listed consistently detect more virii in _in the wild_ than any others though.
Not much choice in av software for Linux and even less choice for getting rid of it once you get one on a Linux box.
There are quite a few good anti virus programs for *nix, but they're not needed. There have only been less than a handful of viruses for *nix in it's entire existence, and even then they did little or no damage at all. I've used Unix and Linux for over 10 years, and never once used an anti virus application - I've never had a problem either.

The same would apply to any Mac running OSX, as it's BSD.
From my experience, the nasties on Linux won't take it all the way down though. They just make it extremely unpleasant to try to do anything on the machine that is infected.
By design, *nix is extremely secure. Even if you did contract a virus it'd only wipe out your /home directory, as it' wouldn't have permissions or ownership to anything else.
Linux server to be hacked into and a whole heap load of viruses to be placed on it.
Must've been a shitty hacker, all the *nix viruses I can think of are obsolete, and haven't been seen in years.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
countrygrl said:
I've seen too much get by Norton to consider it to be good antivirus software. Often their dat file updates are a day late and a dollar short. When I LUV YOU hit people running norton with updated dat files got hit pretty hard and the software didn't do half of what it needed to clean it up. McAfee was on the ball pretty good. Releasing updated data files as fast as you could expect as the virus mutated. McAfee cleaned up a lot better than Norton did too although for some reason once a machine got hit by I LUV YOU it never seemed to be right again even with a complete format of the hard drive.

Avast has good reviews for detecting, elimnating and cleaning up viruses. I'm not saying that it's the best because I don't know but I would rather see somebody running a not so good antivirus program that none at all. They should at least catch any of the older viruses out there floating around.

Not much choice in av software for Linux and even less choice for getting rid of it once you get one on a Linux box. From my experience, the nasties on Linux won't take it all the way down though. They just make it extremely unpleasant to try to do anything on the machine that is infected.

I had an employer who had extremely poor security habits that allowed his Linux server to be hacked into and a whole heap load of viruses to be placed on it. It served it purpose fine as long as you didn't have to boot it. That's all I'm going to say about that because it could lead to a very long, loud rant and I'm sober right now. ;)

I use AVG 7.0 on all my servers and network edition on all my workstations. AVG r0x0r

Jung

???
Premium
MaxPower said:
I use AVG 7.0 on all my servers and network edition on all my workstations. AVG r0x0r
Hmm... i never knew. We still use Symantec Corp. ( :rolleyes: )

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
I use Nav 2005 and have never run into a problem...

Descent

Hella Constipated
Max said:
AVG rocks cocks, IMO. The overhead is non-existant, which is perfect for my shitty little laptop (IBM 600E, P2-366, 160RAM, Neomagic 256AV "3D" graphics).

I want to kidnap the Neomagic driver team, and store them in my basement. There, they can actually write some D3D HAL code that works!

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
This is good stuff. Sounds as though I'm not alone in my new found respect for AVG.

Easty

Click click boom
for spyware removal i use Ad-Aware SE and every so often I get a full system scan at Panda Software.

bnccoder

Postaholic
Trend Micro is by far the best anti-virus that I've seen. It updates every couple of hours normally and has a fully customizable firewall. I never caught a virus when I used it. You do need to have a high speed connection for it beacuse the deffiniton updates are about 5MB each.