WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Anyone else here notice this interesting phenomena?

Descent

Hella Constipated
You know, when you wake up, a song you've heard before plays 200% faster?

Does it happen to you?

Descent said:

Does it happen to you?
Yeah, sometimes. Ever notice certain radio stations increase the speed of the music in some songs they play? Then when you hear the song again, at it's normal speed, it sounds super-slow by comparison?

Descent said:

Does it happen to you?
I have no clue WTF you are talking about.

WaFfLeS

Banned - What an Asshat!
I see, the radio increases the speed of songs?

So when you listen to it on the radio, and then on a CD, the CD sounds slower.

Never noticed that.

WaFfLeS said:
I see, the radio increases the speed of songs?
Yeah. Usually on those teeny-bopper KISS type stations on their bullshit "club night" broadcasts. :thumbsdn:

zoloftcasserole said:
Yeah. Usually on those teeny-bopper KISS type stations on their bullshit "club night" broadcasts. :thumbsdn:
Hold up, those are remixes. I thought he was talking about, just speeding up the songs. :confuse: Most of the club-night broadcasts do a little more than that. At least, that's my understanding of it.

Taylor_Blade said:
Hold up, those are remixes. I thought he was talking about, just speeding up the songs. :confuse:
Yeah, he is. I'm talking about something different though.

Bitch

Evil Fluffy says: I PEE IN YOUR SHOES!
Premium
I think stations do that so they are able to get either more advertising in their time slots and make more money or fit more music into their time slots...maybe they get paid more?

Bitch said:
I think stations do that so they are able to get either more advertising in their time slots and make more money or fit more music into their time slots...maybe they get paid more?
That's exactly what it is. More money from advertisers, while still playing the same amount of music.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Taylor_Blade said:
That's exactly what it is. More money from advertisers, while still playing the same amount of music.
Actually, they get more music in the same amount of time. That way they can make the claims "We play 5 songs between 3 commercials!" or "We play more music than the other guys"

Descent

Hella Constipated
What the fuck?

Dumbasses. I mean if you play a song after you wake up, it sounds 200% faster than later in the day.

Descent said:
What the fuck?

Dumbasses. I mean if you play a song after you wake up, it sounds 200% faster than later in the day.
Yeah, we get it. Hence the reason I replied "yeah, sometimes" and Taylor said he had no clue WTF you are talking about. Apparently most of us either haven't experienced what you're describing, or haven't experienced it enough to give a shit, so we're talking about something else. I wasn't trying to hijack your thread.

UberSkippy said:
Actually, they get more music in the same amount of time. That way they can make the claims "We play 5 songs between 3 commercials!" or "We play more music than the other guys"
That is also true, but make no mistake. They get more money, as well. It's a business, and like any other, they seek the dollar sign.

zoloftcasserole said:
YES we get it. Hence the reason I replied "yeah, sometimes" and Taylor said he had no clue WTF you are talking about. Most of us either haven't experienced what you're describing, or haven't experienced it enough to give a shit, so we're talking about something else.
Exactly.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
UberSkippy said:
Thats why i like a local station where i live. 94.3 wcyy plays you guessed it 94 min. of commercail free music.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Taylor_Blade said:
That is also true, but make no mistake. They get more money, as well. It's a business, and like any other, they seek the dollar sign.
That's HOW they make more money. The make these claims to get more listeners. More listeners at any given hour means higher ratings. Higher ratings means more customers that want add time. More customers wanting add time means a higher bill rate for the add time.

Here's a fun fact, at a job fair I was talking to one of the local DJ's. They had an afternoon spot open. So I start asking what kind of pay an afternoon DJ at a radio station could expect. His responce was 40-50k a year. Morning DJ's can make upwards of 100+.

Now that's in Boise Idaho at one of the top 4 radio stations in the FM market here. The average coverage for major stations in this area reaches maybe three quarters of a million potential listeners at any given time. (I'm basing that on the local population and the distance these stations broadcast so I could be off but I doubt by much.)

UberSkippy said:
Here's a fun fact, at a job fair I was talking to one of the local DJ's. They had an afternoon spot open. So I start asking what kind of pay an afternoon DJ at a radio station could expect. His responce was 40-50k a year. Morning DJ's can make upwards of 100+.
That is way more money, than I was expecting them to make. Interesting.

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
That's HOW they make more money. The make these claims to get more listeners. More listeners at any given hour means higher ratings. Higher ratings means more customers that want add time. More customers wanting add time means a higher bill rate for the add time.

Now that's in Boise Idaho at one of the top 4 radio stations in the FM market here. The average coverage for major stations in this area reaches maybe three quarters of a million potential listeners at any given time. (I'm basing that on the local population and the distance these stations broadcast so I could be off but I doubt by much.)
On Long Island the pay is ever larger I believe. TCO of living here is through the fuckin' roof. My district pays teachers second highest in the state and is the third best rated the state. A teacher with tenure frequently makes around $120K.