WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Anyone have issues with XP x64?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Yeah I know it's a strange question but I'm gonna ask anyway.

Has anyone played with Windows XP x64 edition? If so did you notice any problems with it hanging during a reboot?

I got a box at work that reboots fine when running 32 bit XP but with x64 RC2 it starts a reboot and then just hangs. Which sucks since I need it to reboot about 6 times a day without my having to fuck with the power button.

I haven't been able to find any documentation for this which means pretty much nothing since the tards in Redmond won't document shit like this anyway. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it.

Jung

???
Premium
UberSkippy said:
Yeah I know it's a strange question but I'm gonna ask anyway.

Has anyone played with Windows XP x64 edition? If so did you notice any problems with it hanging during a reboot?

I got a box at work that reboots fine when running 32 bit XP but with x64 RC2 it starts a reboot and then just hangs. Which sucks since I need it to reboot about 6 times a day without my having to fuck with the power button.

I haven't been able to find any documentation for this which means pretty much nothing since the tards in Redmond won't document shit like this anyway.
You do understand that it's a public beta, right? Right now, there's almost no added benefit from running the 64 bit version of XP. It's still in beta, it's bound to be buggy and has little or no documentation. It isn't exactly the best choice for a work environment. Not to mention that most applications won't benefit from the 64 bit OS anyway.

I'm just curious as to why you'd want to run a beta operating system at work?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I'm a test development engineer. I usually play with shit before it even goes to beta.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Actually figured this one out. x64 edition of XP RC2 has problems when you load the Chinese and Arabic character fonts. Just don't like em very well apparently.

Jung

???
Premium
UberSkippy said:
I'm a test development engineer. I usually play with shit before it even goes to beta.
What exactly does a test development engineer do? I've never heard that term before.

We/I have MSDN accounts as well, but I always steer clear from beta products; I can see absolutely no reason to use them in a work environment.

That said, glad to see you resolved your problem.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Basically I take product in early development stages, read all the specs and then figure out how to break them.

The difference between me and a regular test engineer is that I usually work with the development team from the very beginning. I mainly get to piss the developers off from day 1 instead of at the very end.

I mainly work with higher end laser printers although I did spend a couple of years working with storage arrays. We had a nice MP3 server for a while until the RIAA asked us to turn it off. :mfinger:

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
UberSkippy said:
I mainly work with higher end laser printers although I did spend a couple of years working with storage arrays. We had a nice MP3 server for a while until the RIAA asked us to turn it off. :mfinger:
h4ck 7h3 p|4n37!

So, you break high-end laser printers? And shower your co-workers with toxic laser printer ink-crap?

Aren't you going to get laserprintertestengineers-lungs from inhaling too many toxic substances?

:confused:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Nah, we don't usually actually break them unless it's drop testing.

More like "What would happen if I tell the printer it's card stock (hot fuser) and feed it transparency instead?" (that did set a printer on fire once)