WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

AOL = America On Line?

Missohwhatever

Blah, blah, blah
RANT

It may be there are Americans using AOL as their ISP but WTF is up w/ the India taking jobs from US? You can not get an American EVER to answer Member Servics, Tech Support, ....ANYTHING!

Come to think of it, they don't even know HOW to answer your questions. I have YET to get a straight forward solution to a problem from them.

It's not like they have superior intellect, only the ability to work for less than Americans. Don't flame! I am not a hater. Just observant and frustrated!

RAVE:

I found a hole in their system and have not paid for (shitty albeit)IS for 7 mos! :yikes:

Descent

Hella Constipated
That's pretty damn cool...the hole in AOL...

Anyway, India can kiss my ass...it's partly the Bush Administration's fault, for letting the economy going into the crapper.

GottaHurt

Sexual Deviant
jstager said:
Anyway, India can kiss my ass...it's partly the Bush Administration's fault, for letting the economy going into the crapper.
How is this Bush's fault?

If you're a businessman, whether it be a small business, or a large corporation, would you rather pay someone $5 an hour, or $15 an hour to do the same job?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Now that I think about it a little more, it's the saturation of the PC market that has made tech support go overseas.

I retract my statement. Sorry. I should think a little more before I post...I just got owned.

Companies like HP, Dell, Compaq, and Gateway are in this whole price war, and sell a machines for $100-200 less than it could be sold. By upping the price, you can up service. However, the consumer is cheap, and never does their research. Thus, people just go Dell, mainly due to the "great" advertising.

Here is the fix for the consumer: Buy your PC from a mom and pop store. You will get great service, and better quality parts.

Personally, I love how cheap everything is these days with computers, because when you are an unemployed teenager, it's really good to be able to get stuff so cheap. I find it really neat how you can pick up a graphics card that cost $400 back in 2001, such as a Geforce 3 or a Radeon 8500, and buy it today for $50. Life is good. Now if only memory would get cheaper...

I would rather pay someone $15 an hour and get it done right, so that I could attract repeat customers. You would end up making more money that way.

Pachyderm

I really did.
I see that you have posted your first post, I did that once too..I see that you have braces, I have braces too. Anyway, AOL sucks, and so do you, but welcome to the site, and I hope you post some good stuff. :mfinger:

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
jstager said:
That's pretty damn cool...the hole in AOL...

Not entirely true. The cheap ass companies like Gateway and AOL were the first to use outsource technology assistance. Then, because there are cheap ass consumers who would bitch about a computer or service being slightly more, the good and stable companies had to outsource to compete.

Point being, if you are not willing to pay more for the best in service, dont bitch when you get shitty accents reading from a script.

GottaHurt

Sexual Deviant
jstager said:
I would rather pay someone $15 an hour and get it done right, so that I could attract repeat customers. You would end up making more money that way.
Just because you pay someone more, doesn't mean you get a better product, or even better results. Ask any mid-level mgr his/her thoughts on their boss' performance and/or ability.

The "Big 3" automakers learned this lesson the hard way from the mid 70's up until the late 90's. They were paying workers $15 an hour to screw 4 lugnuts onto a rim, while their Asian counterpaqrts were only paying $5 an hour for the same worker to do the same job. Honda, Toyota, Mazda and Nissan sure have eaten up a huge share of the market, and I'd say their products are anything but inferior.

Hmmmm, didn't Michael Moore make a "documentary" called Roger & Me on this very subject, a GM plant closure in Flint, Michigan?

The world is a changing place, it is now a world market, and more "American jobs" will be lost until the American worker can educate themselves and learn how to replay the game.The rest of the world has caught up to us, and will continue to surpass us, because the working middle class in this country has become passive and content with the old school way of thinking.

No longer can people in this country expect to follow in Mom & Dad's footsteps down at the local factory, manufacturing jobs are more cost effective in oversees plants than they are here, that is not out governments fault, that is the responsibilty of the individual.Adaptabilty, flexibilty and education are the keys to success, not looking to the government to hinder trade in order to provide jobs to the outdated ways we've grown comfortable with.

The Asian continent has already taught us a hard lesson, it's time we adapted some of their ways of thinking and doing business, and perhaps we will once again, be able to compete in the world market.

Missohwhatever said:
RANT

It may be there are Americans using AOL as their ISP but WTF is up w/ the India taking jobs from US? You can not get an American EVER to answer Member Servics, Tech Support, ....ANYTHING!

Come to think of it, they don't even know HOW to answer your questions. I have YET to get a straight forward solution to a problem from them.

It's not like they have superior intellect, only the ability to work for less than Americans. Don't flame! I am not a hater. Just observant and frustrated!

RAVE:

I found a hole in their system and have not paid for (shitty albeit)IS for 7 mos!
i didnt even read that whole mess. that burned my eyes!

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
maybe thats why aol has the system check that fixes ur puter now, im guessing that with that they cut their support in half

Missohwhatever

Blah, blah, blah
deus_ex_machina said:
i didnt even read that whole mess. that burned my eyes!
Well you were right! I changed the color in the original post but could YOU now doing something about that color --- it's burning MY eyes! :cool:

Missohwhatever

Blah, blah, blah
The_DEA said:
maybe thats why aol has the system check that fixes ur puter now, im guessing that with that they cut their support in half
Not really it is only AOL's way of getting more embedded in to your OS and registry. It is so bad now that it is hard to get the S^^t off your registry to use a new ISP. You have to call them and have them walk you through the steps. And of course they NEVER F'ing know WTF they are talking about! I either hang up on them and then get a email asking me to review CSR XYZ service. I am like, "TEACH THEM HOW TO FIX THE NEEDS YOUR CUSTOMERS HAVE! How about that?" Nah, I can't say that because there is no provided space to do it in their lame ass questionaire. OMG WTF?

I am getting ready to take a higher seat and get a new ISP, even if it were free forever AOL is GAY!

;)

Toodles!

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
$5/hr or $15/ hr. The tech support you get from overseas companies is far inferior to what we were getting from or vendors here a year or two ago. That is a fact, not an opinion. I deal with Tech support for many vendor's products every day, and I have seen a steady downward slope in quality and know-how, as the sound of foreign accents rose. Not to say they have inferior intellects, only to say that they don't have the knowledge of the products that they support, that they should have. Nor do they have as much of a stake in the outcome of any individual trouble ticket.

When I did End-User Tech support for Cybex, All of our techs were chosen from staff that had previously built, installed, or in some other way had to do with the manufacturing or use of the product. This has long been a common practice in America. We just can’t expect the same level of quality from our counterparts overseas in this type of service. To say we do is just naive.
Yes they do it cheaper, but as of now, not better or even adequately.

Descent

Hella Constipated
MaxPower said:
Yes they do it cheaper, but as of now, not better or even adequately
They will never do it accurately. They get paid like royalty in India, they get $6000 a year. It costs less than $100 a year to live there. They have all this leftover money, and are able to buy whatever they want. Outsourced techs don't need to know as much, all they need to do is pass the couses on how to speak English successfully and BOOM, there you go, you got the job. They give them a one month seminar on what to know about the product, then they put them on the phones. The system is flawed, it does not work fully.

mariusthegreat

:: What Ebonics ::
jstager said:
give them a one month seminar on what to know about the product, then they put them on the phones. The system is flawed, it does not work fully.
where exactly are you getting this information from??? just wondering

Descent

Hella Constipated
I saw a special on it on TechTV a while back...ever since they became G4TechTV, they really don't show anything informative anymore...It's mainly time filler shows now.

I miss the old TechTV. (Weeps)

User_Name

The Ultimate Asshole
It's really the Clinton admin's fault for getting rid of the tax on hiring people overseas. Before they did that, it was really hard to hire 3rd world children, but now it is simple.

rbutler_7

A Poster
By definition, a sweatshop is: Any workplace where the wages are inadequate, the hours too long, and the working conditions endanger safety or health - whether or not any laws are violated.

Yes, im sure we should stick more to these guidelines. This will make our economy soar!

I think we should maybe look at some of the reasons why so many large corporations flock to this way of thinking. It in my opinion is not good business, its greed and stealing from hard working people.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
User_Name said:
It's really the Clinton admin's fault for getting rid of the tax on hiring people overseas. Before they did that, it was really hard to hire 3rd world children, but now it is simple.
Yeah, Martha Stewart had it easy. LOL
Talking about sweat shops, taht is just going to happen, because those people are peasants by birth. It is sad and sickening, and I wish it were not true, but until we force every country to take on the same laws we did in the industrial revolution, it will always be like that. The people who run sweat shops do not even care about thier heritage, why should we give them a break? I say, dont buy from any company that has plants overseas, ever. Then we will have a world wide economy colapse and a revolution.

rbutler_7

A Poster
Martha should have never gone to jail. They should have put her to work in the plant as punishment. I’m sure she would raise productivity sewing the 101 dalmation clothes for Disney and she would even get paid 28 cents an hour for it!