WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Ap Racism?

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
Is the Associated Press Racist in their news coverage?

Check this out:

What's the difference between "looting" and "finding". I guess the issue is black & white.

:confused:

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
:(

Certainly seems racist. I'm pretty much speechless here. Nothing seems to be able to tie everyone together.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
dont worry im sure the police boats will come and beat the black guy on camera with oars while they pull the white couple out of the water and row em home so we can get all outraged as a group...

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
It happens all the time. This one time when I was younger I had gone to a friend's show in Jersey. The drummer was Hispanic and I ended up getting a ride with him and his friend and this other girl to my friend's house. We got stopped on the highway by some cops who ended up searching the entire car and searching the guys. The dude was wearing shorts, they made him pull his shorts out to see if he was hiding anything. It was crazy. That would've never happened if the boys were white. You can't question the cops in a situation like that without getting arrested or getting more shit from them.

It happens to white's too. Basically anyone who's not white and clean cut. Forget if you have tatoos or piercings or colorful hair or dress outside the norm. They treat you like you're trouble.

The racism has calmed down slightly now but it's still lurking out there and it sucks.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Maybe the first people took more than they needed (I saw some guy stealing a Dora the Explorer ATV yesterday on CNN) ... Or the grocery store that the white people stole from was flooded or something... Ehh, doesn't really matter anymore...

BklynCannonball

You can't justify racism. It's pretty obvious here. They should be called out on it.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
You can't get anymore blantant then that. - Tough to explain that one away.

jamesp

In Memory...
Look guys. Im sure that such a prestigous institution like the Associated Press did plrenty of research on the 'looter' and the 'finders'. People from stuff like this don't make mistakes. :rolleyes:

PS: The guy in the second pic is jung!

lcoon80

Flame Bait
Maybe I'm wrong, but AP and the AFP are two different orinizations getting news and they are not related an anyway besides they both gather news, and AP writes stories that get people attention using the word looting not finding like AFP. I don't think you can compair them it like apples and oranges.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
This is a good opportunity to steal a lot of money/stuff.

blkrose4evr

Banned - What an Asshat!
you'd think that a tradegy would get rid of that kind of barrier. but i guess not. what is wrong with people?

jamesp

In Memory...
blkrose4evr said:
you'd think that a tradegy would get rid of that kind of barrier. but i guess not. what is wrong with people?
I guess some people see the glass half empty and others see it half full.

lcoon80 said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but AP and the AFP are two different orinizations getting news and they are not related an anyway besides they both gather news, and AP writes stories that get people attention using the word looting not finding like AFP. I don't think you can compair them it like apples and oranges.
Gods, he's right, the AFP and AP are completely different news organisations. That pretty much eliminates any point this thread may have had, oh well.
Oh and racists suck.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
another perspective, from slate.com

Lost in the Flood
Why no mention of race or class in TV's Katrina coverage?

http://www.slate.com/id/2124688/nav/tap2/

To the question of looting, an informed reporter or anchor might have pointed out that anybody—even one of the 500 Nordic blondes working in broadcast news—would loot food from a shuttered shop if they found themselves trapped by a flood and had no idea when help would come. However sympathetic I might be to people liberating necessities during a disaster in order to survive, I can't muster the same tolerance for those caught on camera helping themselves in a leisurely fashion to dry goods at Wal-Mart. Those people weren't looting as much as they were shopping for good stuff to steal. MSNBC's anchor Rita Cosby, who blurted an outraged if inarticulate harrumph when she aired the Wal-Mart heist footage, deserves more respect than the broadcasters who gave the tape the sort of nonjudgmental commentary they might deliver if they were watching the perps vacuum the carpets at home.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Remember, people who loot, loot the insurance companies. The goods they are stealing belong to the insurance companies now. So they're stealing from a bunch of crooks, wich is all good.

Loot the shit out of new orleans.

BklynCannonball

canadian_pov said:
Gods, he's right, the AFP and AP are completely different news organisations. That pretty much eliminates any point this thread may have had, oh well.
Oh and racists suck.
Doesn't matter if they're different. Pictures and words are carefully chosen. It doesn't eliminate a thing.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
RageAgainst said:
Remember, people who loot, loot the insurance companies. The goods they are stealing belong to the insurance companies now. So they're stealing from a bunch of crooks, wich is all good.

Loot the shit out of new orleans.
one day you might decide, or be forced in to the straight life.. kids, house etc. and you'l get insurance, because you want the security of your kids being able to eat if you die, or live somewhere if there's a fire.. and your insurance will be very expensive, partly because of shit like the above statement..
we do not want the insurance companies to go the way of enron.. insurance is for everyone, not just the elite..

The news cast people always tries to make Black people look bad. I haven't seen video clips of white people looting in New Orleans yet. They should loot anyway because who the hell is going to wait for Wallgreens to open just so they can pay for some food. As if they have any money now.

Janglenut

Particinator
They are done by seperate agencies, as someone said making this topic useless.

However, still kind of funny.

All of the people are STEALING, doesn't matter what they take. Food I can understand, but when I see a guy (race don't matter) walking out of a store with a VCR and a T.V. I tend to get kind of pissed. (CNN showed it)

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
canadian_pov said:
Oh and racists suck.
No, it still talks about very differing Points of View, on the same story...
Good Thread.