WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

are you religious?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
this is like roll call and get to know your fellow wtfer except it's a place to tell everyone your religious/spiritual beliefs.

there's a lot of posters here and i do try and remember who's who and how well (or not) i relate to them.. but very few posters are clear about their religious standing. and i'm sorry but that does make a difference to how i will read your posts.

so tell us, are you christian, something else, nothing, confused?
you can post one word or a paragraph.

i am nothing, most people term that atheism but i can't even be bothered to pigeonhole it as that.. i was bought up by nothing parents in england, nearly everyone i knew was the same.. school made us sing songs about jesus and read the stories but it was far from being a religious environment. then i got pretty spiritual with hallucinogenics, entered the void so to speak.. but instead of becoming destitute or damaged i just evolved on and left them behind, the drugs and drug people.. so i didn't need a 12 step or jesus to help me. i've flirted quite heavily with buddha, i love his values and teachings, and admire the people/nations who are buddhists. but i am not a buddhist, it's not who i am.
so i'm atheist. i like it.

OmegaZeto

Eyeless Pilot
I'm Zet-Religion. There basically is NO religion to it, only belief and faith in what you believe. There's no daily ritual, no dogma, no "you must absolutely do this or you're going to hellx0rz" bullshit.
Zet-Religion is about believing in the existence of a God who Created the Universe and everything in it. That God has a Son who died and rose again three days later as a sacrificial offering for the sins of mankind, enabling us to be "saved" from said sins and find our place in eternity alongside Him. Sounds like Christianity, right? Well that's where the similarity ENDS. Christianity was a wonderful thing from 28A.D. till about 400 A.D., when it became an institution.
I created Zet-Religion as a sort of spinoff of my Zet Clan, a group of good friends. Clan members are not required to believe in Zet-Religion, but I know one of them does.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Make it a poll man.

I'm not religious. Maybe I'm an atheist. I can't be bothered to decide. What's funny is that I work for a Christian company doing tech support for Christian Churches. I get blessed a lot. ;)

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
i'm an atheist, but i follow all the basic tenets set forth by every major religion. basically:

1- be nice to people
2- don't kill anyone
3- be honest

i'm not anti-religious (a mistake commonly made by the religious). i am just non-religious. i believe religion plays a very important roll for many people and societies. it gives people purpose and a sense of being (not to mention someone to blame when things go wrong).

OmegaZeto

Eyeless Pilot
Tostig said:
i'm an atheist, but i follow all the basic tenets set forth by every major religion. basically:

1- be nice to people
2- don't kill anyone
3- be honest

i'm not anti-religious (a mistake commonly made by the religious). i am just non-religious. i believe religion plays a very important roll for many people and societies. it gives people purpose and a sense of being (not to mention someone to blame when things go wrong).
I feel the same way about good spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
OmegaZeto said:
I feel the same way about good spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
sorry, it's a monday. i can't tell if you're making fun of me or complimenting me :p

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
I'm not religious but am tolerant and respectful of peoples' religions.

I believe in something bigger than us but nothing like they teach you in any standardized religion.

Though when I say God Bless, I mean it.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Tostig said:

1- be nice to people
2- don't kill anyone
3- be honest
Funny you say that, because I'd argue that 90% of the wars in the history of the world have been started over some kind of religion. And honesty? Honesty would kill religion. Have you read the Bible lately? You think the priests who came up with that were honest? It's a joke.

Now, please don't get me wrong, before you jump on me. I consider myself a fairly learned person. I've read the Bible, I've read the Quran, I've read Buddhist teachings, Hindu teachings, and I watched that South Park episode about Scientology. :)tongue: ). I find religion (the actualy religion, not theology or faith) to be cult like, and a sham.

I could go on forever about this, and on most days, I'm usually far more approachable about it, but today just happens to be one of me less lenient days.

Let me conclude by saying that I'm part agnostic, part deist. I realy haven't figured out exactly what I am. Some days I feel a little apathetic, some days I'm a little more spiritual. I think consistancy will come with age.

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
i never said the church (whichever one you prefer) was honest, i just said honesty is one of the things all major religions try to instill in their followers. and i never said religions haven't had or caused problems.

i just said that i live by three simple rules that are commonly held by most major religions

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
void said:
i am nothing, most people term that atheism but i can't even be bothered to pigeonhole it as that.. i was bought up by nothing parents in england, nearly everyone i knew was the same.. school made us sing songs about jesus and read the stories but it was far from being a religious environment.

. i've flirted quite heavily with buddha, i love his values and teachings, and admire the people/nations who are buddhists. but i am not a buddhist, it's not who i am.
so i'm atheist. i like it.
I'm on a lazy mood..so that although I'm not yet an atheist I'm still christian but on the mission to get fired..or..whatever you have to do so you wont be a thing in the church anymore. I find buddhism very..loveable, and find buddha to be a person that I look up to :happysad:

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
i practiced buddhism for a while. the branch i followed isn't really a religion (nichiren shoshu buddhism), more a set of practices. and nichiren shoshu isn't viewed as a deity, more like a leader and mentor. it was pretty neat , and there were a lot of buddhists there that were also practitioners of other religions. i haven't chanted in many years, but i still find the way they taught us to meditate a very helpful practice when i'm stressed.

I guess I can be considered what is commonly referred to as agnostic. I don't believe god's existence can be proven or disproven.

Aw, hell. Even if he does exist, I couldn't care less. :happysad:

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
Over whaatever few years i have lived, i have been drawn to a lot of religions. Im am a hindu by birth and generally believe in nonviolence.:)D)
For the past two years i have felt a great attraction to buddhism and this year during the summer, i would probably go to tibet , china or bhutan for a month to learn about buddhism and its culture. I am really open to people to other religions, and i am anti-anti-atheists :) and anit-anti-religious.I have also practised islam for a few months during the month of Ramadan and i also plan to learn about chrishtianity, the jewish faith, jainism and he parsi faith
(I think its called zoroastrian faith or something like that)

Actually im also thinking of converting to buddhism.

Swid

Mentally Incarcerated
I'm like alot of people here, I'm really intrested in Buddism. My Mom was actually Buddist, but I was raised Christian until I started really to think about it. I'm in a sort of neutral religion. I've read about several religions and the one I most lean to is Buddism. I won't pick a religion until I've read about a good amount of religions. I'm only 13, so I choose not label myself a religion until I actually know a lot about it.

I'm an Atheist. I think that the belief in God is foolish and that all religions are nothing more than cults and are just tools to control people.

OmegaZeto

Eyeless Pilot
I Hate The FCC said:
I'm an Atheist. I think that the belief in God is foolish and that all religions are nothing more than cults and are just tools to control people.
If you reaaaly think that, then you are just as ignorant as all those Fundies who say we're all possessed by the Devil and we're all going to hell.

OmegaZeto said:
If you reaaaly think that, then you are just as ignorant as all those Fundies who say we're all possessed by the Devil and we're all going to hell.
How so? How is Christianity different from the people who were in Jonestown?