WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Ares

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
I use a P2P download system called Ares. It's free, works really well and doesn't have any spyware (at least not to my knowledge, my computer has not slowed down in the least). Anyway, I'd like to download some good games, if anyone uses this system, place a post.

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
I don't remember the details of installing the software, but a rarely install those add-ins that they describe as optional or suggested. Like I said, everything is working well. And if all they're doing is monitoring my habits, that's fine.

Jung

???
Premium
ReiMeishin said:
I don't remember the details of installing the software, but a rarely install those add-ins that they describe as optional or suggested. Like I said, everything is working well. And if all they're doing is monitoring my habits, that's fine.
Ares runs on the same network that "Warez" does, it's being watched by the mpaa/riaa etc, it's also infested with malware. Congradulations on infecting your system. :thumbsup: Do you really trust the installer to not install malware, just because you select "don't install"? Why not use something safer, like BT(closed trackers only), IRC, DC++ or NNTP?

tzedek

Original Member
is shareaza bad for your comp?

Jung

???
Premium
tzedek said:
is shareaza bad for your comp?
The program itself isn't bad per say, but I don't know why anyone would want to use it. Gnutella and the emule networks are both crap and it sucks as a BT client, at least imo.
ReiMeishin said:
Yay warez!!!!1111

:cool:

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
ReiMeishin said:
I use a P2P download system called Ares. It's free, works really well and doesn't have any spyware (at least not to my knowledge, my computer has not slowed down in the least). Anyway, I'd like to download some good games, if anyone uses this system, place a post.
Yes, I use ares and I like it. I have downloaded a lot of stuff like music, movies...good quality I might add, software...ect. I love that system. And don't listen to Junalism...He is a fucking computer health nut...everything has to be perfect becuase he is affraid of taking chances on his computer. Anyway, I wouldn't know about any good games for you to download, sorry.

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
junglizm said:
The program itself isn't bad per say, but I don't know why anyone would want to use it. Gnutella and the emule networks are both crap and it sucks as a BT client, at least imo.

:cool:
Until you prove me wrong, Ares is actually helping my computer, killing viruses and making it go faster. :D

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
ReiMeishin said:
Until you prove me wrong, Ares is actually helping my computer, killing viruses and making it go faster. :D
Like a time bomb! One day BOOM! You'll have a complete meltdown!

Jung

???
Premium
Cuddles said:
everything has to be perfect becuase he is affraid of taking chances on his computer. Anyway, I wouldn't know about any good games for you to download, sorry.
No, I just know how to keep my computer malware/virii free. Not to mention keep my ISP from shutting me off. Ignorance and "good enough" is easy, and it works, atleast for a while. But what do I know, I only work with computers for a living. I'm sure, what ever you do makes you more qualified. :rolleyes:

If you don't think your ISP will shut you off, trust me they will. One of my friends just got booted off of Cox for downloading off of Kazaa and Suprnova.

Reply-To: replaced-name@copyright-compliance.com
To: abuse@cox.net
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:35:07 -0800
Subject: SYMC Product Download/P2P Notice to ISP : [Notice ID: 674779], Case
ID: <<CaseID>>

[Part 0 (plain text)]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I am writing on behalf of Replaced-name Corporation. Replaced-name owns the trademarks and holds the copyrights for numerous computer software products, including but not limited to a suite of computer utility and antivirus software products under the U.S. registered trademarks NORTON SYSTEMWORKS® and NORTON ANTIVIRUS®, and other software bearing the "Norton" or "Replaced-name" brand names. Replaced-name also holds the registered trademark in the U.S. and other countries for its name, REPLACED-NAME®. Replaced-name's rights are evidenced by, among other things, registrations of its trademarks and copyrights with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the United States Copyright Office.

As you know, unauthorized use of Replaced-name's trademarks, and unauthorized copying and/or distribution of Replaced-name's copyrighted works, is a violation of federal and state laws. It is illegal to produce, sell or distribute such unauthorized works.

Replaced-name has been notified that Cox Communications provides Internet access for the IP address listed below. We have determined that unauthorized copying and distribution of one or more of our products (Please see evidence below), is taking place from that address. Such distribution is not authorized by Replaced-name, its agents or the law and thus constitutes infringement.

Based on the above, the deliberate and clear infringement of Replaced-name's protected copyright and trademark rights, and the harm to Replaced-name's business and goodwill from the infringing use, Replaced-name demands that you immediately investigate and take action to stop this infringing activity, and inform us of the results of your actions. Replaced-name believes that the entire Internet community benefits when these matters are resolved cooperatively. Accordingly, we appreciate your efforts toward this common goal.

The information contained in this notification is accurate. Under penalty of perjury, the undersigned is authorized to act on behalf of Replaced-name with respect to this matter.

Please be advised that this letter is not and is not intended to be a complete statement of the facts or law as they may pertain to this matter or to Replaced-name's positions, rights or remedies, legal or equitable, all of which are specifically reserved.

Thank you very much for your immediate assistance regarding this matter, and please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Chansonette Connolly
Manager, Worldwide Brand Protection
Legal Department
Replaced-name Corporation
20330 Stevens Creek Blvd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
Email: replaced-name@copyright-compliance.com

*pgp public key is available on the key server at ldap://keyserver.pgp.com
Notice ID: 674779

Notice ID: 674779
Title:replaced-name.name
Infringement Source: Bit Torrent
Initial Infringement Timestamp:21 Nov 2003 10:06:59 GMT
Recent Infringement Timestamp:21 Nov 2003 10:06:59 GMT
Infringement Address: 68.105.xx.xx
Infringement Site: Suprnova.org
Infringer Username:None
Infringing Filename: program.name.bin
Infringing Filesize:218938272

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 8.0

iQA/AwUBP8vQK1LuN+AO4uatEQJ95gCg52pYF0viIypnJwyoAXpYhC5iVawAnjGN
8bEIg58c3Uv32KGtHqpWW30K
=Chc+
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
That's a letter I got last year, I almost lost my Cox account because I was stupid enough to use a "kazaa like" program. Ares has been all over the web, TechTV even featured it in a segment on their cable network. Do you honestly think that it's not being watched? Do what you want, but don't mind me if I laugh at you.

Note: I did replace the name of the file and company filing the complaint.

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
junglizm said:
No, I just know how to keep my computer malware/virii free. Not to mention keep my ISP from shutting me off. Ignorance and "good enough" is easy, and it works, atleast for a while. But what do I know, I only work with computers for a living. I'm sure, what ever you do makes you more qualified. :rolleyes:

If you don't think your ISP will shut you off, trust me they will. One of my friends just got booted off of Cox for downloading off of Kazaa and Suprnova.
WTF Ever, WTF ever. I don't have to listen to you. Like I said you are nothing but a computer health freak afraid of taking risks. You act like you can't do anything on a computer. Damn, one day you going to tell every one its not safe to turn the damn bitch on.

Jung

???
Premium
Cuddles said:
WTF Ever, WTF ever. I don't have to listen to you. Like I said you are nothing but a computer health freak afraid of taking risks. You act like you can't do anything on a computer. Damn, one day you going to tell every one its not safe to turn the damn bitch on.
No, some people just do really stupid things with their computers. It's your internet and your computer, do what you wish. Nobody said that you had to listen to me, I was just offering some good advice. The reason people fuck up their computers is because they think "oh well that can't hurt, I have anti virus, lets download this, it's impossible for anything to hurt my computer"... You'll be in here asking us to help you un-fuck it sooner or later. Btw, I'm not trying to argue with you, but since you chose to troll, I was replying. You don't need to prove to me that you're the mostest smartest computer person you ever did saw.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
Huh huh...he said "Cocks..." Huh huh. Heh heh. Huh huh. Heh heh.

Holy shit...I'll never use Suprnova again!

i like using ares too.. definately beats all the azas'

faster, easier, better?

fuck_you

Banned - What an Asshat!
winmx is not being watched good for songs not good for anything else though.

Jung

???
Premium
fuck_you said:
winmx is not being watched good for songs not good for anything else though.
I"m sure you're getting that information, like most of your information, from thin air. I guess the mp3 fairy told you that WinMX wasn't being watched. Use some common sense; the MPAA/RIAA is watching all the more popular p2p networks. By networks I mean programs like Kazaa, Emule, WinMX etc. Those are the easiest to target, because of their network design.
http://www.lawdit.co.uk/reading_roo...p?name=../articles/BPI to sue- watch out!.htm
The US already has many lawsuits taking place against individuals who use the Internet in order to download music without paying for it; they have some 5,700 cases at the moment. In the past the US music industry has been embarrassed with stories of old ladies and young children being targeted. The reason for this is that the individual who is using the system can only be traced by the computer that they are using and therefore the personal information cannot be discovered until an action has been taken against the user to discover their identity.

The way that music is uploaded and downloaded is through software provided by the likes of Kazaa, Grokster, Imesh, Bearshare and WinMX from this it is possible for the users to upload songs for other people to take without paying for.
I'm not going to look for many links, but I know that WinMX users have and are still being sued. You may not know anyone that's been sued and you may not see it on TV, but it's happening. I'm not saying don't use WinMX, I'm sure you'll do that anyway. Just don't think, ignorantly, that WinMX isn't being watched.

</rant>

Tenderony
Loki torrent and muff torrent. Thats all you need..

</rant>

i_love_life

16/f/ca!!!1 omg!!1!!@!1
Hey jung, you seem to know the most here, what are your thoughts on soulseek? i got it today, it seems pretty good....

VenomHowell

Cynical Piece of Shit
So far, I haven't gotten any corrupt RIAA files from Warez P2P, and it's served me very well. I think it's on the lesser known side too, so I doubt the RIAA is actually watching it this very momment.