WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Arguements against religion

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
It has become disgustingly popular to view yourself above religion. I want to hear why. Why is it that kids these days feel that they make a decision on religion at the ripe old age of 12? I figured that some of you "intellectuals" out here will have a reasonable arguement for or against religion, not "christianity sucks, satan rulez" I've heard that shit. And i'm not talking about organized religion, which i believe is a complete scam. I believe you can have a set of morals without commiting to a religion, but why are people so adamant on disproving religion?

skylinec

Somewhere in the Between
bigck3000 said:
It has become disgustingly popular to view yourself above religion. I want to hear why. Why is it that kids these days feel that they make a decision on religion at the ripe old age of 12? I figured that some of you "intellectuals" out here will have a reasonable arguement for or against religion, not "christianity sucks, satan rulez" I've heard that shit. And i'm not talking about organized religion, which i believe is a complete scam. I believe you can have a set of morals without commiting to a religion, but why are people so adamant on disproving religion?
to seem cool as a satanist or atheist

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
bigck3000 said:
I believe in the man and not so much the myth! The bible is a fine piece of work, but so was Jack and the Bean Stalk!

I have nothing for or against religion. i say let people believe whatever the hell they want to believe.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
to clarify, before the dumb fucks kill this thread, i didnt mean christianity only, ALL religions.

skylinec

Somewhere in the Between
bigck3000 said:
to clarify, before the dumb fucks kill this thread, i didnt mean christianity only, ALL religions.
we know

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
I dont have a real problem with Religion. I do have a problem with people moving their feet blindly through life,because of it. Me...I dont believe in Santa Claus,anymore. Ahh! I could go on for pages and pages about why the human mind is so....vulnerable....into thinking....someone,or some..thing.
.will make it all go away. Or all better. But,I'm not up for typing ten pages of shit you CAN'T geht the meaning of. You'd be better off hearing my creed,than trying to interperate the words you read. So,I wont. Geht off it. Santa Claus is NOT commin' to town. Geht over it.

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
From all the shit that goes around the world I can't see how religion exists.. If "God" is all powerful and good wouldn't he stop this shit or know it was going to happen? Now don't jump on my ass like "Oh it's not Gods JOB", well you know what, I don't really give a shit.. He should step in.. But he won't because "he" isn't there.. I doubt 99.9% that there is any kind of thing that is overlooking this world as one big fragzone for the human race. I believe in "the big bang" theory, which states that everything was basically sucked into one big particle through a black hole and was shit back out to be thrown everywhere, which essentially formed the galaxy, we were a molecule that evolved like many other forms of life.. Hell, your lucky your human.. You could have been a fish, but you were born into the human race.. Other than church being pointless, boring and disturbingly quiet.. My reason is that religion has shown almost no proof, there are writings and stories that were "believed to have happened" about Jesus coming back from the dead yatta yatta yatta.. Give me an outer body religious experience and I'll show some faith.. Maybe..

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Unforgiven said:
I have nothing for or against religion. i say let people believe whatever the hell they want to believe.
You said it right. I really don't care what people believe and what they don't. Shit, I don't even know what I believe...lol. I don't even go to church. I am not saying I don't believe in god or anything like that but why waist my time going to church to sit there and listen to a whole bunch of bull shit? Oh your going to be saved...or oh we are going to pray for you so nothing will happen...yeah right, like that will actually solve any problems.

PurgeParadox

God of Universe 420
personaly I belive the the consept of "God" is nothing more that the metaphysical consept of "Law". law governs all and generates a consept of "order". for instance, all things die. However this "Law" is without mercy, if you try to fight law, you will always loose. But if you abide by the rules of law, you will be protected

the polar opposite of law is "chaos" (or in a more generic sence, satan). choas is not evil, but it is without a consept of law. Choas brings change, change incompases all. It it the metaphyical idea the Law can be altered. The problem with chaos is that it holds no allies. Chaos will either harm, or help, it cannot be controlled.

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
Fathoming all that exists is beyond the intellect of myself and everyone else in this world. I have no idea if there's some kind of omnipotent being or beings out there, that's just beyond my comprehension.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
I read a piece by St Augustine that presented a theory about evil...in it he said that evil comes from the inequities of man's status...to clarify....all things are ranked based on their "perfectness" (lets say) with God being at the top...men fall into this ranking on an individual basis....like Tom is higher on the scale than Bill, because he is a better person...."evil" comes about when the people lower on the scale, begin deciding what happens to those higher on the scale. now before you get all huffy about the source, St. Augustine is easily within the top 5 most influential philosophers of all time...and i think he was just a tad more intelligent than a middle school student.

And to me the whole big bang thing is fine and good but i have to ask...where did the particle come from?....where did the black hole come from? why was any of this stuff here?....it just was? is that your answer? you have more faith in "it just was" than in the idea that it "was" for some reason...if i walk up to you....show you my hands, empty right?....but hands behind my back and come back with a shiny new dildo...are you going to assume the dildo just appeared in my hand? Or will you assume that through some action, i obtained the dildo?

Skorch

Destroyer of worlds
There's an interesting game theory explanation why it makes more sense to believe in God than not to. It goes like this:

Consider the two alignments of "believing in God" and "not believing in God" and then consider the two possibilities "God exists" and "God doesn't exist". Now if you gridded this, there are four possibilities: to believe in God and God exists(Believe, Exist), to believe he does and he doesn't(Believe, Not exist), to not believe he exists and he does(Not believe, Exist), to not believe he exists and he doesn't(Not believe, Not exist).
Now you map out the potential payoffs for these four possibilities of (Believe, Exist) being going to heaven, (Believe, Not Exist) being nothing, (Not believe, Exist) being going to hell, and (Not believe, Not exist) being nothing.
So the outcome is the same whether you believe or not if God doesn't actually exist (since we all end up the same anyway), but there is an infinitely better payoff for believing than not believing if he does in fact exist. This means, by game theory at least, that it is actually more logical to believe in God.

Now you can make all sorts of arguments about the validity of believing in God as an insurance policy and not out of any sort of actual faith or whatever (that's a different argument), but I just thought this little argument was pretty interesting and relevant to the topic.

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
Forgot to mention:
In my experience there are three kinds of atheists
1. The confused (includes myself)- Find that nothing makes sence and end up not knowing what to believe or to believe in anything at all.
2. The apathetic- Don't care enough about the hereafter or omnipotence or any of that to believe in anything.
3. The elitest- Out to prove that there is nothing greater than humans.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
The possibility of God will always exsist.[in our minds] Consider this:My pond water theory; Take a drop of pond water,look at it under a microscope. Single celled life lives. Just a simple form of life below our evolutionary stage. Do they know you're looking at them? No,they do not. They're are not able to understand the full concept of evolution being so far beyond their own. To single celled life,YOU are God. Therefore,are WE at the top of the Evolutionary ladder? That is not possible. Just because you cant see something,it doesn't mean it can't exist. I'm sure that there are many forms of unrecognizable life,well beyond our own. Does that make them a God? There cannot be only one. One becomes many.
Do you have pets? Are you a God? Not in your reality.

In closing,kids. I'm sure there's something greater than human life out there. It may not be what you/we exspect.

pakdatson

Banned - What an Asshat!
no one wants to die but we know its going to happen. so we made up religion to give a reason to why we die. it gives people hope, and it gives life some kind of meaning.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
Think for yourself
Question authority

Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening,
terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in
this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities, the political, the
religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by
giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their
view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and
learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open-mindedness;
chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself.

Think for yourself.
Question authority.

T.L.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Well, let me give you my take on it.

I believe in God. It has nothing to do with having an insurance policy to get me to heaven, becuase I do not soley beleive that you would go straight to heaven. I dont know what happens when I die, and right now I dont care because I am alive.
I make a choice to believe in God, you can call it my "imaginary friend for grown ups" or my "security blanket" as CL often does, being that he is an athiest and believes in nothing. I make this choice (to believe) conciously without the constraints of religion. I do not believe that God worries about the stuff we (as humans, like homosexuality, birth control, ect.) do. I think He just wants us to all get along, love each other, follow the golden rule, and spread the message of ultimate love and forgiveness unconditional of reward or gain.
I choose to believe in God because I know and have seen evil act upon and within humans, including myself. I refuse to believe that all of this pain and anger that is in the world has no counterpart, and I choose to call that counterpart my God. I dont know if this is the same God of Christianity, however I do beleive and accept that there is a Jesus who is part of God and who brough miracles and peace to the world through his message.

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
If there is a god, I doubt it has the time to worry about us on earth. There are at least 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the universe. If we assume only 1 in a billion planets has life on it (or any of its moons) that still leaves six trillion planets with living creatures. And I'd be willing to bet that several million still of them also have intelligent beings.