WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Asian Bird Flu

magnolia

Postaholic
Alright, I know they're saying that this hasn't crossed over to humans yet, but what are the chances that it could mutate into a form that humans could contracts. And furthermore, what is being done to stop this from turning into the Spanish Flu from the 1890's?

jamesp

In Memory...
On the contrary, several people in East-Asia have died from it. This is what has the world health community in an uproar, a new disease that they have no cure for as of yet. It could be a catastrophe. But I dont really think anyone should start freaking out just yet.

magnolia

Postaholic
jamesp said:
On the contrary, several people in East-Asia have died from it. This is what has the world health community in an uproar, a new disease that they have no cure for as of yet. It could be a catastrophe. But I dont really think anyone should start freaking out just yet.
Really?! :eek: I heard on the news here that it hasn't yet gone to humans. That's it, I'm stockpiling vitamins and ani-flu stuff so that I can build up my immunity. :hairout:

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
H5N1 is absolutely shocking, i was watching a documentary about it. once a person or bird is infected, the virus seems to almost instantly multiply inside the hosts body heading for the lungs and the brain. it spreads like wildfire through the lungs and death is imminent within a few short days. the pain and suffering is reported to be utterly unbearable, victims have been seen ripping the breathing tube out of their mouths.

think about how most people live in rural vietnam, they live in very close proximity to poultry, and it's never been considered a problem eating a bird that has died from illness. when the bird is slaughtered blood droplets become airborne and can easily be inhaled, the virus is also still active in the muscle and much of the flesh and can be absorbed in the human gastro intestinal tract even after cooking.

it's a very sad story and one of the 1st victims was an 18 year-old girl who loved to collect exotic birds.

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
About over a dozen have died from it, so yes people can contract it already.

There has been warning signs that this could turn into what was the Spanish Flu, but they don't know how far advance it will be, of course they don't know if the vaccines will work until an outbreak.

squeeze_me

Fuck me in the gotaz.
fuckin scumy asians,they all migrate to australia illeagally and bring 500 of there cousins along on put put boats with tiny engines and to top it off they smuggle in drugs and now they seem to be smuggling dieseses fuckin fuck fuckers :mfinger:

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
1) Read the rules, no discrimination against other races. So go edit, or I'll have your ass.
2) It is not from the people, It's transported by Birds, that's why the thread is name "Asian BIRD flu".

Jung

???
Premium
squeeze_me said:
fuckin scumy asians,they all migrate to australia illeagally and bring 500 of there cousins along on put put boats with tiny engines and to top it off they smuggle in drugs and now they seem to be smuggling dieseses fuckin fuck fuckers :mfinger:
Hey, you're banned. :thumbsup: You also seem to lack reading skills.

pyrodude

The real man's bitch
meh_it_all said:
About over a dozen have died from it, so yes people can contract it already.

There has been warning signs that this could turn into what was the Spanish Flu, but they don't know how far advance it will be, of course they don't know if the vaccines will work until an outbreak.
The last I heard 60 people had been killed by bird flu. This is nothing if the virus mutates so it can be passed on human to human then the death toll will go up. In the UK it is predicted 50,000 could die. But as I said this hasn't happened...yet.

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
i recently had a friend over and i showed him this thread. he said, "wow you've got an eloquant post there, pity nobody has commented on your brilliant words"

R

RedOctober

Well... Some areas on this planet are dangerous, because people mess around too much with animals. If a contaminated bird is butchered by some asshole with no protection and cuts his finger, it is possible that he gets infected, and nobody knows how it's going to spread.

A spreading by tiny particles from the victims breath, or blood sucking flees or mosquito's that spread the disease.

At least there is some truth in the Old Testament about how to work in the kitchen in a proper way.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
this might help with all the urban myths going around..
also check the WHO website or do a search for 'HN51 symptoms'..

Have I got ...

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]... avian flu?[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Helen Pidd
Thursday October 20, 2005
The Guardian

[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]No. You've got a cold. Deal with it. Start worrying next year, when experts predict avian flu may well have reached our shores. According to Sir Liam Donaldson, the chief medical officer, an epidemic is inevitable, with deaths of up to 50,000 predicted in the UK.
How will I get it?
Not from eating chicken, nor from a fellow human - unless the virus mutates. You'll have to come into close contact with an infected animal (it's not just birds) to be hit.
How will I know?
There is no widely available test but look out for fever, cough, sore throat, muscle aches, conjunctivitis and, in severe cases, severe breathing problems and pneumonia. Flu symptoms, basically.
And then what?
Antiviral drugs are sometimes effective in both preventing and treating the disease. Oseltamivir (commercially known as Tamiflu) and zanamivir (commercially known as Relenza) can reduce the severity and the duration of any illnesses that are caused by seasonal influenza.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/birdflu/story/0,14207,1596267,00.html
[/FONT]