WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Ask me about being a network admin/IT in general

Jung

???
Premium
Well, I'm bored here at work, and the other forums I visit are all dead for some reason. I've always found the "ask me about X" threads on other forums interesting, so I figured I'd start one here. If you have any questions about my job, or IT (Information Technology) as a field in general, ask away. For the other IT guys on here, feel free to add your :twocents: as you see fit. :)

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
junglizm said:
Well, I'm bored here at work, and the other forums I visit are all dead for some reason. I've always found the "ask me about X" threads on other forums interesting, so I figured I'd start one here. If you have any questions about my job, or IT (Information Technology) as a field in general, ask away. For the other IT guys on here, feel free to add your :twocents: as you see fit. :)

What made you choose that field?

Jung

???
Premium
_Kitana_ said:
What made you choose that field?
My parents had a computer in our house since I was probably seven or eight. I've always been interested in them, and always wanted to learn as much about them as I possibly could. My dad taught me a good bit when I was younger, then when I was in high school I taught him. ;) When I graduated high school, I couldn't think of anything I'd rather attend college for, save chemistry, but I could never see my self in some lab 8 hours a day. Other than that, I generally enjoy helping people, and I'm honestly not that good at anything else. Computers just come naturally to me.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
junglizm said:
My parents had a computer in our house since I was probably seven or eight. I've always been interested in them, and always wanted to learn as much about them as I possibly could. My dad taught me a good bit when I was younger, then when I was in high school I taught him. ;) When I graduated high school, I couldn't think of anything I'd rather attend college for, save chemistry, but I could never see my self in some lab 8 hours a day. Other than that, I generally enjoy helping people, and I'm honestly not that good at anything else. Computers just come naturally to me.
So than was your father into a feild that delt with computers or did he just kind of know something about them at the time.

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
How long have you been in the field of work you are in now? And is it a hard job?

Jung

???
Premium
_Kitana_ said:
So than was your father into a feild that delt with computers or did he just kind of know something about them at the time.
No, he's a college professor. He's taught Industrial Technology (drafting, contracting et al) for most of his life. At one point he had his own drafting firm, but sold it to go back to teaching. He's always been around computers and had an interest in them though, as well as some pretty tech savvy friends. (although not so much anymore.)
meh_it_all said:
How long have you been in the field of work you are in now? And is it a hard job?
I've been in the field for a littel less than 7 years. I started with an internship at a local ISP, then joined the Army and did the same type of work there. I've been in the public sector for about three years now.

I wouldn't say it's hard, per say, at least not any harder than the other technology related jobs out there. I mean, it's not just something you jump right into, but like anything else, skill comes from practice. My job doesn't entail anything that the average person couldn't do, given the proper training and experience though.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
Cool thread. ;) :thumbsup:

Um...will we just be touching on the in and outs of your day at work, or will we also be covering CC topics as well?

Jung

???
Premium
Well, I'd rather this thread be more about the field in general, or my job in particular. If anyone has specific computer questions, I'd rather they directed them to the appropriate forum.

Janglenut

Particinator
This topic is great Jung. This is the career/path that I'm hoping to enter so I will have lots of questions for you.

What does your typical day like?
What kind of "jobs" do you have to do?
Who employs you?
What kind of pay does an IT typically make? (Doesn't have to be you specifically)
Do you like your job?

More to come upon these answers. :D

Thanks Jung.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
junglizm said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "CC topics," but ask if you're curious and I'll try to answer your question as best as I can.
You've already failed, young goober. Had you been a true master of the 1337side, you'd have known that "CC" stands for "Computer Chamber".

Your request to be among the 1337GEEK johnnyK club has been....

Ok. Any hot chiXXors at your job?

Jung

???
Premium
Janglenut said:
What does your typical day like?
For the most part it's just preventive maintenance. Checking that backups completed the night before, managing our domains, monitoring and managing our network appliances and the network in general, helping the mail server guys with whatever, some light coding/scripting for servers/web apps/etc, a lot of testing and patching and a lot of web surfing and goofing off.

In a good NOC (network operations center) you really shouldn't have to do much new or constant work unless things break. So you spend most of your time trying to ensure that they don't break. This usually makes up about 85% of my work.

From time to time we have roll outs, with are usually software or hardware upgrades, or patches. I don't actually touch the hardware until it has an actual IP address and is provisioned onto the network though, our techs and network engineers handle all of that.
What kind of "jobs" do you have to do?
Well, mostly what I described above. I'm one of three Sr. net admins, so I have a few managerial duties as well, but luckily we have an IT manager who takes most of the flack for us. Special projects come and go as well; right now, I'm managing our development domain as well as our production one. The dev domain is a live network which is separated from the production network. This is where we do all of our testing, as well as what our developers use as their sandbox.
Who employs you?
I work for Electronic Data Systems, which is a global fortune 500 company that (if I remember correctly) was founded in 60s by Ross Perot. I'm not sure on the exact year, but I know for certain ol' Ross was the founder.
What kind of pay does an IT typically make? (Doesn't have to be you specifically)
It really depends on what you do; a tech support guy obviously isn't going to make what a network engineer or software engineer does. I'd say the absolute bottom for upper level support/low level admin positions would be around 35k a year, depending on your area.

I can't find the site I had in mind, but here are some "averages" or "projected expectations." The site I had in mind listed average salaries based on location. You might be able to goolge for it.

http://www.wageaccess.com/ncs/information_technology.asp
Gives an hourly rate, which is a bit confusing since most corporate jobs are salary based.
http://www.jobweb.com/resources/library/Salary_and_Benefits/Starting_Salary_51_01.htm
Scroll down to "Computer Sciences," I'd say those are decent averages for entry to (lower?) mid level positions.

Personally, I make right at the average for my position and location. To put things into perspective, our IT manager (regional) makes a little less than 100k a year. I, however, make considerably less than that. :(
Do you like your job?
Yes, definitely. As I stated previously, I really can't see myself doing anything else as a career, and I'm not holding out to make millions from my music. :p
gehtfuct said:
You've already failed, young goober. Had you been a true master of the 1337side, you'd have known that "CC" stands for "Computer Chamber".

Your request to be among the 1337GEEK johnnyK club has been....
Ok. Any hot chiXXors at your job?
I realized what you meant after I replied, I already edited my post before you even made this one. :p

Yes, we have a few decently attractive techs and one very attractive developer. There are plenty of young, hot girls that work in our building though, they're just not IT.
WILD said:
Was it difficult to get job in that field or was the job hunt easy?
It took me about three months to find a job after I left the Army. I wouldn't necessarily say it was hard though; it was more frustrating than anything. There's nothing worse than wanting to work, being qualified and there just not being any jobs on the market. Sadly though, the IT field has become flooded as of late, and jobs are getting harder and harder to find.