WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Asp/asp.net

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
So, I want to delve into Microsoft's technological development realm, and I sort of have a feel for things. However, instead of uploading to a webserver to test things out, I would much rather develop locally.

When I began with php, I found a neat little bundled package called, apachefriends or something. And bundled was a preconfigured webserver, with php, perl, mysql, etc.. Now, I am looking for something similar to that for an asp/asp.net enviroment. But finding this information has proved to be gay. Does anyone know what I need? And the steps in which to install things? Or maybe you know a good website that will tell me how to setup an asp enviroment? Any help would be mucho appreciated. :)

Jung

???
Premium
BRiT said:
Just install IIS and you have your ASP environment.
You need either XP Pro or a server version of Windows for that to work, though.

There is a mod_ASP patch for Apache (Tomcat?) as well. I have no experience with it though, so I have no idea how well it works. I do know that I hate ASP though. :D

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
junglizm said:

There is a mod_ASP patch for Apache (Tomcat?) as well. I have no experience with it though, so I have no idea how well it works. I do know that I hate ASP though. :D

I don't see the need of a full programming language for the web, but whatever. This is the only "technology" people around here are hiring for, with good money iinvolved. So, I figure I might as well give it a shot. :(

Jung

???
Premium
That's why I decided a long time ago that I didn't ever want to do development for a career... even if it is just web dev.

As far as MS languages go, anything .NET will command a decent salary, but you need experience as well. VB.net, C# and Visual C++ jobs are always in the paper and job boards here. I've always been tempted, but I like my job too much to switch.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
junglizm said:
Forgot about that, I just assume someone looking to get into programming would be running at least Win2K or Win XP Pro. No self-respecting programmer would run XP-Home. ;)

As for which .NET languages to pick up, C# is pretty slick. It should be an easy learn if one already knows Java. Of course learning any language is cake after you have your first two down pat.