WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Assisted Suicide : Yes or No?

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Say tomorrow you learn you have an extremely rare disease that makes you die slowly but increasingly painfully until you become crazy because of the too much intense pain. OR you can invest in a gun and a bullet and die easily and pain free. Or, for those who are already seriously ill and can't proceed to shoot themselves in the face, they can beg to the doctor to do it. Or else, it's gonna eat them alive. Seriously what would you do.

A: I would kill myself
B: I would die slowly and painfully

If you answer A, does it mean you would approve a law to let doctors kill a patient that begged them for weeks to do so?

^^ that of course, under strict and official procedure and consent of the victim.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i assume you are referring to the oregon/supreme court case.. there they evaluate the patient's mental state before administering the requested drugs, so nobody who is depressed can take advantage of the law.
personally, yes. 100 times yes. it's me, my body, my life.. if they say no and i deem it necessary to avoid suffering with no improvement then i would acheive the same end without their assistance..
i wouldn't just do this for toothache.. but i would under the circumstances laid out in your post.
if it gets that bad at the end then fuck 'hanging on' just to preserve life..
doctors have been doing it for centuries anyway, just discretely giving extra morphine to ease the suffering knowing full well that it suppresses breathing..

life isn't sacred, not when you're like that..

good question, hope this doesn't degenerate into a high school slander party..

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
I think Oklahoma allready has assisted suiside. There is also something called DNR. That stands for do not resesatate-SP? And I can assure you that wether or not this is a law, some doctors do give some patiants an overdose of morphine, but only for people that can say so, and truly have no hope. I my self wouldn't want to be bed ridden, only being able to communicate by blinking. I think I would take the death, over pain and suffering. I know that the suffering can get pretty bad.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Depending on those situations, I'd choose the quick death.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I can Euthenize my dog when she's suffering but I can't be Euthenized?

Assiseted Suicide for medical purposes: YES

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
RageAgainst said:
Say tomorrow you learn you have an extremely rare disease that makes you die slowly but increasingly painfully until you become crazy because of the too much intense pain. OR you can invest in a gun and a bullet and die easily and pain free. Or, for those who are already seriously ill and can't proceed to shoot themselves in the face, they can beg to the doctor to do it. Or else, it's gonna eat them alive. Seriously what would you do.

A: I would kill myself
B: I would die slowly and painfully

If you answer A, does it mean you would approve a law to let doctors kill a patient that begged them for weeks to do so?

^^ that of course, under strict and official procedure and consent of the victim.

I live in Oregon, we have had assisted suicide for years. We have voted it in twice. Now, the Supreme court is hearing it again, and we may lose that right. To date, only about two hundred oregonians have used this option, and it has been in effect 10 years. So, only about 20 ppl a year out of thousands decide to take that option. What gives anyone the right to remove that choice from someone? We force ppl to live on life support, having thier asses wiped and feeding tubes and staring at that fucking white hospital cieling for years. I dont think that is right. I think it is disgusting and shameful. I think our health care industry lobbyists are sick and looking out for thier own buck. Why can we develop excellent life support systems but cant seem to fund life improvement options? (It is a conspiracy, I promise you. If you dont believe me, look up your state health care laws and fund allocations, then look up who approved them and which COMPANY backed that approval)

You know what, if someone want to die, let them. Seriously. I dont think I could face myself knowing that my family member was praying for death EVERY DAY and I had to force them to live with our amazing technology. I also think it is sick that to keep a terminally ill patient in a state of ongoing death for six months requires HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. Who sees that money? The CNA making minimum wage? The doctor who can barely pay off his school loans and has a basis of several hundred similar patients? Where does all that HMO money go, anyways?

Death for many people is not a question of living, it is a question of the viability of maintaining that life when it reaches a simple point of no return.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
leehype said:
I think Oklahoma allready has assisted suiside. There is also something called DNR. That stands for do not resesatate-SP? And I can assure you that wether or not this is a law, some doctors do give some patiants an overdose of morphine, but only for people that can say so, and truly have no hope. I my self wouldn't want to be bed ridden, only being able to communicate by blinking. I think I would take the death, over pain and suffering. I know that the suffering can get pretty bad.

Do Not Rescessitate is very different thant Assisted Suicide.

A DNR law is used on terminally ill or elderly patients to refuse extreme life saving measures should the need arise, such as feeding tubes, plastic lungs, ect. It basically says that if the heart stops beating on its own, let it be so.

Assisted Suicide is saying that the terminally ill patient will progress beyond a point of sustainable and normal life, and that the patient is of sound mind to make the choice to not undergo months of utter pain and torture.

And I know I am double posting, but I have seen people (including family) go through some crazy shit at hospitals and hospice.

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
yes. NO doubt yes I would choose quick death..If my father would of asked us to kill him the last days he lived.I would of killed him.

It's just not the pain in the person they are helping it's the persons around the patient to..although, they should be as you said be checked so they just don't have a bad day.

I can not even immagine the pain my father had when he sat at home with a broken leg in 3 days(before going to the hospital)..because he knew he wouldnt come back home if he had to go to the hospital..and after that..the few days he lived..he got pumped with morphine..he couldnt say anything that had to do with anything..because of the morphine..so one day when we visited him, my mom stayed there and me and my sisters went to my sisters house and ate pizza..(so we would eat something..) my mom calls..and says he died..but his las words were "anja I love you" and he looked straight into her eyes..

I just wanted to tell you that because..it was a pain for me and for my family to se my dad in that condition..and he had cancer in 4years..If he had asked for AS I would of..because I could see his pain in his eyes sometimes..And I couldn't stop crying when I saw that.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Stardust said:
yes. NO doubt yes I would choose quick death..If my father would of asked us to kill him the last days he lived.I would of killed him.

It's just not the pain in the person they are helping it's the persons around the patient to..although, they should be as you said be checked so they just don't have a bad day.

I can not even immagine the pain my father had when he sat at home with a broken leg in 3 days(before going to the hospital)..because he knew he wouldnt come back home if he had to go to the hospital..and after that..the few days he lived..he got pumped with morphine..he couldnt say anything that had to do with anything..because of the morphine..so one day when we visited him, my mom stayed there and me and my sisters went to my sisters house and ate pizza..(so we would eat something..) my mom calls..and says he died..but his las words were "anja I love you" and he looked straight into her eyes..

I just wanted to tell you that because..it was a pain for me and for my family to se my dad in that condition..and he had cancer in 4years..If he had asked for AS I would of..because I could see his pain in his eyes sometimes..And I couldn't stop crying when I saw that.
That's a sad story.. Thanks for sharing :happysad:

latinmaxima

**SPECIAL**
AS is something that medically should be allowed. i have heard some people go as far as comparing it to abortion. Some people have different views. I think it should be allowed myself. Not only would I not want to suffer but I wouldn't want my family seeing me suffering in turn causing them to suffer. THe supreme court is going to have hell if they make it illegal

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
for anyone still on the fence regarding AS, or simply uninformed, there is an excellent piece on slate..

Many people who are considering assisted suicide contact a patient-advocacy group for help with the procedure and paperwork. Such a group can help to screen out people who are ineligible for assisted suicide, but a doctor makes the final decisions. If she thinks the patient may have a psychiatric or psychological disorder, she can refer him for evaluation and treatment. The doctor also must tell him about alternatives like hospice care, advise him to confer with his family or next of kin, and remind him that it's OK to change his mind at any time. By law, a second physician must review the case and sign off on the first doctor's diagnosis.
A doctor can prescribe lethal drugs two days after receiving a written request, but under no circumstances can she administer them herself. That would be euthanasia, which is illegal in Oregon.

http://www.slate.com/id/2127629/

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
void said:
for anyone still on the fence regarding AS, or simply uninformed, there is an excellent piece on slate..

Many people who are considering assisted suicide contact a patient-advocacy group for help with the procedure and paperwork. Such a group can help to screen out people who are ineligible for assisted suicide, but a doctor makes the final decisions. If she thinks the patient may have a psychiatric or psychological disorder, she can refer him for evaluation and treatment. The doctor also must tell him about alternatives like hospice care, advise him to confer with his family or next of kin, and remind him that it's OK to change his mind at any time. By law, a second physician must review the case and sign off on the first doctor's diagnosis.
A doctor can prescribe lethal drugs two days after receiving a written request, but under no circumstances can she administer them herself. That would be euthanasia, which is illegal in Oregon.

http://www.slate.com/id/2127629/

Thank You.

And on a secondary note, I think it is utter bullshit that the federal government is becoming involved with a personal decision. I cant stand this damn gov sometimes.

Stardust

RageAgainst said:
That's a sad story.. Thanks for sharing :happysad:
I know..but :happysad:
I think you should need to suffer to take a real point of view of AS I think..You cannot know what pain is unless youve experienced it yourself or youve seen it and felt it burning in your soul..or you can..but not for real, because you cannot know the pain unless youve experienced it.. :happysad:

Disadvantaged-c

omfgwtfbbqsteakmix
I would shoot myself or be asked to be shot or killed fast, suffering badly is probally not fun.

Toukin

Flame Bait
Uhm i'd have to agree with some of the others. It should be legal as long as the person is able to make a good judgement about it and for medfical purposes only of coarse. Personally tho it's you life i don't think anyone should be able to say if you can die or not.

I'd definitely opt for the assisted scuicide option, I hate the thought of a slow painful death, especially when you can do nothing about it.

Altohugh it should only be legal if you can prove in some way that the person actually wants to die, like, asking them to blink quickly five times for example

Stardust

Disadvantaged-c said:
I would shoot myself or be asked to be shot or killed fast, suffering badly is probally not fun.

to be shot can be painful if you don't know where to shoot..or you miss.. :happysad:

shakie

retarded since '93.
considering that case, hell id kill myself

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
I think those in such a state should be allowed to have their lives ended, but it would be a great sacrifice and tribute to science if they agreed to stay alive and allow doctors to monitor their state for the purpose of finding a cure.