WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Attention History Buffs.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
With the 60th Anniversary of WWII upon us I thought it would be cool to do kind of a historical report detailing some of the facts and events of the war. Was wondering if there were any other history buffs that wanted to help out? If so PM me pls

Also if anyone has any questions about the war or maybe you just want to know more about a certain event or place please feel free to ask. I am willing to do the research for you. Heck even if you have a piece of family history that you want to share feel free to pm about it or post it in this thread.

Sinamon

~Broken Angel~
_Kitana_ said:
Also if anyone has any questions that they don't understand or can't find an answer for ask away.
There yah go. :thumbsup:

R

RedOctober

Yeah I got a nice one.

Consider august 1944.

Why did the allied supreme command go for operation Market Garden under the command of Montgomery, while Patton could have advanced right into Germany if he would have gotten all the stuff he needed?

RedOctober said:
Yeah I got a nice one.

Consider august 1944.

Why did the allied supreme command go for operation Market Garden under the command of Montgomery, while Patton could have advanced right into Germany if he would have gotten all the stuff he needed?
BEcause the northern border of germany was less defended than the southern, or so they thought.

Because Isenhower (how do you spell his name?) didn't want to say no to Monty. (watched Band of Brothers)

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
Ok my step grandfather faught in ww2, and he faught in the battel of the buldge. He was shot in the arm and single handedly captured a small german platoon. I have spent a great deal of time trying to find anything on him online, but no luck so far. Also if anyone is interested in learning some cool stuff about ww2, read a book called "To hell and back". That is an awsome book.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
what did they eat during the wwII when they were trying not to get killed?

Descent

Hella Constipated
_Kitana_ said:
With the 60th Anniversary of WWII upon us I thought it would be cool to do kind of a historical report detailing some of the facts and events of the war. Was wondering if there were any other history buffs that wanted to help out? If so PM me pls

Also if anyone has any questions about the war or maybe you just want to know more about a certain event or place please feel free to ask. I am willing to do the research for you. Heck even if you have a piece of family history that you want to share feel free to pm about it or post it in this thread.
hitler killed many jews

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
RedOctober said:
Yeah I got a nice one.

Consider august 1944.

Answer: The gathering of troops in Verdun located in the Argonne forest and V-bombs that fell in Montgomery section.

Patton was moving at a rapid and steady pace to advancing ahead however Montgomery was getting bogged down with some simple errors he made and heavy fighting. He was suppose to be in a certain location where they had these v-bombs at that where killing massive amounts of British’s Civilians. Patton simply wasn't in the right area to be able to destroy these bombs.

Another thing is that the germans started to gather forces in the argonne forest close to Verdun. Our allied leaders knew that they were going to launch a heavy attack and needed to stop it as soon as possible. This also by luck of the draw fell in Montgomery section.

So because of these two serious matter our allied leaders had no choice but to supply and support Montgomery with gas and aid. Otherwise I am most certain that they would of had better supported Patton.

DementialWave said:
Because Isenhower (how do you spell his name?) didn't want to say no to Monty. (watched Band of Brothers)
Sorry you are wrong. His name is spelled Eisenhower. They would of probally supported Patton if not for the two reasons above. Patton was moving steadily and at a faster rate than Montgomery but the allied forces had no choice because of where Montgomery section was located.

skullmaster said:
what did they eat during the wwII when they were trying not to get killed?
Answer: http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-food/c-rations.htm

Another question, why were there so many movies made on Normandie and Bulge while the Russian front was so much bigger and sacrifices so much heavier yet there's barely any movie (in English) on those huge battles?

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
There´s a more than interesting movie coming up right now, called "Stalingrad".
Also there are a few interesting movies on the war against Finland and Russia during ww2. If some of you are interested in smthn like that.

What was the correlation between the spanish civil war and the outbreak of WWII?

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
The Spanish Civil War provided a testing ground for various irregular forces for the Reichwehr and the Russian Army. As the Spainards were fighting for their future, the 2 sides sent in their spec ops to try to alter the outcome such that emerging government would be friendlier to their side.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
DementialWave said:
Another question, why were there so many movies made on Normandie and Bulge while the Russian front was so much bigger and sacrifices so much heavier yet there's barely any movie (in English) on those huge battles?
Answer: Because Russia didn't really have an honorable role in WWII. As a matter of fact their actions at the start of the war were kind of what lead up to the cold war and left them with kind of a dim imagine when revisiting the history of WWII.

At the start of the war they were on the same side as Nazi Germany . They betrayed France and Britain who were trying to stop Germany from invading Poland.

See Russia and Germany where going to split Poland and invade the country on two fronts. Which proved affective as they split and tore that country in half leaving it in ruins. Russia was to get one part of poland, which they where all for because the boarders of russia and poland were not clearly defind after WWI.

However Hitler never truly planned on staying friends with Russia. He was just using them to invade Poland and keep France and Britain at bay. After the invasion he attacked Russia and Russia was left to think, "oh shit...." because of the desperation of the Allied forces we allied ourselves with Russia but the terms were luke warm to say the least.

Links:

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/timeline/hitmuss.htm
http://www.kasprzyk.demon.co.uk/www/WW2.html
http://peacecountry0.tripod.com/eastbalt.htm

RetArt said:
What was the correlation between the spanish civil war and the outbreak of WWII?
Answer: The Spanish Civil War gave Germany, Russia a chance to build and flex some military muscles. As some of you may know the Treaty of Versailles left these country pretty powerless as far as military goes. In fact Germany had to turn over all their airplanes, 1500, that where in good conditions. So by intervening in the Spanish Civil War they where able to test new planes and weaponry, with out getting to much notice from other Nations. Looking back it is quite clear that this gave kind of a starting glimpse into the nature of what would be WWII.

Woodreaux said:
The Spanish Civil War provided a testing ground for various irregular forces for the Reichwehr and the Russian Army. As the Spainards were fighting for their future, the 2 sides sent in their spec ops to try to alter the outcome such that emerging government would be friendlier to their side.
Woodreaux you are very much correct.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Oh, and on the account of Russias unhonrable acts, they started the war on Finland by staging it so that it seemed Finland would have "thrown the first stone" aka "Shots of Mainila". Just recently this was corrected to the russian history books.
btw. Finland was the only country that entered russian territory. This was again lost though in the Continuation war.

Russia might have been "unhonorable", but they won Berlin; defeated the nazis.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
RetArt said:
Oh, and on the account of Russias unhonrable acts, they started the war on Finland by staging it so that it seemed Finland would have "thrown the first stone" aka "Shots of Mainila". Just recently this was corrected to the russian history books.
btw. Finland was the only country that entered russian territory. This was again lost though in the Continuation war.

Russia might have been "unhonorable", but they won Berlin; defeated the nazis.
I say this to anyone who tells me that any one country single handily push back nazi Germany and won the war for the allied forces; It was a combined effort. With out Russia, France, Britain and America coming together and working together for the common good of the world we would have lost the war.

Ok here is a queston for you.

Everyone likes to say that the attack on Pearl Harbor was unprovoked. I wonder how much of an effect the American embargo against Japan, keeping much needed supplies out of the hands of the Japnese, Which hindered Japans war effort against China had on the "unprovoked" attack on Pearl Harbor.

Also I would like to know that if our embargo had that much of a impact on the war effort against China what kind of crack where they thinking that they could handle a war on mutiple fronts by bringing the US into the war on the pacific front.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
well, japan had to stabilize their Pacific front. Pearl harbor was strategically too close to their planned front. There is evidence that Washington was many times warned that there will be an attack to PH. They just did not take them seriously, eventhough these included for example a broken encryption from the japanese militia that said there will be a strike then and then. Washington just shrook their elbows and disregarded everything.

It was low, but war is.

pyrodude

The real man's bitch
DementialWave said:
There is one movie that stands out concerning the russian front. Enemy at the Gates. Also this film was based on the true story of Vassili Zaitsev.